Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will plumbing freeze? Toronto to Vancouver Mid-November

Bobroham
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am planning on taking my first long trip with my new 5th wheel from Toronto to Vancouver in mid-November. I am planning on using all facilities once I get to Vancouver, I am just worried about freezing along the way (through the mountains and across Canada). I have also never winterized as I am a new owner.

1) Should I winterize before leaving? (I am going to Vancouver with above-freezing temps during winter)

2) Would it make any sense to travel through the US instead of Canada to avoid cold weather and winterizing? (I do not wish to have an excessive detour as it is already a 40 hour trip)
37 REPLIES 37

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago, got caught in a snowstorm outside jasper in late September, my tow vehicle is a gmc duramax, trailer is a 27 foot cougar fifth. It snowed a foot, while we drove to jasper up the icefields parkway, something I will not do again. I drive truck for a living, but needed four wheel drive just to control my rig in ever deepening snow. Been pulling fifths for thirty years, I was surprised at how much the trailer wanted to push the truck around, kept the speed down, watched cars ditch several times, made it to jasper and woke up next morning to a foot of fresh heavy snow.
Don't do it, unless you're VERY experienced with this stuff.

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Juneau cannot be reached by a land route by automobile from the Lower 48. You have to either fly or float in. Maybe Seward, AK???

Duh, you're right, caught the ferry in Haines. Been a while. Haines highway was a trip, snowflakes the size of quarters at night in the headlights and a super wide steep road made you dizzy.
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Juneau cannot be reached by a land route by automobile from the Lower 48. You have to either fly or float in. Maybe Seward, AK???
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Indeed. In my years in Manitoba I don't recall one in which there was not freezing weather in October, let alone November.

True story, but off topic:

Was traveling around North America with a buddy in a 72 VW camper van, back in the 90s, and we blew our engine in the Okanagan Valley in late August.

After we rebuilt it by mid-September we decided we wanted to check out Alaska and determined we better get going before "winter set in."

1000 miles later we arrived in Dawson City. And winter had already set in. But we had traveled too far to turn back, so we kept going up the AlCan Hiway. And winter kept setting in.

We eventually got across the border to Tok Junction, after a 3' snowfall the night before, had a couple beers at a bar, and decided mission was accomplished and turned back.

Opted to catch a car ferry in Juneau and shortcut most of the trip south, landing at Prince Rupert.

This was when a significant portion of the AlCan was still unpaved. Brutal trip in such a marginal vehicle, but worth every second. Now we know why they call it the Great White North.

Anyway, back on topic.
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
Winterize, check on weather, if road conditions are bad... pull over and wait it out. When I transported RVs, two yrs ago, made many trips through the Rockies. From Indiana, through North Dakota and Sask., the heavy head winds and the ice were worse then the trips through the Rockies, making deliveries up to Prince George, BC and to the coast Langley, Abbotsford. From Oregon to Yellowknife, NWT. From November right through to April. Saw it all, like I said I would be more concerned with the winds and ice through Man, Sask and southern AB, they'll be headwinds all the way.
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bobroham wrote:
I am planning on taking my first long trip with my new 5th wheel from Toronto to Vancouver in mid-November.

WAY too late for a trip like this, so far north - mid-September would have been more like it. As mentioned, snow in and around Calgary already. :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
Would not have wanted to be pulling a trailer through Calgary yesterday as highway 1 was closed for many hours east of Calgary due to snow and bad weather. It has started lol...
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

mogman
Explorer
Explorer
Just a reminder that in B.C. you are required by law to use snow tires as of Oct 1 on any of the highways outside of the immediate lower mainland (Vancouver)
'15 Ford Transit 250, 3.5 ecoboost, 3:73 ls
'12 Lance 1685

Westernskies
Explorer
Explorer
The prairies are notorious for getting the first major cold snap in November, and i'm talking -20 to -30C for a week. Lived it my whole life. Afraid you are going to have to winterize for the trip, but enjoy the warm weather when you arrive in Van.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bobroham wrote:
It looks like I should definitely winterize if leaving in November. I hope it's not too difficult of a procedure.

I didn't really consider that the mountain passes in AB/BC might be quite bad in November. Is the Montana/Idaho/Washington route safer at that time of year?

I am also considering leaving now and flying back for the wedding I have in November.. just hard to justify the additional cost of flying.
Yes you need to winterize. Salt on the roads is destructive to RV'S as well. Have you ever pulled a RV on snow and ice?

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobroham wrote:
It looks like I should definitely winterize if leaving in November. I hope it's not too difficult of a procedure.

I didn't really consider that the mountain passes in AB/BC might be quite bad in November. Is the Montana/Idaho/Washington route safer at that time of year?

I am also considering leaving now and flying back for the wedding I have in November.. just hard to justify the additional cost of flying.

That is really your best option! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Sorry. For the benefit of those south of us, BC usually lords it over the rest of Canada how warm (read "rain") it is there in the winter. As an easterner (i.e. east of BC) I had to point out how mild -5C to -10C is to the rest of Canada.

I got the joke
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
portliz wrote:
Your life is worth the additional cost. Driving through the Rockies in November is a dangerous idea.
Nonsense. These days, with all the ability to see the road conditions ahead of time, it just takes common sense and a willingness to wait out the bad stuff.

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
I would rather pay the money for a couple flights rather than a possible insurance deductible. Not to mention the effects of road salt and sand on a brand new rig.