cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newmar Canyon Star question

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know why Newmar doesn't have outlets mounted in the wall in the kitchen/galley in the Canyon Stars? Seems so odd to me since one of their selling points are their thicker walls and higher quality construction. And they have wall mounted outlets in the living room I believe.

I do not want cords hanging down from cabinets in whatever we purchase for a Class A. The Tiffin Allegro has three wall outlets in the kitchen/galley.
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17
19 REPLIES 19

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
I asked Chris Anderson at Mount Comfort RV about why Newmar refuses to place outlets in their kitchen walls. Chris has some pretty informative Newmar videos on YouTube and he seemed like a good soure of info.

Here is Chris' answer sent by email:
"Newmar doesn't want to ugly up the back splash. I don't really agree with this, but the outlets in the kitchen are on the underside of the overhead cabinets. Everywhere else in the coach they will do outlets in the wall."
Andy
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

Bruce_Brown
The issue is I worked on that thing constently. The lack of engineering was surprising. Since then other friends had nothing but problems with an Allegro Bus. After many trips back to Red Bay they gave up and went back to Winnie.

Just a few months ago I looked extensively and an Allegro Red. I saw numerous things on that one that led me to believe it was still nothing I'd want any part of.

Just my opinion. I know many people like them, I'm not one of them. I was the one who recommended the Allegro to my parents, that's something I wouldn't do again.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bruce Brown wrote:
fpresto wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
The Allegro gasser is pretty entry level. My parents was an Allegro gasser, it was real basic. Press wood cabinets, plastic toilet, etc.

I don't know what year your Allegro your parents had but it must have been very old. My Allegro has solid wood cabinets, a porcelain toilet etc.. It is anything but entry level.

Bruce, you post about a Tiffin that is 13 years old. What amazes me is people post a critique about a Brand/model 13 YEARS OLD and then have no clue that maybe in 13 years the unit has upgrades depending on the market. Tiffin has NEVER had press wood cabinets. Of course I can only go back to 1978 in my knowledge of Tiffin:) There are BASIC units and then those basic units can have upgrades. PLASTIC TOILETS???? They have been standard for years on all brands and models of motorhomes. Go up the food chain and you will have Porcelain toilets. It ALL depends on the model and options available for those models. Doug

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
irishtom29 wrote:
I was quite taken aback by the Ventana, I'd expected better.

It is their entry level to the larger coaches.

So, Is Canyon Star WAAAY below Entry level? because it has shorter coaches and Larger coaches just like the Ventana?

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
irishtom29 wrote:

LOL. looks like everything is Entry level until you get to the Diesel class A's. Dang, one just can't win. LOL

Bruce_Brown
fpresto wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
The Allegro gasser is pretty entry level. My parents was an Allegro gasser, it was real basic. Press wood cabinets, plastic toilet, etc.

I don't know what year your Allegro your parents had but it must have been very old. My Allegro has solid wood cabinets, a porcelain toilet etc.. It is anything but entry level.

Bruce & Jill Brown

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
irishtom29 wrote:

No, the Ventana LE is that, the Ventana is second up their line of their diesels.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:

USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer
I have found the Allegro followed closely by the Canyon Star to be the nicest, highest quality gassers out there. It is the quality construction by Newmar that still has me looking at the Canyon Star.
Andy
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Allegro Open Road gasser and it has nicer cabinets and drawers than a new Ventana I looked at. The Allegro uses solid wood or plywood, including drawer bottoms. No wall scrap drawers like the Ventana. I was quite taken aback by the Ventana, I'd expected better.

Bruce_Brown
Chainwright wrote:
Andy F wrote:
Does anyone know why Newmar doesn't have outlets mounted in the wall in the kitchen/galley in the Canyon Stars? Seems so odd to me since one of their selling points are their thicker walls and higher quality construction. And they have wall mounted outlets in the living room I believe.

I do not want cords hanging down from cabinets in whatever we purchase for a Class A. The Tiffin Allegro has three wall outlets in the kitchen/galley.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Canyon star it's in my top 5, But I must ask why would you compare a Canyon star to an Allegro? in any aspect? I'd say the Allegro is more in the class of a Dutch star or Ventana. Do the later 2 have outlets mounted in the walls? I'm just thinking out loud. Because at this point i'm as curious as you are.

I believe you're thinking Allegro Bus, not Allegro gasser. The Allegro gasser is pretty entry level. My parents was an Allegro gasser, it was real basic. Press wood cabinets, plastic toilet, etc.

Mr Wizard, Newmar uses aluminum studed walls. All the other outlets are set in the walls like your house. It's only in the kitchen slides that they do the outlets like that.
Bruce & Jill Brown

MrWizard
i'll give it one GUESS

welded tubing structure walls !

to run wiring you have to put holes through the tubing

just like we do in the wall studs in a house

much less work and does not weaken the walls
to run the wiring in the cabinets

this Safari is built the same way

the only 'wall' outlets or lights are in 'soffets' sticking a few inches from the wall, the wiring comes down into there from the cabinets

i think this is common, in RVs that do not use wooden prefab walls
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
Andy F wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love the Canyon star it's in my top 5, But I must ask why would you compare a Canyon star to an Allegro? in any aspect? I'd say the Allegro is more in the class of a Dutch star or Ventana. Do the later 2 have outlets mounted in the walls? I'm just thinking out loud. Because at this point i'm as curious as you are.