cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Travel Trailer

dyast112
Explorer
Explorer
Now retired and planning on purchasing a TT around 25-29 Feet but doing research reveals that there are too many options, and recommendations as to what are the best TT available. Planning on spending two months on the road and two months home.
21 REPLIES 21

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
sgfrye, I had a similar CW experience.

I hit a road hazard that bent the axles and broke a spring.

Between CW in Indy, Progressive insurance and myself we agreed to an entirely new undercarriage. The TT was back in my yard in 5 weeks, 2 1/2 of which was waiting for parts.

The entire project was handled in a very courteous and expedient manner. It is nice when a plan comes together.

To me, Camping World is like Cabela's or Bass Pro; they may not be the cheapest but they have what I am looking for.

Agree, the service guys that did our walk thru and tutorial on hooking up the WDH and sway control were great too. You can get good and bad customer service where ever you go.

We met a young couple recently on a weekend trip that were new to Rving and bought a new TT from a mom and pop rv dealer about the same time we bought ours. they had a horrible experience post sale because of numerous problems on a brand new TT, and very little response from the dealer

Very glad things worked out for your situation also.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye, I had a similar CW experience.

I hit a road hazard that bent the axles and broke a spring.

Between CW in Indy, Progressive insurance and myself we agreed to an entirely new undercarriage. The TT was back in my yard in 5 weeks, 2 1/2 of which was waiting for parts.

The entire project was handled in a very courteous and expedient manner. It is nice when a plan comes together.

To me, Camping World is like Cabela's or Bass Pro; they may not be the cheapest but they have what I am looking for.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I bought our first TT about 4 months ago. We had a good experience with Camping World of all places. I really didn't want to go that route but they were the closest RV dealership of any kind and still are an hours drive from us. I originally started looking at used campers this past winter for sale by individuals. I wanted about a 2 year old camper so i wouldn't have to eat the depreciation of a new one. Well after about 3 months of looking about all the gently used campers were priced almost as much as a new one. I assume alot of people with these are so upside down on their loans they price them as such. I didn't have enough experience on what to look out for in older models so didn't want to buy someone elses problems either. So off we go to CW. We got lucky and ended up with a good salesman. Not pushy at all. The first question he asked us was for information on our towing vehicle, 2nd question was what were we looking to spend, 3rd question was what we wanted in floor plan. Our truck and budget eliminated all 5th wheels, we wanted no bunkbeds, its my wife and i plus 4 small dogs. About 10 minutes after beginning the process he had narrowed us down to 3 TT out of about 100. He then spent an hour walking thru each of the 3, going bumper to bumper explaining details, then recommended that my wife and i walk back thru each one by ourselves and discuss what we liked & didn't like about each one. So we did and both mutually like one of the 3 the best. 4 months later we are still happy with it and are totally happy with our choice. with the help of this forum and youtube, and pinterest i have learned how to maintain it myself with roof inspections, battery maintenance etc.. I had a good experience with CW sales dept but hope and pray i don't have to deal with their service dept. Long story short, make sure you match up your Towing vehicle capacity to your TT first and foremost, then work on floor plan choice and budget. Enjoy

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"When we faced the TT dilemma we decided to take our best guess at what we wanted then we rented a similar unit for 10 days in the Ozarks."

Rbpru gives wise advice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats to you on the decision to start RVing!

One of the things to maybe keep in mind since you will be gone for long periods is the living space in the event you encounter inclement weather for a few days in a row. When shopping for an RV we factor in would we be comfortable in the living area in the event of an all day rain event, etc.

Kitchen counter space is another factor for us. We want to make sure we have ample space to cook, make a sandwich, or whatever.

Everyone has different needs and I'm sure you will find the perfect trailer!

Good Luck!

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
When we were looking we made a list of everything "SHE" we wanted, along with size and weight, when we put all those into the mix it boiled down to 3, then I started looking at dealers close to home first, the nearest dealer had one of them, we went to look at it and pulled it home that day, happy so far but in the future I think I will remove the dinnet and put a couple recliners there for more comfy sitting when we have to be inside, if the kids go with us they will have to bring there tent. ๐Ÿ˜‰
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
When we faced the TT dilemma we decided to take our best guess at what we wanted then we rented a similar unit for 10 days in the Ozarks.

We learned our 200 hp. F-150 did not have the power or transmission for towing, the floor plan was not as convenient as we expected and you will be driving at 60 to 65 mph while being passed by everything.

The biggest advantage was; after that trip was we had a far better appreciation for RVing. It goes a long way towards reducing buyer remorse when you have experienced the situation you are buying into.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
.....snip....

The only way to figure out what will work for you is to actually visit SEVERAL RV dealership and RV shows and step inside them (all). Yes, you will be overwhelmed, but given a little time, you'll begin to realize which floor plan you are drawn to, and which floor plan just sucks in your opinion! It will happen.

