cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic Fox offroad?

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
We currently have a RAM 3500 4x4 with a Livin lite truck camper, and we tow a Wrangler to go exploring around the campsite.

Both the RAM and the Wrangler are getting up there in miles (and repair costs and low reliability) so we need to replace them.

A one-ton RAM 4x4 is not cheap as is a newer Wrangler. Plus, a travel trailer like the Arctic Fox 22 ft we looked has much more interior space and much better cold weather insulation with the 4 season package. Buying this travel trailer (and selling our truck + Wrangler + truck camper) would mean buying only one vehicle that can tow the trailer plus can be used for exploring.

So... to help in the decision process, it would be great if we can get some feedback on our questions:

1. We don't like campgrounds and usually camp on public lands away from people. The truck camper and the RAM are great on dirt roads. How is the Arctic Fox travel trailer? I read it has an offroad chassis.

2. For those of you who have this trailer, what type of 4x4 tow vehicle do you recommend. A 4-door Wrangler doesn't seem to have the towing capacity for the 22 ft trailer. Perhaps a half ton truck?

3. How is the overall build quality of Arctic Fox? Their trailers are pricier than Jayco and others.

Thanks!

Jorn
29 REPLIES 29

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
We are happy with our Arctic Fox. First thing we did was throw away the mattress and buy a Queen size expensive one.....

Or why we deleted the mattress on the factory order.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We are happy with our Arctic Fox. First thing we did was throw away the mattress and buy a Queen size expensive one. We've been in 4 degree weather with no problems. Towed it all over Co back roads. You need Michelin LT tires and airlift bags and then it won't beat it's self to death.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
A/F did try selling a small trailer a while back. It was like a large ruggedized tear-drop. Pretty neat trailer! I think the recession is ultimately what killed that one. If they were selling it today, it would be very popular with the crossover SUV owners IMO.

Ya it was Ron's answer to the tear-drop trailer.

My foggy brain is saying they dropped it after Ron stepped back from managing the companies (he had a stroke)

Right about then they dropped the Nash 5ers, the small (19ft, 21ft, 23ft, 24ft) Arctic Fox 5ers, the....
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Bryan, if you take that big rig down unmaintained trails, my hat is off to you!! My narrow little trailer is smaller than one of your slideouts, and there are many times when I make DW get out and walk in front of the truck to make sure we can tow the trailer into a tight place (and out again). Sand, mud, and snow are also issues -- not deal-killers, but things to be overcome with care.

I have tried to modify the trailer for off-pavement use (axle flip, heavy components, etc.), but I sure wish Arctic Fox made a little rugged trailer -- I would jump at the chance to own something like that.

Yup, walking the route is a must. So is carrying a chainsaw, but so far I've only had to use the hand saw. As I mentioned before, I have needed to winch myself out of a bad spot, and I carry extra blocks so I could side-pull the trailer if needed. Also, having helpers of the roof pushing against trees can gain a few more inches of clearance.

A/F did try selling a small trailer a while back. It was like a large ruggedized tear-drop. Pretty neat trailer! I think the recession is ultimately what killed that one. If they were selling it today, it would be very popular with the crossover SUV owners IMO.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Rather_B_Fishin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I guess I need to educate myself on what is a quality brand as I have no idea when it comes to trailers. Truck campers I know...
2017 F350, CCLB, XLT, 6.2L, 4.30's
2005 Four Wheel Camper - Grandby
2020 GD Reflection 337RLS 5'er (for sale)
Going back to a truck camper...

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bryan, if you take that big rig down unmaintained trails, my hat is off to you!! My narrow little trailer is smaller than one of your slideouts, and there are many times when I make DW get out and walk in front of the truck to make sure we can tow the trailer into a tight place (and out again). Sand, mud, and snow are also issues -- not deal-killers, but things to be overcome with care.

I have tried to modify the trailer for off-pavement use (axle flip, heavy components, etc.), but I sure wish Arctic Fox made a little rugged trailer -- I would jump at the chance to own something like that.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The chassis/suspensions/axles are the same. Body frame work is constructed the same too (full fillet welds with wood backer inside the tubes for cabinet mounting).

A/F feels a little more premium. Also they use less Lippert stuff (but still use some components). One big downside of ORV is the use of Lipper-Schwintek slide systems. Mine seem to be working now, but it took 2 factory visits and dealer rebuilt to get them working reliably. I have low confidence in them being trouble free long term.
2015 Ford Focus ST

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A rep. from Nash told me at an RV show that Nash builds the identical frames and sends them to ORV.

