cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So hotttt

fallonator22
Explorer
Explorer
So we have the 2016 sandpiper, it came with 2 ac units, 15000btu. One in the front living area which is over the truck bed, and one in the back master bedroom.

We are currently in corpus christi, TX where it is humid hot hell. the norm temps so far have been 90's. Prior to this when we first got the sandpiper about 3 weeks ago, we had been parked in magnolia, texas, more north and we had a few cool days, so it wasn't as brutal.

Either way - we first got down here and our A/C (i've posted about this before) was not cooling properly after like the 2nd day. We like to keep it at 67/68 when we sleep, and try for 70-72 during the day. What i've noticed is that the AC's in RV's run a little hotter than, an apartment AC, per say.

After the 2nd day in corpus, the air was coming out of the vents in the living area, it was cool air, but the temp in that zone was a constant 83 when set to low to mid 70's. Had the guy come out yesterday and he said he could tell a repair or something had been done to it, and that he had to redirect the intake of the air to inside the RV because it was pointed to pull air from in between the RV roof and some paneling underneath. He said other than that, it is working as it should, has plenty of freon, and should be good. After he left, it still never got down to the temp we wanted it, and overnight it still could not get down to the temp we wanted it. Right now it is set to 69 and it is at 73, which is what it's been all night, but it is also overcast and has been raining all night. Just worries me that when it is hot and dry again that it will struggle.

As far as AC's go for RV's - is this normal? Esp for the bigger AC unit? I mean, if that is normal then I guess leaving all the shades shut so it's darker in here trying to cool it down will just be a norm. Also, would it be worth purchasing a stronger unit for the front living? The back bedroom does fine and we have no issues with that one, but it is also cooling a smaller space.
44 REPLIES 44

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Dennis12 wrote:
How long will you be where you are parked. You may want to consider planting a couple trees for shade.

......:B

I don't even have air conditioning in my unit. Never needed it. In fact, out house don't have ac either other than the bedroom (window unit) and it gets turned on for a couple hours before bed and then turned off. AC ruins my sinus.

What s swimming pool, creek or river is for.

Man up.

If our temperatures stayed like Michigan, I could do that. When the pool and lake are also 88-90*+, it is a little difficult to cool off that way also.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

heaterswa
Explorer
Explorer
I went to Menards and bought the super limo black tint and put two layers on my windows. It helped keep the rear bunk area cool as well as keeping the peepers from looking into my daughter's room. I used a spray bottle with soapy water to hang it along with a new utility blade.

The temp probe someone else posted about to check the different areas inside would also be good to check the bearing temps at the wheels.

-Bryan
Me, Wife, 3 daughters, and a woof woof
TV: 06 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4WD / Prodigy / Reese Signature 18K
FW: 07 KZ Durango 315BH / Fifth Airborne / Sidewinder / JT Strong Arm Stabilizers

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
leave your fans running on high also

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I had to camp in 105 degree weather for a week. What I found was I could keep the RV at 72 degrees with a single 13,500 btu A/C.

I found a camping spot that was shady during the afternoon. covered all windows with insulated material. Made sure the door was minimal opened during the heat of the day. Kept a fan going for circulation.

Windows let in the most heat.

Stude55Dog
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a temp gun from Harbor Freight and use it to measure the temps on walls, roof, window glass, temp of air coming out of vents in a/c. It really gives you insight to the temps of all the pieces that make up your rv. I found it interesting to measure temps at the vents as they go away from a/c unit. Vent nearest to a/c unit measures lower than air coming out of main unit? I need to check my ducts for proper taping as well. Just a thought on how you can check temps.

FishOnOne wrote:
time2roll wrote:
fallonator22 wrote:
Well, the guy that came yesterday to fix the AC and some other things, had to come back today. Asked him if 'this is just how it is' with the AC only cooling to 10 degrees below outside temp even tho it's set to 70 all day. He said yes. Lol. So, great. Hope it doesn't get to be 95 again. We are going to get one of those tower fans for the corner I guess!
You may need a second opinion.

Agreed.... We have 2 AC unit's in our conventional camper and it can get pretty cold including camping along the gulf coast.

X3. .

We have a 40'1" fifth wheel that is mostly black on the outside , with high ceilings.. Our 2 AC's can keep us in the lower 70's in Florida in the direct sun, or in Myrtle Beach in all sun. . . .With the outside temps over 100. . . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
fallonator22 wrote:
Well, the guy that came yesterday to fix the AC and some other things, had to come back today. Asked him if 'this is just how it is' with the AC only cooling to 10 degrees below outside temp even tho it's set to 70 all day. He said yes. Lol. So, great. Hope it doesn't get to be 95 again. We are going to get one of those tower fans for the corner I guess!

Agreed.... We have 2 AC unit's in our conventional camper and it can get pretty cold including camping along the gulf coast.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
fallonator22 wrote:

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if it might help to have a dehumidifier working also. I know it helps inside my home.
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
check where your ducts vent out see if they are sealed or if the ac is going in the ceiling as well

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
ac needs on "on" not auto and on high

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I our 40' 3 slide, fifth wheel with 1 15,000 btu and 1 13,500 btu /C's, I can get and maintain our inside temp down to 70* when the outside temps is 112*-115* parked in a asphalt park with no trees in Tunica Ms. with both units cycling. We use the vent cushions. When our skylight inside dome cracked, and I replaced it, I painted the back side and installed R30 insulation in the attic void. This alone made a huge difference in both summer and winter camping.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

fallonator22
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Your goal of having 70 degree inside when it's blazing hot outside may not be realistic - but only get a 10 degree reduction in temperature doesn't sound right either. Have you bothered to measure the temperature coming out of the vent and is it at least 20 degrees cooler than the temp in the rig? Are you using the high fan setting? If not the air conditioner will likely freeze up which will significantly reduce performance.

Haven't measured, need to do that. We keep it on 'auto', I can put it on high though and see if there is a difference. Just figured it would be on high if it's on auto and isn't hitting near what I set it on. It wasn't that bad today, it's just I don't want it to be 95 degrees outside and 85 in here. So, hoping changing it to high will do something. And forget cooking in here using the stove because that cancels out any cool that was ever in here haha

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Your goal of having 70 degree inside when it's blazing hot outside may not be realistic - but only get a 10 degree reduction in temperature doesn't sound right either. Have you bothered to measure the temperature coming out of the vent and is it at least 20 degrees cooler than the temp in the rig? Are you using the high fan setting? If not the air conditioner will likely freeze up which will significantly reduce performance.
Kevin