cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I add water to the batteries?

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
How can I tell which batteries are "sealed" and which batteries should have water added?
11 REPLIES 11

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Even on "maintenance free" starting batteries the water level should be checked about every 12 months for MAXIMUM LIFE ! You will probably need a screw driver or small/thin pry bar to get the caps off.

I am surprised this has not come up but, if you have city water, you can use it straight for topping off. If you have well water, I would suggest buying distilled water.

Totally disagree with using city water.

If you were to top off with Yuma city water a new battery will be in your near future.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
if you have no idea what your doing ask a friend or another camper batteries can be very dangerous ,they can explode.
It's pretty rare. The only way it happens is if the battery has been discharging lot's of hydrogen gas and someone creates a spark near the battery. Won't happen by just opening up a cell or cells to fill it.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
There is no such thing as a sealed flooded lead acid battery. That's a marketing gimmick. I have yet to see a flooded lead acid battery that you can't get the "caps" off.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Even on "maintenance free" starting batteries the water level should be checked about every 12 months for MAXIMUM LIFE ! You will probably need a screw driver or small/thin pry bar to get the caps off.

I am surprised this has not come up but, if you have city water, you can use it straight for topping off. If you have well water, I would suggest buying distilled water.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
if you have no idea what your doing ask a friend or another camper batteries can be very dangerous, they can explode.

True. I have seen a lead acid battery explode, and while rare, it's pretty violent.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if you have no idea what your doing ask a friend or another camper batteries can be very dangerous ,they can explode.

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
If the cell caps come off with a twist and pull of your fingers then you should lift the caps and check the water level.

Use distilled only. Fully charge first. Fill to 1/4" to 1/8" below the split ring that extends down into the cell. Just touching is absolute max.

If you are using a screwdriver or other tool to open the battery it is sealed. Leave it alone.
Picture of the top would help or at least a better description of the brand and model.

I disagree, with your statement."If you are using a screwdriver or other tool to open the battery it is sealed. Leave it alone".
My battery tops has a slot that you can open with a flat screw driver or a dime or quarter for each cap. my camper stays plug in year around so every 3 months I check the water level.
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adding Water
Generally, a certain amount of water loss is normal in all batteries, and it should be replaced with โ€œpureโ€ tap water or distilled water. In some areas around the country, tap water may contain chemicals or other impurities harmful to batteries. If water is needed, add just enough to bring the electrolyte to the proper level. Batteries should be filled only at the end of the charging cycle. Overfilling is the most common error made when watering, and it can cause tray corrosion. Because tray corrosion can cause EXTENSIVE DAMAGE to batteries and vehicles, extreme caution must be taken to avoid overfilling the batteries.

http://www.crownbattery.com/faqs

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand the electrolyte expands a bit when charged vs discharged.
Yes if it is 85+ percent charged it is probably fine.
Just to avoid overfill.

Although I have never monitored the full effect so maybe it is minor enough to be ignored?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Ummm, wouldn't filling first then charging second, allow the cell to mix more thoroughly?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the cell caps come off with a twist and pull of your fingers then you should lift the caps and check the water level.

Use distilled only. Fully charge first. Fill to 1/4" to 1/8" below the split ring that extends down into the cell. Just touching is absolute max.

If you are using a screwdriver or other tool to open the battery it is sealed. Leave it alone.
Picture of the top would help or at least a better description of the brand and model.