cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rooftop ac coolant recharge

Tonijim
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2010 Class C rooftop ac unit is operating just marginally. I've been told that they are "sealed units" and to recharge their freon coolant is tough. Who has had this work done and what has been the experience?

Thanks, Jim
16 REPLIES 16

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the laws regarding the use of refrigerants were federal EPA laws and thus would be the same across the USA.

Federal EPA laws are minimum. There's nothing that says the states can't add on additional restrictions. California is known for it's tougher air pollution laws. Even cars have different emission requirements in that state than others.

I would agree, look for leaks and proper system operation before cracking the system to just add more. Washington state requires complete freon removal and leak check prior to recharge. more expensive that way, but keeps the freon out of the atmosphere and you shouldn't have to keep refilling it.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

ghiotom
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the laws regarding the use of refrigerants were federal EPA laws and thus would be the same across the USA.
2018 Sprinter/Thor Four Winds 24HL

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Yes they are a sealed unit.

When I was in Florida the RV mobile repair ''taped into'' the line and recharged it.

That said.

Made my way to Wisconsin a year or so later and needed rv mobile repair to just look at my ac regarding a 'different' problem, 'not' related to refrigerant.

They got up there, saw the altered tap line on the ac refrigerated line and got back down off the roof and said they couldn't work on it.

All the new laws in place about refrigerated units and freon etc. prevents them from working on an altered refrigerated line on an ac.

Might depend on the state you are in how strict these regulations are taken.

I know when one of my house ac units at home had a slow leak. They filled it once and when I called them back the next year they could/would not refill it a second time.

California law states you need to recover the freon in the system ,you can't just discharge it into the atmosphere. Sounds like your repairmen were too cheap to buy the necessary equipment to do the job, and hadn't attended the necessary schooling to become certified to handle same.

:?
In defense of my ac repair for the 'house', if that is what you are referring to. They were neither cheap nor incompetent. Nor was my RV mobile repair.

And not quite sure what you are talking about. I never stated they "discharged it into the atmosphere".

I misspoke and my comments were not clear. I was quoting California refrigeration requirements and as I do sometimes did not make myself clear. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I meant no harm.

And that is exactly what I learned! It's Ok to tap inline RV AC in Florida but god forbid don't even think about it in Illinois or Wisconsin.! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
If this unit is ducted (ducts in the ceiling of the RV) then there is a good possibility that the divider between the inlet and the outlet is leaking air and the unit is not working efficiently. You should consider having the unit inspected for bypassing or leaking air, dirty coils that restrict air flow (both inside and outside coils) and issues with the fan slipping on the shaft, etc.

The information on checking amperage draw and coil temps by j-d is good and should be looked at first.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis (T1N). Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Coleman Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Koni Red shocks (front & rear), Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror, MB grill conversion.
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I had an A/C roof unit recharged by a mobile tech. I don't member the cost but it was significantly less than a new unit. The recharge solved my cooling problem and lasted for many years. I sold the RV and the A/C was working just fine.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
That said,

IF the Low Side Line (larger tubing into Compressor) gets Cool pretty quickly and the High Side Line (smaller tube exiting Compressor) gets Hot pretty quickly, then the Sealed System (Compressor, Lines, Coils) is very likely to be OK.

Better still, look up the RLA (Running Load Amps) that's listed on the Coleman unit label, maybe on the Compressor itself. Then start it up and measure actual Amp Draw with a Clamp-On Ammeter along the lines of this:

If Actual falls within an Amp or Two from Spec, Compressor is VERY likely to be running OK AND Correctly Charged.

FYI - Meter I pictured is "Amazon's Choice" in these at about $26.00. Looking at its specs, I wouldn't pay that for the limited capability it has. Basically an AC Ammeter (can't read DC Amps) and a Basic DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) that can't read useful things like Capacitance (A/C troubleshooting) or Frequency (Generator troubleshooting). I'd stick with my cheap Horror Fright Clamp-On at half the price, OR spend more for one that does DC, Capacitance, Frequency. OR even more and add the "true RMS" measurement of AC Voltage, along with "Peak Inrush" that'll trap an A/C's max starting Amps. The "Hold Button" the cheap units have, is not capturing peak. It only locks the reading so you can reach into something, catch the numbers, then pull the meter back to see what it says.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

When I was in Florida the RV mobile repair ''taped into'' the line and recharged it.

That said.

Made my way to Wisconsin a year or so later and needed rv mobile repair to just look at my ac regarding a 'different' problem, 'not' related to refrigerant.

They got up there, saw the altered tap line on the ac refrigerated line and got back down off the roof and said they couldn't work on it.

All the new laws in place about refrigerated units and freon etc. prevents them from working on an altered refrigerated line on an ac.

I know when one of my house ac units at home had a slow leak. They filled it once and when I called them back the next year they could/would not refill it a second time.

California law states you need to recover the freon in the system ,you can't just discharge it into the atmosphere. Sounds like your repairmen were too cheap to buy the necessary equipment to do the job, and hadn't attended the necessary schooling to become certified to handle same.

In defense of my ac repair for the 'house', if that is what you are referring to. They were neither cheap nor incompetent. Nor was my RV mobile repair.

And not quite sure what you are talking about. I never stated they "discharged it into the atmosphere".

I misspoke and my comments were not clear. I was quoting California refrigeration requirements and as I do sometimes did not make myself clear. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I meant no harm.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

That said.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:

That said.

California law states you need to recover the freon in the system ,you can't just discharge it into the atmosphere. Sounds like your repairmen were too cheap to buy the necessary equipment to do the job, and hadn't attended the necessary schooling to become certified to handle same. Once the freon is recovered you can use the same machine to recycle and clean the refrigerant. Issue is the various refrigerants cannot be mixed or they need to go to a recycler and there's another fee. Different refrigerants for different applications. Last machine I purchased for our shop was up towards 10K.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

That said.

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a new unit for around $500 and install it yourself. The hardest part was getting on the roof. I left mine in the box and slid it up a 13 foot ladder.
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
By the time you get all the work done you may as well pop on a new unit and have a warranty.

Although do check the ducting and the interior plenum divider in addition to a good cleaning if needed.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
A replacement roof AC unit cost me $1000 installed by mobile RV repair service. Get repair estimates including all parts and labor and compare.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tonijim wrote:
Our 2010 Class C rooftop ac unit is operating just marginally. I've been told that they are "sealed units" and to recharge their freon coolant is tough. Who has had this work done and what has been the experience?

Thanks, Jim

An air conditioning unit doesn't consume freon in a sense like an engine consumes oil. If the freon is low it has a leak. Like a refrigerator at home, access ports may have to be installed/soldered into the lines to install gauges to determine the problem. If you can access the roof and remove the cover look for any spots/connections that may have an oily residue. Oil leakage occurs with freon leakage. Start calling around and see what mechanics charge to diagnose and repair. Also look for any defects in the coils where a limb or something bent the fins. Many times coils leak from the tubes . As JD said, inspect other items first.