cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new from western Pa

GaryRay
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are both retired and looking to see this great country. Camped all my life as a kid and still pitch a tent. We are looking now for a T.T. (looked at a few). Were in western Pa and looking to leave early spring. Lot of good info on here. Gary & Deb
9 REPLIES 9

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Awhile back I purchased a 3/4T that was perfectly suited to my then TT. I spent quite a bit getting it setup and equipped just the way I wanted it.

A few years later I decided to upgrade to a FW that was right at the limit for my truck if I loaded very carefully. I ended up replacing a truck I was very happy with that had many years and miles of useful service left in it.

The moral of the story is; donโ€™t buy a truck for this RV but for the next one.
Larry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good luck in your search and future endeavors!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
New here too....seems to be quite a few good people here to help out
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Many people are happy with a smaller trailer or motorhome. Less cost, less trouble in traffic and parking, etc can make a more enjoyable holiday. Unless you are fulltiming less could be more for you. Those of us who are used to tenting can enjoy managing with much less.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Where abouts in Western PA are you from? I'm in Canonsburg, just south of Pittsburgh.

If you are going to be buying a truck and camper at the same time, I'd suggest picking out a camper you want first, then buying the truck that can pull it. I know you said you were looking at TT's, but until you actually pick one out, you never know. If you do end up with a TT, a 3/4 ton truck will likely be enough. I have a '13 Ram 2500 Cummins and it pulls out 33ft Jayco Eagle (about 10,000#) just fine. But there's no sense buying a 3/4 ton truck, then decide you really like a big 5th wheel and realize you don't have enough truck.

GaryRay
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Welcome! You should be in for a lot of good times and good memories.

If by early spring you mean in freezing weather, that may drive some different requirements for your trailer than otherwise (depending partly what direction you're heading). Many travel trailer water systems are not well or at all set up for operation in sub-freezing weather.

If possible, I suggest having your first camping trip with the trailer in your own driveway. That gives you a chance to figure out how things work and to find the nearly inevitable forgotten important item or two.
Thanks for the welcome. April/may start. Driveway camping makes sense, thanks. Looking at tow vehicles now. Thinking 3/4 ton

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome! You should be in for a lot of good times and good memories.

If by early spring you mean in freezing weather, that may drive some different requirements for your trailer than otherwise (depending partly what direction you're heading). Many travel trailer water systems are not well or at all set up for operation in sub-freezing weather.

If possible, I suggest having your first camping trip with the trailer in your own driveway. That gives you a chance to figure out how things work and to find the nearly inevitable forgotten important item or two.

KX5002
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome, I'm pretty new here myself, seems like a knowledgeable group.
Not all who wander are lost... But I usually am.
2005 F-250 4x4 CC 5.4 gas

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You'll find the perfect TT for you with patience.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad