cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Home RV parking

trackdude
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of pouring a concrete slab for the wheels on each side of my TT and a smaller one for the tongue. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
2004 GMC Denali, 6.0 L SUV
Freedom Express TT, 295 RLDS
One wife and a tumbleweed for a pet.
28 REPLIES 28

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I used 18 x 18 concrete step stones, easy to put down and easy to move. At the same time I installed a 4x4 post with electric, water and cable hookups and being my sewer-line was right along side the trailer, I installed a cleanout for sewer hookup and dump. Its nice being able to work on the trailer while plugged in and if family visits with their rv.
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the idea of a nice slab and roof is super-deluxe. That's the way I plan to go.................
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
I put down 2X12s for the tires with old rubber conveyor belt strips on top. Glad I didnt commit to a pad as I ended up moving the trailer to a different location on our property after 5 years. Its now next to the barn with a gravel pad and the same 2X12s and conveyor belt strips. Wired a 30 amp plug on the side of the barn.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
If it's only for the wheels, why not just use pavers? I put in a gravel parking spot with levelled pavers for the wheels. It's worked great for the last 14 years.

If I could I would have a concrete slab with a cover, but I'm too close to the property line.

Great idea and I think I will do the same...thanks!
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

westend
Explorer
Explorer
jbjuices wrote:
Question on the Metal Canopy...I'm considering building one at the place I store my trailer and wondering if 1) I should have them put metal all the down the sides and 2) if they're easy to take down if we'd have to. I don't plan on ever moving storage areas, but questioning it just in case.
If you're thinking about a free-standing structure that assembles like a kit and is then covered with a roof or walls, there is a an amount of fastening using metal panels. Most are done with a self-drilling screw. If you want to disassemble it, those screws need to come out and rarely, can they be reused in the same hole. The frame also is some work to assemble/disassemble.

If you are thinking about disassembling a steel sided pole shelter, forget about it. The roofs and walls are nailed with substantial fasteners. To disassemble one, you need to cut every nail head off.

If I was using rented storage, a free-standing kit with a tarp type material might be a better choice. For long term parking, since I live in snow country, I'd look for covered storage.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
Question on the Metal Canopy...I'm considering building one at the place I store my trailer and wondering if 1) I should have them put metal all the down the sides and 2) if they're easy to take down if we'd have to. I don't plan on ever moving storage areas, but questioning it just in case.
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I see you live where it might freeze once in a while, as such, pavers usually don't work to well, they come up with the frost heave, happens to me every winter and I keep telling myself, this summer I am going to pour deep concrete strips. Then I'll cover those up with 2X12's as wood is the best surface to park on to preserve tires.

Now I'm parking on a well compacted gravel driveway on a 2 x 12 on one side and 3/4" marine plywood on the other to make the trailer level. We use it for an extra bedroom as we live in a one bedroom park model, and around Thanksgiving we fire up the fridge to store the extra turkey's in. We keep it plugged in and heated to 50 degrees.

I vote for the strips, if you change TT's, just pour a couple more.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
I just use concrete pavers as well for the wheels and tongue. It works great and the cost was under $20. I don't need to worry about a concrete slab cracking and can use the money I saved buying other things for my travel trailer. The list of things I want is never ending.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
If it's only for the wheels, why not just use pavers? I put in a gravel parking spot with levelled pavers for the wheels. It's worked great for the last 14 years.

If I could I would have a concrete slab with a cover, but I'm too close to the property line.

that's what I did too, if I get a bigger or smaller tt, just move them
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
trackdude wrote:
I'm thinking of pouring a concrete slab for the wheels on each side of my TT and a smaller one for the tongue. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
I would do like someone else mentioned. Just get a few 6" thick square concrete pavers, just big enough for the tire area. Dig a hole, put some sand under them, level em up, and your done. Quick easy and moveable if the need arises.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Me tooo. Work fine.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did 2 slabs for the tires, made sure they were level so I could pre-cool the fridge before trips. I didn't pour a slab for the tongue though, just used wood blocks. Sold my 22 footer and have a 32 footer now, so it wouldn't have lined up anyway.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I used crushed asphalt in my trailer parking areas

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Go with a full slab, easy to crawl underneath and work on things. You never know what may develop in the future.
Mark