Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Media Advisory: Oct. 13, 2017
CONTACT: DEP Press Office, 850.245.2112, DEPNews@dep.state.fl.us

Fort Zachary Taylor, John Pennekamp and
Curry Hammock State Parks Reopen

~Three state parks in Monroe County reopen for visitors to enjoy~

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Department of Environmental Protection’s Florida Park Service announces that three additional state parks in the Keys have reopened following the impacts of Hurricane Irma. Amenities and access to certain areas of the parks may be limited as park staff continue clean-up efforts.

The following parks have reopened for day-use:

Curry Hammock State Park
Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park
John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park

The following state parks and trails in the Keys are also open for visitors to enjoy:

Dagny Johnson Key Largo Hammock Botanical State Park

The Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail - due to conditions and construction, sections of the trail may be closed.
Lignumvitae Key Botanical State Park
San Pedro Underwater Archaeological Preserve State Park
Windley Key Fossil Reef Geological State Park

To ensure visitor safety, five state parks remain closed, but crews are working to reopen them as quickly as possible. For a full list of park closures and for continuously updated information, please visit floridastateparks.org and the Florida State Parks Facebook page.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate
19 REPLIES 19

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
OP updated 10-13-17

Fort Zachary Taylor, John Pennekamp and
Curry Hammock State Parks Reopen
Dutch

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Bump - OP update 10-9-17
Dutch

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
OP updated 9-29. Just 14 parks still closed, 160 open...
Dutch

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We also had a res for Pennekamp in October. Got the canx refund notice from Reserve America today.

All our other October Keys state park res were canx a week or so ago,

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I was surprised last week when Reserve America showed Sept 29th as the day you could make reservations. I heard from a friend that works there, at one of the concessions, that they didn't get much damage at the park from Irma. Of course he is still out of work, and has no idea when the park will reopen.

I checked the Reserve America site last night and noticed that my reservation and a number of others still showed, but dates after those reservations showed Xs. I figured something was wrong.

I called Reserve America, after calling the park once yesterday and again today and getting no answer, and was told to wait a few days and I would be contacted by them, if the reservation was cancelled.

A couple of hours later I got the call that the reservation was cancelled.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
On the 14th I was able (for some reason) to make a reservation at John Pennekamp starting on the 29th (this Fri). This morning I received an automated call saying the reservation was cancelled and the park was not expected to open before Oct 31st.

From the Parks Dept. press release in the OP:

"All other Florida State Parks are open at this time for day use only."

I have heard though, that some parks are honoring pre-existing current reservations. Best to call them and verify first...
Dutch

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
On the 14th I was able (for some reason) to make a reservation at John Pennekamp starting on the 29th (this Fri). This morning I received an automated call saying the reservation was cancelled and the park was not expected to open before Oct 31st.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Thread starter updated...
Dutch

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
And it's $17 to cancel or change.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
On Tuesday I made a reservation, through Reserve America, for a Florida state park. I was charged the normal $6.70 transaction fee.
I was under the impression that the fees charged on Reserve America were determined by the campground or agency that the reservation is for. I know the Florida state parks were reserved through Reserve America without any additional fees for a number of years, before the transaction fee was added, a few years ago.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding Reserve America.

They suspended the fees to reserve thru Reserve America due to Hurricane Irma to help people during and after Hurricane Irma for those seeking a place to stay.

Don't know if that has been lifted or not. Most of the other types of eliminating fees to ease the burden from the hurricane and such end at the end of the month.

Those of you out of state making arrangements for the winter months might be able to save a few bucks.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had reservations this week at Gamble and it was RA who called and emailed me that they were cancelled. They left our October res on the books for now.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on calling the park. Just because you can still make reservations via Reserve America, it doesn't mean the park is allowing overnight stays. After reading this thread, I advised a co-worker to call the park in the panhandle he had made recent reservations with, and sure enough, no overnight stays. Luckily, he got a refund.

You'd think that the park system and Reserve America would be more in sync with each other.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I've received a refund from Reserve America for Long Key, Bahia Honda, and Curry Hammock. Mid-October trip.

No refund from Pennekamp, but sounds like they'll be open. Surprised.

Up here in Sarasota, Oscar Scherer isn't taking reservations until next week some time but they are taking walk-ins for camping.