cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator help Gearbox toyhauler

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
My son has a FLEETWOOD GEARBOX 300FS .. Can.t locate how to run the air con off the generator.. Need help please,,..
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad
6 REPLIES 6

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
T bone wrote:
I found the problem..A wire had came loose on the ATS and caused some burning.. Got it going for now and have a new ATS ordered. $109.00.Thanks for help .

I'm glad you figured it out.

Tell your boy to come and join the forum. We don't bite.

That would be great..But I am the designated "go To Guy". Thanks for help!
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

dedmiston
T bone wrote:
I found the problem..A wire had came loose on the ATS and caused some burning.. Got it going for now and have a new ATS ordered. $109.00.Thanks for help .

I'm glad you figured it out.

Tell your boy to come and join the forum. We don't bite.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

dedmiston
Hey T Bone. We ought to be able to solve this.

Does the AC run when he's plugged into shore power? That will tell you whether it's trouble with the AC or trouble with power.

Then like Y Guy said, is the gen powering anything else, like charging the batteries and powering the coffee maker? That's the most likely source of trouble in my experience. I don't know if the Gearbox has an automatic transfer switch or not. My old Weekend Warrior didn't have one, so I had to manually plug the shore-power plug into the 30A receptacle near the converter, which was the output of the generator. My newer trailer has a transfer switch, so a few seconds after starting the gen I hear a thump and a bing as the power source switches from 12v to 120 and all my appliances come alive.

If that isn't the problem...

What do you know about his thermostat(s)? (Does he have more than one? My rig has three ACs and three thermostats.) Can he switch the fan on? Can he get the furnace on? Most RV thermostats are cheapos, so his might need to be replaced.

My trailer also has a mysterious switch that nobody could figure out. I finally activated it by accident. It turns out that I can only run two out of three air conditioners at any one time. There's a rocker switch in the ceiling in the bedroom (that I have now labeled) that activates either the bedroom or the garage AC. So for either of those ACs to come on, three conditions need to be met: The thermostat needs to be on, the temp needs to be above the thermostat setting, and that rocker switch needs to be in the right position corresponding to that AC.

I can't think of anything else right now, but give us some more details and some more clues to work with. I bet we solve it with you.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Y-Guy
I'm pretty sure that rig came with the Onan 5500 generator. Also came with two tanks from the literature I found, 30 & 18 Gallons. Here are a few thoughts.

On the Onan itself open the cover in the upper left corner possibly under a bundle of wires there should be two breakers, make sure both are ON.

I don't know if the RV has a transfer switch, which would auto transfer between generator or the plug in. If not then the plug will have a place on the RV, usually in the same bay as the cord that it plugs into. Inside the RV there might be a switch that toggles between Generator and Power Cord as well.

Does anything else work when the generator is running?

What exactly is happening with the generator is on and you try to run the AC? Does the AC run when you plug it into the house?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
That's kind of vague. Is the generator built in? Does the generator run? Does the air conditioner work on shore power? Do you have a transfer switch? Did you plug the trailer's power cord into the generator outlet?