cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CB Radio???

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I was on the road today in my car and a question popped into my head....

Do trucks still use CB radios today with all of the tech available? Is it a good option to add along with an RV GPS for newbies?

What say you?
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)
35 REPLIES 35

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Harley Doc wrote:
As a registered ham operator, I like my 2M for general communications but I see the advantages of a CB for traffic, etc. A related questions for the group: I don't want to drill a hole in the roof of my 2017 ford SD, and mag mounts won't work on the aluminum bodies How are you mounting your antennas?

There are various clamp on antenna mounts available. There are also mounts that fit along side the hood, and are bolted or screwed to the fender under the hood. AES and HRO both have such mounts in their catalogs.
73, KJ7POE If in the Billings area, give me a shout on the 147.360 repeater (standard offset, 100hz sub-audible tone) or the 145.410 (standard offset, 100 Hz tone). Those repeaters are linked. I might be by the radio. Or, check in on Uncle Don's Early Morning net, 0800 lcl time, M-F, same repeaters.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Blutoyz, We have one, though we rarely use it. When used it is primarily for weather conditions...as we do a bit of winter travel.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Harley Doc wrote:
As a registered ham operator, I like my 2M for general communications but I see the advantages of a CB for traffic, etc. A related questions for the group: I don't want to drill a hole in the roof of my 2017 ford SD, and mag mounts won't work on the aluminum bodies How are you mounting your antennas?

on my fiberglass roof I thought if the thru glass didn't work OK, that I would just stick a round piece of metal (round electrical box cover) on the top with silicone seal or something similar. Only use of Silicone Seal on a RV that makes sense to me.
bumpy

Harley_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
Harley Doc

2017 F350
2016 Wildcat
2017 Triumph Bonneville
2011 HD Road King

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I use thru the glass antennas on mine. but I found out that thru the glass does NOT work on dual pain windows.
bumpy

It's probably not the dual pane per se as much as some sort of coating on the glass to promote energy efficiency. Low e glass has a very very thin metallic or metallic oxide coating, thin enough to not block visible light significantly but still sufficient to block other radiation through the window (including, apparently, CB radio frequencies).

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
WE have a cb in our MoHo and we also have a 9 year old grand daughter in it. So, we do squelch it, but when we see a traffic jam developing, we open it up to see what is happening. The truck drivers can be verbose, but then they don't realize that children could be their audience.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I use thru the glass antennas on mine. but I found out that thru the glass does NOT work on dual pain windows.
bumpy

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
nineoaks2004 wrote:
I just got one given to me, I just need and antenna and it is going in my TV. Handy when traveling, after 22 1/2 yrs in the Navy, they cannot come up with something I have never heard (or said) It is just nice to know what is ahead.

I recommend buying a Wilson Antenna. The length of the antenna will determine the effectiveness of your CB, i.e, clarity of transmission and distance. Little cute 14" antennas do not do the job.

I have very good reception on that hand held I posted about. 'Without' an outside antenna. These aren't your 70' CB's of days gone by that you needed a 100 ft antenna waving off your car to get reception! :B

You have to think about how far these cb's have come from the 70's. Especially the 'output' side of it.

These truckers today have kickers that are FAR more powerful then they were back in the day. I got reception from miles and miles away without an outside antenna. And yes I was surprised to see this.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I still have my CB that I bought when I was 16 (42 years ago). I need to get it in the motorhome.
We use the CB all the time on the motorcycles(Goldwings), everytime we ride as a group.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
I've had CB radio's since I was a kid(some 50 + year's) and while I don't talk much anymore on them, I always have it on when traveling down the road. Many times it gives you ample warning of what's going on ahead of you even if that info is only for curiosity sake. I will agree that the use of CB is not what it use to be but then again, what is?
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have mine on in my truck 100% of the time. can get good information from oncoming trucks , etc. if you rely on a "magic" phone, who ya gonna call, ghost busters?
it is rare that I hear "salty language" any more. think those complaining are remembering 20 years ago.
what is all this "alternate technology " available that will do what a CB does?
bumpy

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
I had a K-4 48" magnetic mount antenna.... worked well, and was not a permanent fixture on the truck

X1, I did the same with my Wilson antenna. I can just unscrew the antenna from the magnetic base. I do this when I have to go into Airports because of the height restrictions.

I had a K-4 48" magnetic mount antenna.... worked well, and was not a permanent fixture on the truck
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
nineoaks2004 wrote:
I just got one given to me, I just need and antenna and it is going in my TV. Handy when traveling, after 22 1/2 yrs in the Navy, they cannot come up with something I have never heard (or said) It is just nice to know what is ahead.

I recommend buying a Wilson Antenna. The length of the antenna will determine the effectiveness of your CB, i.e, clarity of transmission and distance. Little cute 14" antennas do not do the job.