cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hwy 62 in Utah

Hamnet
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Bryce,Ut. from Torrey,Ut. Is hwy 62 South off of hwy 24 a good road to travel with 40' 5th wheel. Map shows road in black and not red. Kind of leary.
32 REPLIES 32

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
That's right: Cheyenne Mountain and Rifle Gap state parks. It is hard to get reservations at Cheyenne Mountain. We sometimes have to take a Tuesday-Thursday or even a two day mid week to get in. But it's worth it.

We stayed at Rifle Gap State Park in August on our way home from Banff, Canada--in site # 12 for the second time.

You can add Mueller State Park on the "other side" of Pike's Peak from Colorado Springs to the state park list.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Great photo album padredw! Thank you too for some information on RV sites in Colorado. We've been to a lot of the places you've been in Canada, etc, but not two of the Colorado CGs - Cheyenne Mountain and Rifle Gap (I think that's it).
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thank you, ReneeG. Here is the web page with the Utah photos. Just click on the thumbnail in the Index and that will open the larger photo. from there you can go forward or back to other photos.

Utah Road Photos

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Great pic padredw.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
When we drove this route several years ago, we never even thought about it being anything but one of the most enjoyable and scenic roads. In fact I posted at that time some web pages entitled, "Utah Road." I will just share one of those photos from that trip:

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Here you go. We took this photo back in 2008.

Yep, same sign as in the Google streetview link I provided. Haven't been in a couple of years, but I doubt they've steepened the road since last I was there. :W

Not really about Steep, is it, just a Beautiful Drive.

ps thanks Ken son got a site right at the Bells, or so he said, All the Girls (Granddaughters) loved it.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:

Yep, same sign as in the Google streetview link I provided. Haven't been in a couple of years, but I doubt they've steepened the road since last I was there. :W
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
A good majority of the mountain roads in Idaho are two lane, with little to no shoulder, and curving. We drive them all the time, but with extreme caution.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
This is kinda like the Red Mountain Pass discussion - both of which have been on here many times. Basically, it boils down to evaluation the facts and your comfort level with them.

Driving on a two lane road with little to no shoulder and with curves, grades and little or no guardrail is, in my mind not safe.

And remembering you have no control over the idiot driver coming against you or the person passing you and cutting back in....those leave you without choices.

I just spent a week in Ouray and up to Red Mountain Pass several times for photographing and just the Fall beauty. So reminded of these kind of conditions / situations.

So, evaluate for your personal decision.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
You have to go to Pennsylvania to find an 18% grade on a state highway, and it is only 2 miles...
Rt 487 between Red Rock & Ricketts Glen State Park:

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Another photo that better shows the actual road.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
14% grade. I've got a photo. Just have to find the new photo share utility here to upload.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
There are no 18 percent grades (or sign stating such) and the hogback is whole 1/2 mile long. Some people make such a big deal about about highway 12 i just don't understand it.

You are not alone - I love'd the drive the first time I took it - and couldn't wait to get back to do it again in my DP and Toad - DW loved it Too!

Roads like RT 12 are Why we RV.

Steep grade or Not - Beautiful Drive.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach