cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best RV insurance?

Headlesschicken
Explorer
Explorer
Just baught our first Class A. Trying to find insurance this week for it but know little about insurance and less about RVing as this is our first motorhome. Does anyone have suggestions on good insurance? We will be selling our house and traveling for a year. We have called a few places and found out some don't consider it full time because we plan to come back. Also was told some only cover vehicle parts while others cover everything like bathroom, kitchen, ac ect. Looking for full coverage homeowner like insurance. Any suggestions?
13 REPLIES 13

georgem2106
Explorer
Explorer
I talked with Foremost yesterday. They are currently not writing any policies in Florida because of Irma. The agent did not know when they would start again. Just a heads up.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you full time you don't have any form of homeowners liability insurance and you need that! If someone is hurt while in or around your RV you would not have any kind of coverage.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Harrydavidson
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't bought an RV yet just lurking about and getting edumcaded.
Can someone explain what full timing has to do with insurance versus say going 6 months at a time.

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Is your MH a larger Class A or a smaller class B? Is it new or used? a new MH you can get replacement cost insurance, total, even years later, you get a current replacement. Other types will pay you the depreciated value. Also not all Auto Insurance Cos cover RVs and even if they do they may not in YOUR state. We just lost our Company after 10 years. Had to switch. Our Auto co would cover us but at much higher cost. If you are an FMCA member they have an arrangement with a couple vendors. Or try the Tobin Agency. They've handled our
MH coverage since day one. I've not been able to beat their quotes.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Gonzo42 wrote:
I finally went to AAA for everything.

I could easily be wrong but it was my understanding that AAA does not offer full timer insurance which is an absolute necessity if you plan to keep any of the money you have earned over the years.

AND there towing roadside service has limitations i.e. your geographical location, what your are towing.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Headlesschickens wrote:
Just baught our first Class A. Trying to find insurance this week for it but know little about insurance and less about RVing as this is our first motorhome. Does anyone have suggestions on good insurance? We will be selling our house and traveling for a year. We have called a few places and found out some don't consider it full time because we plan to come back. Also was told some only cover vehicle parts while others cover everything like bathroom, kitchen, ac ect. Looking for full coverage homeowner like insurance. Any suggestions?

When you call an insurance company, tell they you are going full time, nothing more. I have used Progressive and National Interstate as well as Explorer which might be a duplication of one or the other. We could not use USAA as they don't offer the full timer liability insurance that you must have so just look around and get the best price for the required insurance.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gonzo42 wrote:

I could easily be wrong but it was my understanding that AAA does not offer full timer insurance which is an absolute necessity if you plan to keep any of the money you have earned over the years.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
I think you're a little confused. RV insurance is for damage to your coach either by accident or nature. It does not cover any item that may fail. What you need there is an "extended service plan" (ESP) ...some callout it a warrantee....that will cover failed parts.

Two different things.

Ron

X1. IMHO, extended warrantees are financially beneficial to the company that sells it and not to the owner of the RV. The extended warrantees have so many "exceptions/conditions".

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a regular automobile, check with the insurance company for your car/truck. And do they REALLY need to know you are going full timing? It hasn't happened yet so whey even bother to bring that part of it up. What you don't need to say is, "I'm looking for insurance on my camper as I'm planning on full timing." What you DO need to say is, "I need full insurance coverage on my camper." ... period. Full insurance will cover, not only road or accident, liability and property damage, but also when parked at home or in a campground, if in use or not in use, and you need insurance for a "slip and fall" situation, for example if someone slips and falls over your garden hose and it's determined you were careless and at fault, to dog bites.

RV insurance DOES not cover warranty items, repairs, normal wear and tear. For that, you need to look at extended service plans or extended warranty plans separate and apart from normal automobile/RV insurance.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you're a little confused. RV insurance is for damage to your coach either by accident or nature. It does not cover any item that may fail. What you need there is an "extended service plan" (ESP) ...some callout it a warrantee....that will cover failed parts.

Two different things.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Headlesschickens wrote:

I put my RV on the same policy as my home. Just check to make sure it covers all that you need.

Y-Guy
I'm not sure it's best or not, but I've been with Blue Sky RV Insurance for 5 years and I've been very happy with them. I had my first claim with them (broken windshield) and dealing with their claims agent was painless and smooth. They do offer Full Timer insurance as well.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.