cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 ford taurus for dinghy towing

ljclark2
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on setting up our 2013 ford Taurus for 4 wheel down towing. We will be traveling from NY to CA this year and Alaska next year. Looking to see if anyone else has used the same vehicle. We have a 31' Thor Windsport.
5 REPLIES 5

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I have a Taurus. Only the 3.5 flavor engines (because of transmission, I am sure) can be towed 4 down. I tow mine, it is delightful. I have the SHO, 3.5L Ecoboost. You will need to disconnect the battery when towing as it will be dead. Start it every 6 hours for lube.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford vehicles that had transmission issues were the 2009 - 2012 Fusion and Escape. Ford stopped authorizing these vehicles to be towed 4 wheels down on February 28, 2012 due to the continuing transmission problems.

I have never heard of any transmission issues with the Taurus (which uses a different transmission).
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

ljclark2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. The manual claims it can be 4 wheels down towed. I checked for a service bulletin and did not find one on any transmission problems. I have read several posts about the manuals, and dealers being wrong when giving advise about towing. I was hoping reaching out for personal stories would help.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what does the owner's manual say about towing behind a motorhome or recreational towing?
bumpy

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Ford has historically had transmission issues when dinghy towing.
Have you checked the Owners Manual for towing instructions?
For some models, there is a Service Bulletin recommending adjusting the transmission fluid level for towing.
I know it is a statement that annoys many people, but please do read and follow the instructions!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"