cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Decal removal off a metal sided rv

Jdereu
Explorer
Explorer
I see a bunch of threads on removing decals on a fiberglass rv but how would you go about removing them from an aluminum sided rv? I want to remove them because they are faded and crack
6 REPLIES 6

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the decals are weathered and cracking, the heat gun method wonโ€™t work as well.
Use the 3m eraser wheel then follow up with Goo Gone to remove any adhesive left.

You can also buy plastic razor blades to help with that urge to scrape something off the paint during the removal process.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hair drier or heat gun on low to remove the decal. Naptha or some such product to remove any residual glue.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
Try "Goo Gone" which is usually sold at most autoparts stores or maybe even Walmart.
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
I'd pick up a plastic scraper so you don't damage the paint.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Same method. Use a heat gun held about 8~10" away and start pulling. You will feel when there's enough heat. You don't get it anywhere close to being hot enough to hurt the paint - just nice and warm.
You can even do it with a hair drier but it would go far slower.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Check `remove decals' for more info. One removed decals from a car; presumable it was metal.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)