Area13 wrote:
jornvango wrote:
How does Outdoors RV compare against Arctic Fox regarding build quality (light offroad usage on logging roads, forest roads ...) and price?

I'm no expert, but from I was told and saw side by side where I bought mine, both are built somewhat similar with custom heavy duty frames. They are different though, 2 totally different companies, same owner(Ron Nash), built in the same town in Oregon, but friendly competition I was told by a rep at ORV. ORV does their own thing, same philosophy and quality I was told.
As far as price, they are similar to AF when you compare apples/apples. ORV has a ton of options and lines to choose from, from almost spartan to high end all the bells and whistles, mines in between.
I was open to either, impressed by both, just came down to the interior for the wife and I. We really liked the Mountain series with a "lodge/cabin feel" and huge dinette with big comfortable high backs.
I think either brand would work excellent for offroad use.

ORV's website has a bunch of informative videos and info.
http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/video-built-tough/

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
jornvango wrote:
How does Outdoors RV compare against Arctic Fox regarding build quality (light offroad usage on logging roads, forest roads ...) and price?

I'm no expert, but from I was told and saw side by side where I bought mine, both are built somewhat similar with custom heavy duty frames. They are different though, 2 totally different companies, same owner(Ron Nash), built in the same town in Oregon, but friendly competition I was told by a rep at ORV. ORV does their own thing, same philosophy and quality I was told.
As far as price, they are similar to AF when you compare apples/apples. ORV has a ton of options and lines to choose from, from almost spartan to high end all the bells and whistles, mines in between.
I was open to either, impressed by both, just came down to the interior for the wife and I. We really liked the Mountain series with a "lodge/cabin feel" and huge dinette with big comfortable high backs.
I think either brand would work excellent for offroad use.

ORV's website has a bunch of informative videos and info.
http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/video-built-tough/
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Rather B Fishin wrote:
I'm looking at something similar as the OP. Is there a consideration with regards to wall framing for off pavement use? Aluminum vs wood? I have been told completely different things on which one is better.

As far as framing goes, the quality of the construction matters more than the material IMO. Bad welds can break. Cheap fasteners can pull loose.

For the exterior, fiberglass sides are a must for me. Dragging aluminum siding through the woods completely trashes it. The fiberglass just gains extra pin-striping.

x2. I've got a custom one off Pine/Fir pin striping pattern on mine. I've often thought about buying a beater TT with a 7' width just to go to some of the places we see when out traveling around. No way can I get my 8'x12'6" 5er down those roads.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Rather B Fishin wrote:
I'm looking at something similar as the OP. Is there a consideration with regards to wall framing for off pavement use? Aluminum vs wood? I have been told completely different things on which one is better.

As far as framing goes, the quality of the construction matters more than the material IMO. Bad welds can break. Cheap fasteners can pull loose.

For the exterior, fiberglass sides are a must for me. Dragging aluminum siding through the woods completely trashes it. The fiberglass just gains extra pin-striping.
2015 Ford Focus ST

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
carringb, how and where do you go really off road, not just off pavement?? In all of the Calif national forests, we have to stay on existing dirt roads covered by the motor vehicle use maps. Some are very rough, but they are "roads."

Thanks in advance for your comments!!

Most of our public lands are also restricted to "marked" roads and trails, although there's plenty of true off-trail use areas as well. But the big difference here is most of our marked trails are not in any way maintained, and some can go years between seeing a vehicle, so they tend to be overgrown, with rock/logs/washouts common. The marked trails in CA see so much traffic, they aren't even in the same category it seems like. Also most of our marked forest roads permit "dispersed camping" off but near the roads, and that's where things get real tricky.
2015 Ford Focus ST

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I could turn back the clock and do it all over again knowing what I know today, I would've gone straight for an Outdoors RV TT. Lot's of good reasons why, starting with their in-house built, heavy duty frame. Just think, no Amish craftsmanship to worry about either...

Go to an RV show and look at any of Northwood's TTs and compare their frame to a Lippert one on other brands. Lance uses the BAL/Norco ultraframe but don't know if they stand up to off-road use.

Northwood claims their frames are off-road certified by an outside independent company but to what standard and by who?

If your Lippert frame fails, even if still under warranty, it'll be your fault not theirs. Their standard excuse is that you overloaded it. We had a bad frame on a previous brand new TT and Lippert said "it's within spec." Shortly after owning it, we had it inspected by a gov't certified inspection facility who condemned it which resulted in the TT being taken back by the dealer. You'll never get that kind of cr*p with an Arctic Fox.