cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replaced Starter, now, no 12V power at the dash

johncasey37
Explorer
Explorer
I changed the starter. Then the problem started...Had the starter checked. I checked every fuse i could find. Wires look ok, peeled back heat shield to check. 2 fuse boxes under hood. One 12" metal box with disconnect switches, this one has power everywhere, except a vertical row of fuses on right side. another 6" fuse box under hood all dead. a 3rd fuse box under dash, all dead. even the security light for the ignition..dead. Disconnect switch sound like they are working. I can turn the key on(no lights at all on dash) and then jump the solenoid, and start the RV...still dash is dead. I would appreciate any clues.
2004 southwind 32V / Workhorse
thanks
John Casey
14 REPLIES 14

johncasey37
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, 3 BIG cables to the positive side. I took the starter off (again) and wires look good. On the Battery, have to use a side terminal extender(easy to snap in half) I jumped the starter solenoid and started the RV again. There was power at the dash /horn/ etc, while it was running. Now, this RV has some security thing on it, where the keys have to be close to the steering column for it to start. Normally, with everything off, there remains a small red blinking light on the steering column. This small red light has not lit up since we replaced the starter. I am wondering if this security system is my issue. Digging thru the paperwork, i think i have documentation on it. the key tag says, "TRIAD", zero contact security...and a 1-888 number

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do not believe Workhorse does it this way but I have seen CARS where power to the dash is tapped off at the starter BATTERY terminal (That's the big one).

Now,,, You say you disconnected the battery..

On my WOrkhorse there were 3 wires hooked to the POSITIVE terminal and one negative

Jacks
Starter
Intelletec Battery Control Center (Ignition, dash, everything NOT the starter or Jacks)

Due to the use of the WRONG type of metal this connection was a major issue.. So I got a SHORT battery cable (*Actually a repair cable) and moved those wrong metal connections a few inches away from the battery.. Also reduced to just one wire to the battery (a proper battery wire) Just so you know.

I suspect that is where the issue is. Missed a wire at the battery

Option 2.
IF unit was connected to shore power. the BCC wire would still have been HOT, possible issue with the BCC,
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

johncasey37
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the suggestions.
I am going to look at it again, carefully.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
i always like to take a picture of the wiring with my phone before i take it apart so i can look later and make sure it gets put back together the same way it came apart. you may have missed a wire or have one connected wrong since this started after the starter replacement. on most vehicles the dash power comes from a wire connected to the starter solenoid and goes through a fusible link to the fuse panels.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Remember to check ground connections. It could be from the work you were doing or a coincidence but when a bunch of stuff goes out, first thing I do is check the work, then the grounds. Wiggle them, tug on the wires. Wrench the bolts a little.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Although some of the symptoms don't match this very good, maybe it will lead you to something else.

In some (many?) applications, one fat black negative battery cable is bolted to the chassis at one of the starter mounting bolts. Any chance that is loose ?
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

johncasey37
Explorer
Explorer
2004 southwind 32V / Workhorse
added late

johncasey37
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, we disconnected the battery....

I do think it is some simple thing....

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you didn't disconnect the battery you may have taken out a fusible link someplace.

johncasey37
Explorer
Explorer
there is only 2 big wires and one small one. there is a 4th in the same harness that connects to a sensor in the block.

The small wire was all rusted, but i put a new end on it.
all the wires are wrapped up with heat shielding.
I really only unwrapped about 2" of the small wire. I will go out and see if there was another wire with it.

I know the thing has tricked me so far.LOL
JC

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Check all the wires again, you missed one.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
My bet is on a dropped wire. Grab a flash light and look in the area of the wires that were taken off.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
johncasey37 wrote:
I changed the starter. Then the problem started...Had the starter checked. I checked every fuse i could find. Wires look ok, peeled back heat shield to check. 2 fuse boxes under hood. One 12" metal box with disconnect switches, this one has power everywhere, except a vertical row of fuses on right side. another 6" fuse box under hood all dead. a 3rd fuse box under dash, all dead. even the security light for the ignition..dead. Disconnect switch sound like they are working. I can turn the key on(no lights at all on dash) and then jump the solenoid, and start the RV...still dash is dead. I would appreciate any clues.
thanks
John Casey

OK, and the make, model, year, chassis, engine of your motorhome might be....?
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
A little information about the RV would help a lot. Make, model, year, chassis manufacturer, etc.