Huge Earthquake Mexico City this is no joke

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
20 REPLIES 20

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
1500 structures in danger of colapsing from vibrations, simply by a trash truck driving down the street, many avenues and streets are blocked to traffic comutting is a mess in the areas affected.

The City is beginning to go back to normal, slowly.

navegator

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
There are 3,000 structures that have damage from the quake in Mexico City alone plus thousands more in the other States, yea the City "survived beautifully", a lot of people with out homes to go back to.

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
deleted quake intensity map

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I do not turn this into a third world disaster, there is a lot of damage and those buildings that you mention that were constructed after the 1985 quake are in did standing, the only problem is that a lot of them have damage cracked walls, unstable columns cracked floors some may have to be torn down, my brother in law, wife's brother built the big black building on Paseo de la Reforma the Bolsa de Valores de Mexico and today he has spent the day helping to asses the damage to some of the newer buildings, he is an architect he just got home and we spoke of the damage and the magnitude of the quake, yes the new laws helped a lot to avert the damage hundreds dead instead thousands but stating that it came out beautiful is totally wrong, the epicenter was a lot closer than the one in 85, plus the waves are magnified by the mud in what was the lake of Texcoco and those waves tend to bounce around, if I felt it in Ciudad Satelite that is out side of the lakes shore, we are on top of "tepetate" that is harder than concrete, there have been 26 after shocks we have not felt a one.

This quake was caused by he subduction plate that runs from the Pacific and flattens out and then starts to descend more or less where the Popocatepetl is located and then it plummets down to the mantle, there are going to be more of this quakes, Mexico needs to adopt the same standards as Chile and Peru when it comes to construction of buildings and houses for that matter, whether you like it or not there is corruption in Mexico and a lot of shoddy characters so are we going to have collapsing buildings yes that is a given, I do not sugar cote anything I tell you the way it is, not speculation no innuendos have lived, worked and studied in Mexico for several years and have also dealt with the government and it is more corrupt today than 40 years ago!

navegator

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
navegator wrote:
I am in Mexico City right now and felt the earthquake, and my immediate family is helping out we also lost four children from a very dear friend in the school that collapsed.

navegator

I understand that and my heart goes out to all the people who are affected. But let's put this into perspective.

I would go now but they don't want that. They need picks, shovels, hardhats, vests, and packaged foods for those that are forming lines to remove rubble. At my school we are an official collection center for the zona citricola in Nuevo Leon.

We may not be there physically but are there in heart and soul and are abreast of the situation.

As I said, tragic, but let's not turn this into a "third world country" disaster. Reality check.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I am in Mexico City right now and felt the earthquake, and my immediate family is helping out we also lost four children from a very dear friend in the school that collapsed.

navegator

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
navegator wrote:

Who ever said "the city survived beautifully" needs a reality check, there is a lot damage, not only in Mexico City but in all of the adjoining states and major cities as well as small villages.

navegator

I didn't quite put it that way. However, compared to the construction, materials and retrofits that didn't exist pre-1985 the city has truly survived.

In 1985 412 buildings collapsed and another 3,124 were seriously damaged and the government death report was over 5,000 when we all know that it was four to five times that. Now with internet and social media, no one can escape from the truth or the reality.

In a city of more than 25,000,000 people let's not make this into a "pobre Mexico" or Mexico doesn't have the know how and corruption and looting is widespread.

Put things into perspective. Some fool said, "I don't understand why they aren't using bulldozers and heavy equipment". Don't be so foolish. This has to be done with care, one block at a time to avoid further collapse and loss of life.

Mexico has pulled together like never before. Here we are just over 30 hours after a major quake and it is amazing how the country and the CDMX has pulled together. Compare this to Katrina, Harvey and Irma.

Again, don't make Mexico look like the loser most people here attempt to do without any actual facts or proof.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
My niece has been preparing first aid kits and hygiene toiletries to distribute
for those that lost their homes and those not allowed in to the dwellings until being checked, there are buildings that are still coming down, one office building collapsed with every one inside, my niece's cousin helped recue 18 survivors from that building from yesterday to two o'clock today with no food just some water the poor guy is exhausted, everyone is helping in some way.

You guys in the USA pass the word along that there are going to be a bunch of scammers looking for donations for the disaster victims hurricanes and quakes, make sure that the donations are made trough legit channels.

Who ever said "the city survived beautifully" needs a reality check, there is a lot damage, not only in Mexico City but in all of the adjoining states and major cities as well as small villages.

navegator

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Navegator -- Thanks!

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on who is asking, to me it sounds fishy my sister in law has been able to comunicate with every one both in Canada and the USA, me personally no I would not open my wi-fi, there is ample comunications in all the afected states.

navegator

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Navegator -- The news here in the US is asking us to open up our wi-fi for use by families and friends here trying to get in touch with victims in and around Mexico City. Do you think that will work? Will it also work in Mexico after the disaster?

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
As of 09:00 AM Mexico City time 229 dead and 50 buildings collapsed in Mexico City alone and hundreds damaged and an enormous amount of wounded persons, the hospitals and clinics are treating the less severe wounds in the patios and streets or parks.

The other States also have dead, I do not have a count or how much damage to the structures, it is going to take some days to appraise the magnitude of destruction once the authorities reach the small towns and villages in the outlying areas.

navegator

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Over 200 dead. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Last I saw, 149 dead. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4