cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground around Columbus, GA

cindik
Explorer
Explorer
Headed to St. George, FL. In October. Need a good overnight around Pine Mtn. Any suggestions? FDR state park requires 2 nights.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR SOLDIERS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
THE ONLY THING HARDER THAN BEING A SOLDIER, IS LOVING ONE

Our Photos
14 REPLIES 14

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Book FDR for 2 nights, stay 1, for the same price as 1 at the KOA.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We have always stayed at "Lake Pines" campground just east of the city on US 80. My wife had an uncle, retired army major, who lived in Columbus, so we visited several times. Always found Lake Pines to be our choice.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Georgia Veterans State Park near Cordelle. Certainly not the closest but nice.We enjoyed the Infantry Museum at Ft Benning and the Confederate naval Museum in Columbus.

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
If you are military or military retired, Fort Benning has a great recreation area and campground.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
Pine Mountain Campground in Pine Mountain.

Totally forgot about this, and I live in the area, and the lady that feeds my cats when I'm gone used to work there.

http://www.rvcoutdoors.com/pine-mountain/

Less than a mile north of the town of Pine Mountain on US 27.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Pine Mountain Campground in Pine Mountain.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
Georgia Power has a campground on Lake Harding, not far off of I-185. I have not been there, but have been to other GA Power campgrounds, and they are nice.

Looks like it is at the same exit as Hunters Pub. Trust me, have dinner there, and have the fried lobster tails, and the ribeye. It's in the middle of no where, and you may have to park in the ditch, but it is well worth a visit. Yes, it is the cinder block building from the 50's.

Georgia Power closed most of their campgrounds, including Blanton Creek on September 4th or Sept 17th, They will reopen next spring. Tugalo Park remains open all year, and Lake Seed closes Nov 1st. These two are in North Georgia.

https://www.georgiapower.com/in-your-community/lakes-and-recreation/home.cshtml

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
X2 on eating at Hunters Pub. What it lacks in curb appeal it makes up in food appeal. What you save by staying at the Welcome Center will pay for dinner. OK, maybe not all the cost.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
johnhicks wrote:
I was just at Heard COE and although I didn't get a chance to thoroughly explore the park I noticed that many sites were short and the driveways to the parking pads were extremely sloped. Check first if you can.

There should not be a length problem. There lots of sites there that are 60-70' long.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Georgia Power has a campground on Lake Harding, not far off of I-185. I have not been there, but have been to other GA Power campgrounds, and they are nice.

Looks like it is at the same exit as Hunters Pub. Trust me, have dinner there, and have the fried lobster tails, and the ribeye. It's in the middle of no where, and you may have to park in the ditch, but it is well worth a visit. Yes, it is the cinder block building from the 50's.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I was just at Heard COE and although I didn't get a chance to thoroughly explore the park I noticed that many sites were short and the driveways to the parking pads were extremely sloped. Check first if you can.
-jbh-

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use the welcome center/rest area on I-185 just before Columbus and in October you should not need AC.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The two night stay requirement is only for weekends, the remainder of the week there is no such requirement. Weekends appear rather full in October, but you could simply call the park close to arrival time and see if there are any openings. I suspect they are fairly flexible about bending the rules.

If you are a senior, and expect in the next year to ever stay in a Georgia park again, by all means purchase the Friends of Georgia Parks Annual Pass. For Seniors it is $35 and you get one night free (they punch the pass when you use up the night) and that night is regular priced at $32 and 20% off for seniors, but the good part is for the next year you will not have to pay the $5 entry fee (which is also charged to campers). Its a no brainer if you plan to visit GA parks again.

No idea what route you are taking, but it sounds like you might be considering taking US27 down to Columubus and on to Bainbridge or all the way to Tallahassee.

A little further down is River Bend Primitive Campground, $5 if you don't need any hook ups and just want a safe place to park and enjoy the evening and night.

http://www.exploregeorgia.org/listing/3862-riverbend-park-primitive-camping

Charles

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
R Shaefer Heard is a COE campground on West Point Lake just above Columbus. A very nice COE but it may be a little out of your way.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams