cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live in Interesting times: Hyundai/ Kia want FCA

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Well the Chnese have been shown the door, but will Hyundai/ Kia be the new suitors for FCA ?
Hyundai / Kia want to purchase FCA

If this does go ahead , it will be the biggest Automobile Company by volume
93 REPLIES 93

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
More news on the Hyundai Global Pickup
Hyundai Australia will be very closely monitoring how the most expensive luxury and performance dual-cab utes perform in Australia over the next couple of years.

That's because the local division is preparing to unleash its own high-end one-tonne load-lugger from around 2020, with an eye on the top end of town.

Although Hyundai has not officially green-lit a one-tonne utilitarian pick-up, or ute as we call them here, alongside the company's US-centric lifestyle Santa Cruz pick-up, executives within the company are openly – and positively – talking about such a vehicles Indeed, the company appears confident a one-tonne ute to rival the top-selling Ford Ranger and Toyota HiLux will happen if and when a new factory is constructed, with evidence pointing towards Thailand.

Andrew Tuitahi, senior manager of product planning at Hyundai Australia, told motoring.com.au that Australia will play a key role in shaping the new ute.

"We're making our way through the first milestones now, providing feedback to head office as to what key criteria need to be met in order to be successful in Australia. Things like towing capacity, engine performance, off-road ability et cetera," said Tuitahi.

The new ute would be expected to be sold in South-East Asia, Africa, South America and of course Australia. But it's not a slam dunk just yet, explains the Hyundai product boss.

"There's a few things that need to take place before we can really be confident in a product coming to market in the next two or three years. So I think first we need to identify a factory, before we go through more milestones before we build the pickup.

"As it stands right now we don’t really see a suitable location. Once that's been finalised then we'll get through the gates pretty quickly," he said.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
heaterswa wrote:
Drool: Mid Engine

If you live in Japan ,Ferrari will do a deal for you.

heaterswa
Explorer
Explorer
Drool: Mid Engine
Me, Wife, 3 daughters, and a woof woof
TV: 06 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4WD / Prodigy / Reese Signature 18K
FW: 07 KZ Durango 315BH / Fifth Airborne / Sidewinder / JT Strong Arm Stabilizers

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
micar wrote:
I think it is funny as hell that the company that brought us the Pony and the Stellar, may soon oversee the manufacture of Ferrari's!!

Actually the will not. Ferrari is in a separate company. So is the CNH/ IVECO business.

micar
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is funny as hell that the company that brought us the Pony and the Stellar, may soon oversee the manufacture of Ferrari's!!
2014 Denali HD 3500 DRW
2017 Cougar 333MKS
Me and the Boss travelling in the wheel estate
Willow and Somer, the non retrieving Golden's....

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I don't have it in me to read 5 pages of posts but wanted to chime in. In the last 5 years I've bought two delivery type cars for my company - a 2014 Kia Soul and 2017 Hyundai Tucson. I only drive them occasionally to get the oil changed and whatnot but can tell you for the money they are really nice vehicles. To be fair, as time moves forward, all cars seem like pretty nice vehicles.

Before purchasing, Kia and Hyundai never would have made my radar but I generally just do internet research of auto magazine testing and opinions. The real benefit that I realized is the cost. The Tucson was roughly 5K less than a comparably equipped Toyota Rav4 and ever bit as good a vehicle.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
DaveF-250SD wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
DaveF-250SD wrote:
The '59 car was heavily modified to produce the "results" they were looking for.

Can you point us to the source of your statement?

The guy that prepped the car did an interview on one of the automotive shows. So many folks were contacting them about the '59 car not having an engine, transmission, or radiator in it, and wondering how the test was not done on an equal basis. With a COMPLETE car, as opposed to a stripped out shell. A lot of other things were done, one of which is they took all the bolts out that held the seat to the floor so it would instantly pop out of place. Many more little things were done, as well.

The articles I read stated the complete opposite. That the car was in running condition. What I read was to dispel those rumors. But I don't believe any of the pieces I read had pictures of the crashed vehicle. Do you know where to find this interview I am curious and would like to watch or read about it.

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
DaveF-250SD wrote:
The '59 car was heavily modified to produce the "results" they were looking for.

The guy that prepped the car did an interview on one of the automotive shows. So many folks were contacting them about the '59 car not having an engine, transmission, or radiator in it, and wondering how the test was not done on an equal basis. With a COMPLETE car, as opposed to a stripped out shell. A lot of other things were done, one of which is they took all the bolts out that held the seat to the floor so it would instantly pop out of place. Many more little things were done, as well.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
DaveF-250SD wrote:
The British transportation authority tested a smart car into an immovable concrete barrier placed at a 45 degree angle to the car's right side while traveling at 60 kph, or 36 miles per hour. Crash dummy inside has measuring devices which indicated shock values far beyond what the human body can withstand, ruling such a crash with a live person aboard would be guaranteed fatal. The video with the '59 Chevrolet vs. the new Impala is a farce. The '59 car was heavily modified to produce the "results" they were looking for.

Believe the test was between a new Malibu, not new Impala and the '59 Chevy.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who gives a rats behind about Smart cars? I have to say the Kia Sorento my wife loves has 225K miles on it and has had 1 water pump and a fuel pump replaced. One of the toughest little cars we ever had. Putting another set of tires on tomorrow.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
DaveF-250SD wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
The British transportation authority tested a smart car into an immovable concrete barrier placed at a 45 degree angle to the car's right side while traveling at 60 kph, or 36 miles per hour. Crash dummy inside has measuring devices which indicated shock values far beyond what the human body can withstand, ruling such a crash with a live person aboard would be guaranteed fatal. The video with the '59 Chevrolet vs. the new Impala is a farce. The '59 car was heavily modified to produce the "results" they were looking for.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nor does FCA.
Smart Car recently rescinded most of their franchises in the US per Automotive News.
Puma 30RKSS

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
How did this discussion devolve into a diatribe about the Smart Car?

Even Consumer Reports does not recommend the Smart Car. Their take is it has a bad ride, noisy, very poor performance, and the the MPG ain't great for what it is. In summary, it's a terrible car to have to drive around compared to what's out there, and they recommend many other choices before the Smart Car.

They are only used in parts of Europe where parking is diabolical. Hyundai/ Kia do not make Smart Cars