cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Some Advice Re. RV Refridgerator

RayZen
Explorer
Explorer
I just need a recommendation—but not an unbased opinion--about a problem that I’m experiencing.
A little background: We own an old 1986 RV that has a Dometic fridge in it. The fridge has always worked great, but a couple of weeks ago, it gave up the ghost and I started to smell ammonia, which, of course, means that the cooling unit leaks.
After researching it online, I realized that it’s not too difficult to replace the cooling unit, if I were to get one. So I pulled the fridge from the RV, removed the cooling unit, and am now thinking about whether or not to order a rebuilt one online.
New fridges are about $1,500, which is a big chunk of change, compared to the $450 that I would have to spend on a rebuilt cooling unit which comes with a two-year warranty.
I have been told by two RV supply stores that it’s not a good idea to spend money on an old fridge, because it will just become a money sinkhole, kinda like the proverbial idea of ‘putting new wine into old skins.’ However, bear in mind that both of these comments came from those who would love to sell me a $1,500 new fridge; not exactly unbiased sources of recommendations.
So my question: Based on your experience (not your opinion), should I go ahead and order the cooling unit, thereby saving myself about $1,000 or just bite a bullet and order a brand-new fridge? Are those dealers right in saying that it’s not a good policy to repair the old one? Obviously, old fridges can become begin to become troublesome, but I would like to know—once again, from experience, not opinion—whether or not putting a rebuilt cooling unit has worked for those who have tried it.

Thank you for your time in reading this lengthy post.
14 REPLIES 14

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did the cooling unit and was VERY happy with it. Only supplier that said to do the cooling unit only did not sell fridges, go figure!
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Made the mistake of replacing a cooling unit only to go residential a couple years later $$$. Save some steps and money...residential the best mod ever and we boondock.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Our fridge cooling unit in 2004 Tioga started leaking. I had a mobile RV repair replace Dometic with same size Norcold unit for around $1000, parts and labor.
It's a two man job, remove side doorframe, remove old fridge, install new fridge. New fridge didn't work, next fridge didn't work either. Repair guys finally had to invert fridge, etc., to get coolant circulated in cooling unit, then it worked. Not really a DIY job unless you have experience and able help.

Replacement with a small 110vac only fridge in your older rig may be OK/cheap but may make selling it later more difficult.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
I have replaced two cooling units in two different TT. They worked great. Still working 6 yrs later when I sold the last TT. Go with the Amish unit

Hopefully (but with personal reservations) the 'Amish' unit is better quality than what the 'Amish craftsmen' turn out when they build RV's.:E

For me, Amish anything equates to second rate junk and poor assembly.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
What is the model of the fridge? Some have parts that are no longer available, requiring very expensive retrofits if they fail. Others are great candidates for rebuilding.
-- Chris Bryant

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have replaced two cooling units in two different TT. They worked great. Still working 6 yrs later when I sold the last TT. Go with the Amish unit
samsontdog:o:W

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF the rest of fridge is in good shape then replace cooling unit and go camping
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I never have (replaced a cooling unit on an ammonia fridge but I would not hesitate to do it if mine sprung a leak. However, I would also consider a Danfoss or Waeco compressor fridge because they have very low power draw and are proven units plus, they are designed to take the vibration and shock of an RV.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that you can pretty well evaluate by eye the rest of the fridge and determine if it's about to give up the ghost or not. If the interior plastics are not brittle and the insulation in good shape and the door works well and so forth, I would go for the cooling unit myself in your shoes. It takes a lot of nickels and dimes replacing other bits to make up the cost of a new fridge...and there's no guarantee that the new one is going to last a lot better.

Note: I haven't had to make this decision myself, so this is not based on actual personal experience.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would jump to a residential fridge.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Check into the Amish units. They are supposed to be thicker metal etc.

I don't know the name of the company but can probably google it.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the cooling unit. I suspect at its age there is very little else to go wrong. Get an Amish cooling unit. They appear to be built to much better standards and far cheaper than one from Dometic.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Without the cooling unit the fridge is just a large cooler.
I replaced one in a 1984 Shasta and sold the Shasta in about 2005 the fridge was still working.

Replace the cooling unit.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I have replaced three cooling units on older trailers I had.
Each time I was faced with the same price ratio that you are; new cooling unit was far less than half the cost of the whole fridge.
It worked out great for us every time. I had no other surprise repairs on those refers and they all worked fine until we sold the rigs. FWIW, there isn't much in the way of other thigs to fail on the older ones. Not much electronics, etc.
Even if a sparker or something else fails, they're cheap and easy.
But that never happened to us.

Good luck,
Scott