cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highway 84 - Texas

Home_on_Wheels
Explorer
Explorer
What are your opinions? Leaving Amarillo say mid-October going towards Kerrville, TX. Thinking of going South on I27, pick up Hwy 84 in Lubbock, then going South picking up Hwy 83 towards Ballinger, and then I10 towards Kerrville.

We see on Google Earth that Hwy 84 is a divided highway, but is it in good shape?
6 REPLIES 6

Home_on_Wheels
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input. It always helps, as you know, when pulling these RVs to know the road.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I take TX 70 at Sweetwater and TX 153, about 10 miles out, to Winters which is on 83. It knocks off at least one hour as opposed to going all the way to Abilene via 84. 153 is a little slower but the I20/84 traffic from Sweetwater to Abilene is very heavy.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I just did the stretch of 84 from I-20 to Amarillo Sunday, you are good to go, great road.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
If you have time stop in Fredericksburg, TX.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Home_on_Wheels
Explorer
Explorer
Great...thank you for the response. We haven't been that way in years!!!

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
Highway 84 is in excellent shape and the scenery is fantastic especially around Post, TX. Post is where you come down off the caprock. If you pay attention, there is a small rest stop on the right at the very top of the caprock. It is worth the stop to take in the view. Also, Post Texas is where Post cereal was invented by the Post family. Another interesting note is that Mar-a-Lago, President Trump's home in Florida was built by the Post family. Decades ago, the Post family donated Mar-a- Lago to the U.S. government to be used like a second Camp David. The goverment did not want to pay for the upkeep on the place and put it up for sale. It was bought by Donald Trump. What a coincidence that he now uses it like a southern Camp David just as the Post family intended.I lived in Lubbock for 20 years before moving to the Dallas area. I go back to Lubbock every year to visit friends. Highway 84 is in very good shape with very little traffic because it is unpopulated. You will see huge wind farms up on the caprock as well.