cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magic Eraser on EPDM Roof

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Is it safe to use a MagicEraser Mop on an EPDM roof or will this be harmful to it? tks
10 REPLIES 10

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Mild detergent and a push broom.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
ScottG wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Never could figure why a sparkling white roof was so important.
If it doesn't leak, it's doing its job.

And the more you wash away that protective white coating, the shorter the roofs life.

That's exactly why you use RV roof conditioner.

Sorry, slapping on some CHEMICAL CONCOCTION will not "extend" the life of a RV roof, period.

Snake oil at best and at worst leaches a bunch of chemicals down the side of your trailer and on to the ground.

RV roofs ARE "designed" to SHED a microscopic layers ALL THE TIME, they have a DESIGNED LIFETIME of 12-15yrs before needing to be replaced. By that time the white layer will have worn off in places and the black layer will be showing through.

Pretty much any "conditioner" you put on the roof WILL have WASHED OFF at the FIRST rain.. Those conditioners as you put it are typically WATER BASED or SILICONE BASED, cannot be OIL BASED.

Best thing to do is to READ THE ROOF MANUFACTURERS CARE INSTRUCTIONS.. MOST will tell you to NOT use "conditioners"..

As far as black streaks goes, EVERY ROOF I HAVE HAD DOES THIS including vinyl, rubber, fiberglass, aluminum.. Just wash the trailer sides more often and it is much easier to remove.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
downtheroad wrote:

And the more you wash away that protective white coating, the shorter the roofs life.

That's exactly why you use RV roof conditioner.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
downtheroad wrote:

X2

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
downtheroad wrote:

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:

The cleaner the roof, the less black streaking there is on the sides of the trailer. Rain gutters are really very tiny in diameter and water splashes over them real easy, not to mention leaking through seams. Water running over the roof will drag dirt with it, causing streaking.

And just because you are not parked under trees and such, there is enough pollution in the air, that when it rains, all the settles on the roof. Next rain, it streaks. (I think in days gone by, it was called "acid rain.") There's a reason why we do not catch rain water and drink it direct any more you know!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I use a soft bristle long handled brush that attaches to a garden hose. I turn on the water to run at a slow rate and scrub the roof to remove the dirt. I use Simple Green on any spots that don't come clean with just the brush.
Turn the water pressure up to medium to rinse while scrubbing.

The roof always looks f=great when I'm through. I do this once a year.

The RV sits out in the weather 24/7. No trees around so no sap but it does accumulate an oily film plus dirt.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Never used one on the roof, but have for everything else. The roof is the one place I'm hesitant to use one on, but use it on the awning with no problems.

I use only RV rubber roof cleaner and conditioner. The rubber roof is just too much of a risk (in my opinion) to NOT use a cleaner that designed for it. FYI, use the conditioner. It makes the membrane smooth as glass! Feels like it's been waxed and polished when done.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I would highly discourage you from this; those are nothing but sand paper gizmos. That is how they "clean" things. There are manufacturer suggestions on how to clean those roofs. I just use mild car soap and water with a soft brush made for RVs.