.....much more snippage ! ๐Ÿ˜‰

^^^ This. I looked at so many, I actually kept a tablet in the truck with me with a list of what trailers I had already looked at and had either ruled out, or considered to be on my short list.

I also would sit in them for a few minutes, and imagine being in there for several rainy or cold days. Doesn't take long to figure out what appeals to you.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Tip:

If you are wanting to search the BEST "brands" of RV's, just check the signature blocks or the "profiles" of the many people who post on these RV.net forums. Every person has their specific model because they (all) thought THEIRS was the very best! Me included (Keystone Outback, 298RE Travel Trailer)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
"Best" travel trailer is truly in "the eye of the beholder." What one person considers "Best" someone else would completely frown at.

About brands, they are all pretty much equal, made with the same parts, appliances, frames, everything. So, pick a brand you favor and search them out first.

About floor plans. This is like asking what kind of house should I buy? A Ranch style may work for one person and a Cape Cod for someone else. They two styles are world apart. So with campers. The only way to figure out what will work for you is to actually visit SEVERAL RV dealership and RV shows and step inside them (all). Yes, you will be overwhelmed, but given a little time, you'll begin to realize which floor plan you are drawn to, and which floor plan just sucks in your opinion! It will happen.

When looking at trailers, look at Fifth Wheels and Hybrids too. Not so much because I'm leading you to buy one, but for comparison sake. You will notice that 5er floor plans often identical to TT's, except on split levels. Looking at the same floor plan from 2 perspectives ... well ... it just clinches your final decisions... really!

Consider slide vs no slide. But no-slide trailers are getting harder and harder to find. When you begin to narrow down your search to floor plan that light up your day, then make sure you look at the unit with all the slides pulled in, and make sure you can still function. Many times on the road, you will not be able to pull the slides out, or won't want to. Can you still get to the beds? (all of them), the refrigerator, the stove, the bathroom ... without climbing over furniture or having to open slides. VERY IMPORTANT to do this when considering a camper with slides!

Now hear this! Listen carefully!

If you are retired, get a camper that will accommodate YOU and your significant "other" and just forget about the rest your family. Bottom line, YOU are the ones using the camper. Get something that works for YOU and NOT the kids, grandkids, or someone's friend of a friend.

Our camper is designed for 2 people. Although our son and grandson occasionally go with us, he knows, the only bed is a couch, and that's where he sleeps. When we are fortunate to be with my daughter and her 4 kids, the kids sleep on the couches and the (very uncomfortable) pull out blow up hide-a-bed. It's great for 3 small kids, but horrid for adults! The kids just know, that's where they sleep. WE DO NOT MAKE ACCOMIDATIONS for the kids or grand kids. The trailer is what it is. They know it, and believe me ... they accept it! Or just stay home. And all the years we've been camping, the kids have never complained!

So... get the camper with you and your spouse (or best friend) only and don't make accommodations for anyone else. This GREATLY reduces the frustration in searching for a camper.

Next, don't get a bunkhouse style, unless you truly have someone sleeping on all the bunks all the time. If not, that is just wasted space that could be used for additional living room or bed-room space for YOU. You will find plenty of other places for storage. If you don't have kids, avoid bunkhouses. Look for the perfect camper that accommodates only the two of you!

Here again, the very best thing you can do is just start visiting RV dealerships and RV shows and walking through the various trailers. Take lots of pictures, grab lots of fliers on the various models, and of course ... keep a running list of the prices so you can compare later.

Edit:

One more thing: Lots of models come with stand alone furniture instead of built-in furniture. For example, stand alone kitchen table and 4 chairs vs a built in dinette booth. Before settling, consider sitting on this furniture and ask yourself, is this really comfortable. Dinettes can be very uncomfortable and the seats cannot move. If you are a little round in the belly, you may not have enough room to comfortably sit, and what about holding your head up on built in jack-knife sofa vs a real couch with high backs. Anyway, something you should consider too. And... stand alone furniture is removable, and you can easily swap it out for something different, better, or more enjoyable.

Good luck!

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Riverside website. They are located in Lagrange, IN. You can also visit the Riverside owners forum and ask questions. We toured the factory and were impressed. We bought the 195 and are enjoying it very much.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Riverside website. They are located in Lagrange, IN. You can also visit the Riverside owners forum and ask questions. We toured the factory and were impressed. We bought the 195 and are enjoying it very much.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
no rubber roof
bumpy

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
Go to RV shows...lots of them. Get a feel for what you like or dislike. Talk to others at RV shows and get their opinions.
Are you limited to only travel trailers or are smaller 5th wheels an option? If you include 5th wheels, there are quite a few more high-end or 4 season options available.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD