cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brakes on Hybrid

Nisel
Explorer
Explorer
I am a newbie with a tow trailer. I had a motor home before. I am getting my car wired to activate the brakes on the trailer. I have an S-17 Stampede by Palomino Hybrid. My question is how can I make sure that the brakes are hooked up under the trailer. It is a 2006 and the people I bought it from never said anything about needing brakes to the car! They had a truck. I just want to look and then try it after the car is wired. It looks like there are some cables not hooked up under the trailer and I do not know what they are. Do these brakes have a large cable running under the trailer?? Sorry...I am just very new at this and I want to make sure all is working properly. Thank you..
6 REPLIES 6

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Nisel wrote:
I am a newbie with a tow trailer. I had a motor home before. I am getting my car wired to activate the brakes on the trailer. I have an S-17 Stampede by Palomino Hybrid. My question is how can I make sure that the brakes are hooked up under the trailer. It is a 2006 and the people I bought it from never said anything about needing brakes to the car! They had a truck. I just want to look and then try it after the car is wired. It looks like there are some cables not hooked up under the trailer and I do not know what they are. Do these brakes have a large cable running under the trailer?? Sorry...I am just very new at this and I want to make sure all is working properly. Thank you..

it would help if you posted what "car" you are talking about and its specs.

Your car needs to have the factory tow package with a 7 pin connector AND pre-wiring for a brake controller.

A "car" may not be equipped for towing a full height trailer with electric brakes.

But not knowing what car you have and how it's equipped, makes helping you difficult.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you want to test the electric brakes? You could pull the breakaway pin and measure for 3 amps at each wheel. Drive test, you can manually apply just the trailer brakes with the lever on the brake controller in the tow vehicle.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer brakes are 'electric drum' brakes.
12V DC power to activate them via brake controller inside tow vehicle

BLUE wire is DC to brake magnets
And you will have a Ground wire to each brake magnet.

Doesn't matter which wire is connected to which wire on brake magnet as long as it has DC power and GROUND

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I test the trailer brakes at the beginning of each driving day. Yes, I trust my Chevy's system but I want to be sure. Two panic stops in the last two years...left turners.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
What does the electrical connector, trailer to car, look like?
Is it a flat 4 pin or round 7 pin?

Billbeat
Explorer
Explorer
When you hook your trailer to your vehicle and go for a drive just use the brake controller . ( which should be installed when you get proper wiring ) You'll know right away if they're working .
2008 Coyote by KZ Hybrid
1999 Ford F150 Triton