cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Southeren New Mexico B. L. M. Camping

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to do some boon docking this fall and winter. Anyone have any experience doing this. Thanks very much.

js
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James
10 REPLIES 10

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much Frizzen and Len Satic. That is very helpful and what we needed.
Happy Camping

James

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of BLM and state land around Deming. You might want to pick up the New Mexico Gazetteer from DeLorme. Check with the local BLM office to see if there are any areas where camping is not allowed. I don't know who you would contact for the state lands but you can probably find out on the state govs website.

Same story on west to the Arizona line around Lordsburg. I think there might be a couple of places that overlook the Gila River.

If you get west of Silver City there are some roads that follow the Gila River back east that should have some sites.

There are some interesting rock art sites around Frying Pan Spring and Fr. Cummings.

The place to go in Hatch is Sparky's. It has a bunch of big caricature statues outside so its easy to find.
I need some wild

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
If you are into spicy food, be sure to check out Hatch, NM, Chile capital of the world! Good restaurants and places to buy chiles to take home. (We stop at Hatch Chile Sales, across from the Pepper Pot restaurant a couple times a year.)

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
Wow thanks for the quick response and links.
We were North of Deming a few years ago looking and kind of liked the area North of Hiway 26. I have not took the time to check it out but it looked nice.

The Bill Evans Lake really needs some looking time.

Thanks very much.
Happy Camping

James

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
ndrorder wrote:
Southern NM is a big place. Is there a general region you're interest in?

Are you looking around Carlsbad, Las Cruces or Deming, speaking in terms of general regions?
I need some wild

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Southern NM is a big place. Is there a general region you're interest in?

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
There's a fair amount of BLM land down that direction. Not that way all over the state, though. Where I live, for example, it's all either private or tribal.

http://blm-egis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=dea6e3c9f3734e55be5a047f834b9c9d

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Southwest has plenty of BLM & National Forest Lands. We boondock in the summer in NM so our sites would be too cold. One you can check that maybe OK is Bill Evans Lake just West of Silver City. Check out this site or more, https://freecampsites.net/#!(32.42443,+-107.02881)

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Gila NF is somewhat similar see...https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/gila/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=1958&actid=34. Your search didn't find this info?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Lincoln NF says on their website - "Throughout the Lincoln National Forest you are allowed to do what is called 'dispersed camping."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad