Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pay with Gas Buddy

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anybody else see this?

Apparently it works like a fleet card. You get a plastic card to use at the pump, then you enter your PIN/DriverID and the money is directly debited from your checking account.

5 cents a gallon at most places. They specifically use the words gas and gasoline several places, so I would assume it doesn't apply to Diesel purchases unless someone knows otherwise. ARCO, BJs, Sam's, Costco and HEB are apparently the major chains who DON'T accept it.

ETA: $75 daily limit, and a $300 weekly limit

Existing loyalty discounts might still apply if they don't require use of a credit card.

This is accomplished via Wright Express, which is a very widely used fleet card company.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73
33 REPLIES 33

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Krogers and it's various chains has a 35 gal limit. One Christmas we bought gift cards at 4 for 1 points for everyone. Took the MH to the Frys station for 35 gal at $1.00/gal off then another 35 gal at $0.40/gal off.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Giant Eagle stores and Get-Go gas stations.. is 30 gallons.
one time I got $1.20 off posted price... but mostly its 40 to 60 cents off.

my truck holds 35 gallons.. so. but I carry a 5 gallon gas can, just in case ๐Ÿ™‚

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like another way to loose your account info. Around here some places give you a few cents discount if you pay with cash. And, if they accept checks that is considered cash.

My local HyVee grocery store chain teamed up with a local Casey's gas station chain to give you cents off per gallon if you purchase certain groceries when they are on sale. The lowest I ever got doing that was 96 cents a gallon. They only let you purchase 20 gallons at a time that way though. (or is it 25?)

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch,

The Swipe & Save which I have is 3 cents/gal gas or diesel.

The link you provided is to the GS charge card.

The only advantage for the charge card AFAIC is that at the truck pumps you swipe, fuel, go and the charge will be deducted from your account.

The Swipe & Save will start the truck pump but you pay inside. At the car/RV pumps you can pay at the pumps with another card.

The net is that with Swipe & Save you have a 3 cents/gal discount plus in my case 5% CC cash back or 13 cents for fuel at $2.03/gal vs 8 cents for the charge card.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
No one gets my bank account info. If I set up auto payment it is a push from my account not a pull from the creditor.
If you ever write a check they do.

Never written a check on my checking accounts.
Just out of curiosity, why do you have a "checking" account?

a good question? why not just have a smaller separate savings account to link a debit card to.
bumpy

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
darsben1 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
No one gets my bank account info. If I set up auto payment it is a push from my account not a pull from the creditor.

Just out of curiosity, why do you have a "checking" account?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

Dutch,

Please explain your combining statement. My understanding is that the GS/FJ card is a charge card and you cannot pay with another card and get the GS card discount and a discount from a second card.

The regular Good Sam "Swipe & Save" membership card gets the same 5 cents per gallon gas discount (8 cents on diesel) as the GS RV Plus charge card. Once you swipe the GS card, you're prompted for your payment method.

Good Sam Club Instant Discounts
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
darsben1 wrote:

Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
Just use the Gas Buddy App you will save by driving a few miles away from major highways, current spread in my area is .30 in a 3.5 mile radius. I'll save more with a short drive. Truck stops get premium prices for their fuel.

Around here the Love's truck stop is ~5ยข per gallon less than most of the local shops but it's on the wrong side of the freeway for me, not worth 5+ minute detour to save 50-75ยข. I actually find your statement interesting, they certainly can't charge a premium for diesel, truckers have too big of tanks, if you're fleecing them they'll just go down the road to someone with better prices. Heck, many of them avoid whole states with high taxes.

Really? Local Murphy Express $2.38, Petro, Flying J & Pilot $2.99, I have two diesel pickups and owned a class 8 the took 150 gallons with half tank. Even with the GS discount of .5 do the math, you will save more than 75 cents. The big trucks use the truck stops due to maneuvering room, and multi high flow pumps, and fuel cards, parking for sleep, restaurants and showers. It's a lot easier maneuvering 14K at 50ft than 80K at 75ft. And yes I did skip states with high fuel costs with 300 gallon tanks X 5-6 mpg I could cross multi states on a single fill. Play with the app and look at the price differences, truck stops will always be higher 100% of the time.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I've seen the Gas Buddy card promotion emails, but it doesn't compare well with our PenFed Visa Rewards Card and its 5% (not cents) per gallon cash rebate with no limits. Combining that with the GS/PFJ 5 cents (8 cents for diesel) discount, and that's about as good as it gets.

Thanks for the info! 5% on gas, 3% on groceries, and 1% on everything else is the best deal I've seen without restrictions or monthly limits. I'm signing up tomorrow, had my current card for 17 years through several acquisitions and been a bit ticked off at BoA since 08 but never enough to switch since I always saw the promos from other cards as a bait and switch but the penfed offer looks legit and I love giving business to credit unions over banks.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edd505 wrote:
Just use the Gas Buddy App you will save by driving a few miles away from major highways, current spread in my area is .30 in a 3.5 mile radius. I'll save more with a short drive. Truck stops get premium prices for their fuel.

Around here the Love's truck stop is ~5ยข per gallon less than most of the local shops but it's on the wrong side of the freeway for me, not worth 5+ minute detour to save 50-75ยข. I actually find your statement interesting, they certainly can't charge a premium for diesel, truckers have too big of tanks, if you're fleecing them they'll just go down the road to someone with better prices. Heck, many of them avoid whole states with high taxes.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
price spreads, especially for Diesel are amazing. One town can be 30 cents per gallon higher than the next town. I always try to fill my truck at a volume station. Diesel sitting in an underground tank for a long period worries me.

The company I retired from had 2 30,000 gallon underground fiberglass storage tanks for diesel that they fueled their semi's with and they had electronic monitoring on them. They always had a couple inches of water under the diesel fuel. You could see it on the monitor. I sometimes wonder how much water are in your local filling station's fuel tanks. Most stations don't have a sophisticated monitor like my retired from company did.

The, we have the e-gas scenario where e-gas attracts water... another story.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Never fear, Experian leaked it.
It was Equifax this time.

I got the 'E' right anyway....;)
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold