cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where do RV's go to die?

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
We had our fifth totaled last winter due to a roof tear allowing water in to delaminate 2 or possibly 3 sides. I now see posts about similar due to Harvey/Irma. When I asked my dealer about what would happen to mine after the insurance company towed it away, he didn't really know. He speculated that some end up as slowly dissolving "cabins" for hunting/fishing use in the north woods.
Anyone know? Are they parted out to salvage usable stuff, just shredded and landfilled, or some other disposal?
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
24 REPLIES 24

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
If they believed in God they will go to RV heaven. Dah

RV heaven could be the burn pile out back.....:p
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dennis12 wrote:

You beat me to it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I once helped a friend scrap out a TT he got for free. He hauled the tin in for scrap along with some other stuff that he had saved up. The wood went to the landfill, cost 20 bucks to get rid of it. The frame we turned into a snowmobile trailer. He sold that for 250 bucks.

He sold me the AC, Furnace, Fridge, and stove for 40 bucks. I installed the AC a few years later in a TT that I had bought that had none, then sold it to friends. I still have the rest of the stuff stored in a building on my farm.

One mans junk is another mans treasure.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well. my last pass through KY I visited Visone RV. They had a good size graveyard.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis Hoppert

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Redwoodcamper wrote:
In my small town community they are a problem when they die. Scrap yards won't take them because of all the non scrap on the inside. And tearing one apart isn't that easy unless you have a backhoe. I do own heavy equipment and I've been paid to tear the body's off and haul to the landfill. The frame the scrap yard takes.

Another reason I'm glad I don't live in Calif.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
In my small town community they are a problem when they die. Scrap yards won't take them because of all the non scrap on the inside. And tearing one apart isn't that easy unless you have a backhoe. I do own heavy equipment and I've been paid to tear the body's off and haul to the landfill. The frame the scrap yard takes.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
When I was in Alberta theres a place near Edmonton that scraps old RVs and keeps many parts for sale,,bought some windows there pretty cheap..dont remember the name,just know its east of the city..

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I watched a CG owner go nuts trying to get 4 abandoned MH's removed from his CG when he sold it.

Not one single local junk yard would take them. They stated all the new EPA hazmat, etc laws made it too costly to take RV's in because of the permanent propane tanks on board and all what they would have to do 'before' bringing them into the junk yard to comply. So normal junk yards don't take them.

I guess that's why all you see is specialized junk yards scattered across the US for the dead and dieing RV's.

He had to leave them there and got fined for each one upon closing.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Veebyes wrote:
d3500ram wrote:
Five Star RV in Henderson (just north of Denver) has a pretty decent size salvage yard dedicated to RV parts.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. I am in need of a replacement window & it just so happens that we are going to be passing by real close to that place next week. Never knew it was there. Was about to order a new window. $$$$$. Not too proud to install used if it is the right size. No problem to deviate course to pay them a visit.

Jay is the owner of the place. He and all the folks there are great to deal with. Their new RV sales are primarily truck campers and I do not know it that will make a difference on what their used stock is. It might be worth a call before hand to make sure they might have what you are looking for... most likely they will have you peruse the shelves, not sure if they have an inventory list at hand.

Good luck on the pats match... hopefully they have what you need.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
d3500ram wrote:
Five Star RV in Henderson (just north of Denver) has a pretty decent size salvage yard dedicated to RV parts.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. I am in need of a replacement window & it just so happens that we are going to be passing by real close to that place next week. Never knew it was there. Was about to order a new window. $$$$$. Not too proud to install used if it is the right size. No problem to deviate course to pay them a visit.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Visonerv.com
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
path1 wrote:
More and more are dying in my neighborhood

Ha, I was going to say that I've encountered some of them at some of the RV parks in which I have stayed from time to time...!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
When I'm done with one, it's ready for the scrapper. I keep them until they fall apart, literally. Average ownership for me is 10 years, I don't change RV's like I change socks.

I would say most totalled or older units are scrapped. A commercial shredder can separate everything, from plastic to cloth to aluminum to steel, all in one continuous process with each material put in a pile for later recycling. They eat engines and transmissions and rear ends whole and spit out little chunks ready to be remelted.

Way back when, I used to haul Chevy pickups from Pontiac, Michigan to Toledo to be shredded. Whole pickup trucks, tires and all that were assembly line rejects. I'd back a dump trailer into the dock with the tailgate open and they'd shove a line of trucks in with a hi-lo. I'd shut the door and take them to Toledo to get shredded, 10 at a time, every couple days. Went in whole, came out in small pieces.

I would imagine an old / wrecked RV would shred easier.
2015 Backpack SS1500

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Austin, I've seen trailers be parked in a residential area or a public parking lot, stripped of all useful stuff (A/C, tongue jack), put on blocks with the wheels removed, and eventually the city comes around and gets rid of it, on the taxpayer dime.