cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Piezo lighter

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I added a piezo bbq grill piezo lighter to the oven in my rv. It worked for a long while and for some reason it no longer makes a spark. I am wondering if I have to replace the whole thing. It was a pain to run the wire thru behind the oven so I wonder if I can just replace the striker...
10 REPLIES 10

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a problem, sometimes expression doesn't come across well in a post, and a person comes off as a bit snarky when it wasn't really meant that way.

No harm done. Apologies from me, as it appears no offense was meant.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, Sorry.

I didn't read the whole thread and I will be more careful in the future. Wasn't trying to start a war or notin though. Just wanted to tell the story of the 50 year old school clock that still keeps perfect time.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
clean the 2 tips... works for me. its electric per say. like dirty spark plugs...

the electric can not "JUMP" the gap.. clean it.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Wikipedia piezo_ignition wrote:
Piezo ignition is a type of ignition that is used in portable camping stoves, gas grills and some lighters, and potato cannons. Piezo ignition uses the principle of piezoelectricity, which, in short, is the electric charge that accumulates in some materials in response to high pressure. It consists of a small, spring-loaded hammer which, when a button is pressed, hits a crystal of PZT or quartz crystal. Quartz is piezoelectric, which means that it creates a voltage when deformed. This sudden forceful deformation produces a high voltage and subsequent electrical discharge, which ignites the gas.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Most of the replacement lighters are battery powered. If yours sparks as long as you hold the button down, it's battery powered. Unscrew the button to replace the battery.

Golly, most of the ones I've seen on the cheaper grills are NOT battery powered. If it truly is a Piezo lighter then it just makes a spark from friction.

It was invented by a guy who saw a monk fall and die lighting candles in his church. He went on to invent all soft of safety equipment. The fire alarms in my school were made by the company he founded. The clocks and bells were part of the system. When the school closed I got one of the clocks. It is 50 years old and still keeps perfect time. He also invented the bell that they ring for the start of trading on the stock exchange.

I forget his name unfortunately.
Golly, if you'd been paying attention you'd have noticed I said "replacement lighters". And I never noticed anyone specifying "cheaper grills". If you feel the need to read between the lines at least make sure you're on the same page.

And peizo electric ignitors do not work by friction. Do some background reading.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Most of the replacement lighters are battery powered. If yours sparks as long as you hold the button down, it's battery powered. Unscrew the button to replace the battery.

Golly, most of the ones I've seen on the cheaper grills are NOT battery powered. If it truly is a Piezo lighter then it just makes a spark from friction.

It was invented by a guy who saw a monk fall and die lighting candles in his church. He went on to invent all soft of safety equipment. The fire alarms in my school were made by the company he founded. The clocks and bells were part of the system. When the school closed I got one of the clocks. It is 50 years old and still keeps perfect time. He also invented the bell that they ring for the start of trading on the stock exchange.

I forget his name unfortunately.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
If it's the batteryless kind then it is possible to get replacement pushbutton thingies that will fix the problem if that's the cause of the lack of spark. However, it may be because the wire has shorted out or broken somewhere, too; the pushbutton thingies are fairly robust in my (limited) experience. If the button isn't clacking like it should then that's a different story altogether, of course.

You may have to buy a whole kit to get the pushbutton part easily.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Hum, I do not remember a battery when I installed it but I will check that tomorrow....thanks...

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check the battery? These usually have a double A or triple A battery that a last a pretty long time. Just had to replace the one on my grill at home after about 7 years.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3