cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to coat a rv. roof, without getting on roof/

getitdone
Explorer
Explorer
husband bought used rv, for son, , 1991 coleman fourwinds, , question, after I use dicor self leveling sealer, on a few areas, and around antenna cable, and eternabond, on a couple of areas, to 1st seal, any possible leaks, I want to use henry solarflex, and extension pole, roller to coat, entire roof, at least 2 coatings., question is this,husband will hold , extension ladder while I work, roller, however, , I know I need to use paint brush to get around all , vents and air cond. unit, ect., I only weigh about 137lbs. or so, but I was hoping to not get on the roof, , , its probably ok., but prefer not to, if possible, , any ideas?, , I want to caot it good, and hopefully this henrys lasts for at least 3 years, or more, , can I get it done without getting on the roof?,, we will move ladder where ever roller couldn't get to because of , unit ect, in the way, must I get on roof?, we don't have a spray painter, anyway, id have to roll and paint it on.
4 REPLIES 4

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
We had a trailer which I did not feel comfortable walking on the roof due to the flimsy construction. I still got up there, but used a piece of plywood to distribute my weight. I also used a multi-ladder to get up there. Besides being tall enough, the legs flare out so it is much more stable than a standard A-frame ladder.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
rent two sets of scaffling pull unit forward as needed to work on the roof ,been there ,also great for putting ac unit on roof.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Get your son to help, he might even learn something.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.
If you're not getting on the roof because of a fear of heights, that's one thing.
If you're not getting on the roof because you don't think it will hold you, that's different.
The roof will safely support you.

How will you clean the area and apply the Dicor? If you can do that, you can apply the coating from the ladder.
Personally, I would (and do) get on the roof to apply the coating.
I do use scaffold to work on the edges but, get on top to do the rest.
Can you borrow or rent scaffold? It's a lot safer than a ladder.

Can you have your son help? He should learn the maintenance procedures if he's going to use the RV. Or, will you do all the maintenance?