cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carpet Removal In Bunkhouse

rb2boxer
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone removed the carpet in their bunkhouse? I have a 2016 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS. It appears the flooring from the main area runs all the way back. The carpet got saturated with liquid from rotten watermelon.I have tried all natural methods to get rid of smell and although better, I can still smell it. I need to remove or replace I think
9 REPLIES 9

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
carpet in RV's is stupid. Rip it out everytime we buy another TT.

One of our recent TT's was an '85 Wilderness with carpet in the bathroom??????why??????? There had been a tiny leak in the p-trap and over years it quietly seeped under the carpet and completely rotted the floor. So, I got to rebuild the whole rear end of the floor of it.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
rb2boxer wrote:
subcamper wrote:
I removed the carpet in the bunk area on a Rockwood. The vinyl flooring did extend all the way under it.

The way they made the finished edge on the carpeting where it met the vinyl was to staple the rug upside-down and then fold it back over.

I did have to cut it at the wall edge as the interior wall was on top of the rug.

There are tiny staple holes but you won't notice them.

Steve

Do you have a slide in the bunkhouse? If so, were there any issues? In the living are there is a strip of carpet that runs along the floor against the slide carpet.....see that in all of them. I wasn't sure if having no carpet there would be an issue

Thanks for the info!!!

Yes, the carpet I removed was in front of a bunkhouse slide. There was no problem running the slide after removing the rug. The slide, however, doesn't have a piece of rug that slides over the main rug. It's just a wood front.

Our big dinette/couch slide has the strip of rug that is attached to the slide. There is carpeting in front of the slide. The rug strip attached to the slide moves over the top of the rug strip on the main floor. If that (rug strip on main floor)were to be removed, I don't think it would affect slide operation. The rug strip attached to the front of the slide would need to stay because it covers up the gap where the slide drops down into when fully open.

Steve

rb2boxer
Explorer
Explorer
subcamper wrote:
I removed the carpet in the bunk area on a Rockwood. The vinyl flooring did extend all the way under it.

The way they made the finished edge on the carpeting where it met the vinyl was to staple the rug upside-down and then fold it back over.

I did have to cut it at the wall edge as the interior wall was on top of the rug.

Steve

Do you have a slide in the bunkhouse? If so, were there any issues? In the living are there is a strip of carpet that runs along the floor against the slide carpet.....see that in all of them. I wasn't sure if having no carpet there would be an issue

Thanks for the info!!!

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II

Steve

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
"Only one thing worse than rotten watermelon, baby poop." I think that this is worse, rotten potatoes that have gone to liquid state.

For the original question, you may have to take a sharp knife and cut around the walls/edges, the carpet may have been installed first and then walls or cupboards put over top. If the subfloor is a plywood/luan etc, let it thoroughly dry out and then paint with a primer designed for sealing the wood. Hot humid weather could draw the smells through the new carpet or floor finish material.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Only one thing worse than rotten watermelon, baby poop.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Pull/cut the old carpet out. If there is a separate pad under the carpet, toss that, too. New carpet and/or pad can be purchased at any of the big box stores. You may wish to clean the vinyl and leave the floor exposed so that any remaining odor gases off before replacing the carpet.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm partial to washable throw rugs over vinyl...easily replaceable too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Probably doable. The vinyl flooring usually is installed first over the floor so it covers everywhere, even under all the carpeting. You may end up with tiny holes form the staples they use to secure the carpet though.
I would try it. The worst that cold happen is you eventually have to re-carpet.