cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ID Theft Companies Re Equifax

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't want to hijack the Equifax Hack thread. DH and I are strongly considering a full service credit monitor/repair such as LifeLock or Zander. Zander is recommended by Dave Ramsey and is less expensive and appears to be as comprehensive as LifeLock. Zander includes medical ID theft.

Is anyone currently using these services? What's your experience with them? Any other full monitor/repair services?

Equifax has just been the last straw.

cts
19 REPLIES 19

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
covetsthesun wrote:
I have been filing taxes as soon as I have all doc's needed. I used to listen to Dave Ramsey when I was driving a lot. Retired now, so DH has the vehicle and does most of the driving... so it's sports or other talk radio.

I always found DR to be upfront about his advertisers... and it appears they are vetted unlike other radio shows.

A neighbor has Zander and has been very happy with them. Another uses Identy Shield... another Identity Guard. All are happy. And they have frozen their accounts.

I plan to freeze all credit reporting services Monday morning. Not sure how to do that..but the websites probably give info.

By the way...there is one more agency out there... Kroll. We've been "Krolled" a few times for back ground checks on jobs, mortgages and apartment rentals.

Thanks for the advice. cts

the websites make it incredibly quick and easy. and as i found out just a few days ago there is a 4th credit agency...Innovis. took me all of 10-min to freeze our credit on all 4. be sure to freeze both your and your husband's credit. you can freeze your credit anytime day or night.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
I have been filing taxes as soon as I have all doc's needed. I used to listen to Dave Ramsey when I was driving a lot. Retired now, so DH has the vehicle and does most of the driving... so it's sports or other talk radio.

I always found DR to be upfront about his advertisers... and it appears they are vetted unlike other radio shows.

A neighbor has Zander and has been very happy with them. Another uses Identy Shield... another Identity Guard. All are happy. And they have frozen their accounts.

I plan to freeze all credit reporting services Monday morning. Not sure how to do that..but the websites probably give info.

By the way...there is one more agency out there... Kroll. We've been "Krolled" a few times for back ground checks on jobs, mortgages and apartment rentals.

Thanks for the advice. cts

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Would Dave be pedaling Zander if he wasn't getting advertising dollars from them? Just asking.
From what little I know of Dave Ramsey, he's in the business of making money. So it would seem unlikely that he would be doing it out of the goodness of his heart. I'm sure he gets remuneration. That doesn't mean it's a bad product, just that it may not be an unbiased opinion from Dave Ramsey.

Dave is very upfront that Zander and others he pitches are paying commercial advertisers. I'm a regular listener to the podcast and have heard him state that loud and clear many times. and as you say that doesn't make it (Zander) a bad product. personally, we have LifeLock but since we've now frozen our credit at the four credit reporting agencies (Experian, Transunion, Equifax and Innovis) we may not renew it next year.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Would Dave be pedaling Zander if he wasn't getting advertising dollars from them? Just asking.
From what little I know of Dave Ramsey, he's in the business of making money. So it would seem unlikely that he would be doing it out of the goodness of his heart. I'm sure he gets remuneration. That doesn't mean it's a bad product, just that it may not be an unbiased opinion from Dave Ramsey.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
covetsthesun wrote:
Didn't want to hijack the Equifax Hack thread. DH and I are strongly considering a full service credit monitor/repair such as LifeLock or Zander. Zander is recommended by Dave Ramsey and is less expensive and appears to be as comprehensive as LifeLock. Zander includes medical ID theft.

Is anyone currently using these services? What's your experience with them? Any other full monitor/repair services?

cts

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have AAA auto insurance you can get free service to see if anyone has tried to open an account
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
fcooper wrote:
T18skyguy wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
WHY not just put a FREEZE on your credit reports with ALL three credit reporting companies....depending which state you reside in costs vary from $0 to $10 each

The FREEZE STOPS anyone from using your credit, opening new credit etc.

Even YOU!
But if/when you need a credit check you lift the freeze temporarily then it automatically goes back on.

Monitoring lets you know AFTER the fact
Freeze prevents it BEFORE it happens

Simple,,,,,,easy,,,,,,VERY affective!

Old Biscuit right on. You can lift the freeze very quickly when need be. Another area of concern is taxes. File your taxes every year as early as possible when you have all your W-2's etc. Prevents criminals from filing for you. If you must use a credit monitoring app, ID guard is highly recommended in independent comparisons I've come across.

I agree completely, but there are four credit reporting companies. Equifax, Experian, Innovis and Trans Union. I did not know about Innovis until I read one of the links referenced above.
Fred

I was not aware of Innovis. I went to their site and put a freeze on mine, my wife's and daughters credit. Their site makes it very simple to do it quickly.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Freeze your accounts, monitoring is a waste of money. The second part of the issue is make sure you file your taxes early. Don't wait because that is going to be the bigger problem to deal with.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
WHY not just put a FREEZE on your credit reports with ALL three credit reporting companies....depending which state you reside in costs vary from $0 to $10 each

Even YOU!
But if/when you need a credit check you lift the freeze temporarily then it automatically goes back on.

Old Biscuit right on. You can lift the freeze very quickly when need be. Another area of concern is taxes. File your taxes every year as early as possible when you have all your W-2's etc. Prevents criminals from filing for you. If you must use a credit monitoring app, ID guard is highly recommended in independent comparisons I've come across.

I agree completely, but there are four credit reporting companies. Equifax, Experian, Innovis and Trans Union. I did not know about Innovis until I read one of the links referenced above.
Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Even YOU!

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
covetsthesun wrote:

cts

we've been LifeLock customers since LifeLock started and have been happy. But after the Equifax hack we have frozen our credit with all 3-agencies. we haven't had any new credit in, well, forever and don't expect to need any new credit in the future. and should that change the freezes are e-z enough to temporarily lift. with the credit frozen I see little-to-no need for either LifeLock or Zander so we may be canceling LifeLock at the next renewal.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
x2 freeze. Have used for years. Easy on/off when needed, which is not often in my case.

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Old-Biscuit. We put a credit freeze on our SS numbers years ago, and when we when we buy a new car or rv, we take the freeze off for 30 days. Very simple, very effective and very cheap.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II

Even YOU!

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31