cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

motorized awning tie downs

Scanmom
Explorer
Explorer
W e just bought our 1st RV, a 35 foot class A. A 2007 Winnebago Adventurer to be exact. Anyway, I've read about some peoples awnings coming off while they were driving down the highway!! I wouldn't have thought of this problem, but now I am worried. Are there clamps or something to help with this? and are they a headache to get off and on, seeing as the RV is so tall? And, are clamps, or something like that needed since our awning is motorized? Thanks for any advice, we are totally new to all this and are learning as we go!
10 REPLIES 10

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago I put a DIY awning lock on our awning. While camped a passerby asked about it. I explained the problem. They immediately had theirs so equipped and told some friends about it. Their friends bought the parts and the parts were in a bag in their motorhome when their awning unfurled in Utah.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
With manual awnings if you do not lock it down that can happen. not sure how hard it is to override the lock

With motorized awnings there is both a brake and the gearing of the motor. it has never happened.

Wrong. Take a look at this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-awning-is-out-omg-i-am-still-driving-down-the-road-330103.html; it HAS happened, even on motorized awnings. And again, locking the legs will not stop it from happening.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine it happening on an electric awning. However, if it gives you peace of mind you could install one of these -

https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-42551-Awning-Clamp-White/dp/B00ED9P1RQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1506022948&sr=8-3&keywords=rv+awning+lock

Just be sure to release it before you try to deploy the awning.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
With manual awnings if you do not lock it down that can happen. not sure how hard it is to override the lock

With motorized awnings there is both a brake and the gearing of the motor. it has never happened. HOWEVER. if you are worried there are many types of clamps you can apply high as you can reach on the awning arms provided there is a gap behind the thing. Or you could even drill through (Awning closed) and put in a pin.. One of the square-oish Sring pins sold for tow bar attachment should work

Or you can get those in all sorts of sizes at Tractor Supply and other Farm & Fleet type places. this is a bolt, with a spring attached to the head. the other end of the spring SNAPS over the other end of the bolt to lock, VERY secure. Just make sure you don't drill through where the gas shock is if you have that kind of awning.

I use safety ties on mine.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Old or new, manual or electric, it is and can be a problem. A good wind, at the right angle, while driving, can get inside the rolled awning material. It can then overcome the gear/ratcheting mechanism inside the roller and unroll a bit. At that point, the strength intensifies multiple fold, and can completely open and rip the awning off the side of the RV. Locking the arms against the RV does nothing to prevent it; the roller itself unrolls in the stowed position.

I have had it happen once in the past; driving at 60mph into a strong 2:00 headwind. The arms stayed in place at first until the awning unrolled about 1/4 of the way. Then it forced even the locked arms open and the awning ended up 2/3 unrolled. Luckily I got the rig stopped before it tore everything off the RV. Once stopped, we had to find cover from the wind behind a building, fully unroll then roll up the awning (not an easy task in strong winds). Everything still worked as normal, and I continued to use the awning for 12+ years, showing that nothing was "broken", the wind was just too strong (and perfectly angled).

I have not taken a single trip or owned another RV since without installing an awning lock. I prefer the one from Camco that wraps the entire awning roller to the RV rather than the pin type that just locks the roller in one position, but they both will do the job. $30 is cheap insurance to prevent what, while rare, could be a major and expensive situation.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't worry too much about it. A fairly rare event but getting a flat tire or a problem with the powertrain that requires a tow is a lot more common.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is an 06 Adventurer The problem is we have, one end that doesn't clip back as tight as the other so I can push it back then stick a piece of Velcro around the one that don't clip as tight. I have a bamboo poll that I use to remove it and also put it back. Best part we don't use the awing that much. The repair man said it would need a new metal cover to fix it. It's over $500.00

Y-Guy
It's usually more of an issue with older RVs. The cause seems to be the recoil spring getting old and needing to be tightened for more tension.

You can buy straps and even Awning Locks if you would feel better.

I use a couple straps not so much that I'm worried about the awnings as it forces me to double check that awning has been retracted and locked correctly before I hit the road.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It really isn't a problem. Once the motroized awning is rolled up, the gearing prevents it from unfurling.
The problem was with some slide-out awning that would billow. I dont think those are a problem anymore either.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a Winnie TT owner and have had zero issues with the awning.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad