cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Andersen Weight Distributing Hitch Compatibility Issue

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if this has been discussed here, but I did not find anything in my quick search on this forum.
I have a travel trailer on order (see signature). I have ordered and received the Andersen WD hitch. Upon receiving the hitch I see the below text on the front page of the install manual.
---Currently the Atwood 88007, 88010, 88555 and 88600 couplers are not compatible with the Andersen WD Hitch (all other Atwood couplers are fine).---
Doing a general web search, I saw some one post that these specific Atwood couplers are limited to Air Stream. I did see this in the Air Stream forum. Hmmm...?
Several question..
1. Is the above statement regard Air Stream only true?
2. What is the true problem with these couplers? breaks with Andersen? uncouples during use with Andersen? will not easily unhook with Andersen? etc.
3. What have those of you that have run into this compatibility issue done to correct the problem?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH
11 REPLIES 11

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
I may have found part of my problem. One bracket on the tongue was an inch closer to the ball than the other. Either or a combination of these excuses may apply. -miss measured the first time
-slipped before tightening
-slipped during a trip
-don't know

We will see how it tows back home tomorrow.
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
We got or camper from the dealer on I think Nov 8th. We did a local trip to a State park for the camper shakedown. Other than a couple of water leaks, all was good. (kitchen sink drain, tightened by hand and toilet supply line also tightened by hand)

On to the Andersen hitch. I set the hitch up at the dealer in the rain on unlevel ground with the idea I just needed to get home with it. Well, bad set up. I put too much weight on the front of the truck and on the trailer. Also, the hitch height was too low. It was a short ~12 mile trip, all went well, just did not feel right.

Before the next trip out, I raised the hitch height. just put enough tension chains to raise the truck bumper about an inch. It towed well to the State park that weekend.

I towed the trailer to Myrtle Beach on Sunday, Nov 19th. It was windy and I expected a little sway, but it was more than I thought, but the system kept it in control. I stopped at a rest stop, checked the rig levelness by eye (looked good) and increased the tension on the chains. A little better. I figured I would check the trailer and truck level more when I hook up here and leave for home Friday. This truck is a Canyon, crew cab, long bed and seems to support the tongue weight very well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

GT928
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our used 2011 Earthbound Golden Ridge in January of this year. It included the WD hitch and friction sway bar. We have been on several trips the longest of which was about 400 miles RT. Getting the hitch set up for our vehicle, a 2013 Grand Cherokee, was a little trial and error, but it was working reasonably well. Regardless, after a lot of research I decided to buy an Andersen Hitch. I removed the old and installed it a couple of weekends ago. We went on our first trip with it this past weekend. Wow!

Our trip included limited access highways and lots of twisty mountain roads. I canโ€™t believe how much better it tows. There was a night and day different in handling and ride. Further findings after this trip:

โ€ข The hitch is very light compared to the old hitch. Reaching into the storage bay to lift the old hitch when getting ready to travel was difficult. The new one is a piece of cake.

โ€ข It is incredibly easy to hitch up and unhitch. Much easier and less to do than with the old one.

โ€ข It is quiet. No popping and cracking and creaking etc. When pulling away from the campsite, a neighbor could not believe it was so quiet. I canโ€™t underestimate the feeling of wellbeing when traveling without the gnashing of the old hitch. My wife and I just couldnโ€™t get used to it.

โ€ข It is very easy to fine tune adjustments from trip to trip if your load changes. A socket wrench with the included socket are all that is needed.

โ€ข The lighter hitch hardware lowers the weight at the hitch.

โ€ข The hitch can be used on trailers up to 11,000 pounds so if you switch vehicles or travel trailers the same hitch will work.

All in all, it appears to be an innovative and superior piece of engineering.
2011 Earthbound Golden Ridge
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
North Georgia

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
Well I finally got info from KZ regarding the frame number, which then enabled me to get the coupler info from from Lippert, the frame manufacture. Lippert was able then to confirm that a Lippert couple is on that frame and not an Atwood. I am good for now.
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The design of the Andersen puts considerable force on the coupler latch. Some brands of couplers might tolerate that abuse more than others, but personally I don't want that type of hitch.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pld33270 wrote:
As for the Andersen hitch, the design is simple, lighter weight, no grease, no bouncing, no noise, etc. My past experience with the spring bars was not great, but that was the only thing available then, or at least I knew about. I hope it lives up to the advertisements. The dry hitch weight of this small unit is less than 400#. Add two 20# LP bottles and a battery, I may be up to 500# + cargo.

Your new K-Z Connect C201B is a virtual clone of my own Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS - a foot longer but also only 7.5' wide ... interestingly your listed UVW is several hundred pounds higher, yet I typically run ours with an average GVW loaded & ready to camp of ~ 4800 lbs with an average gross tongue weight of ~ 625 lbs. My bet is you'll be in similar territory.

Do let us know how your Andersen works out for you with this trailer. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your responses.

I have contacted KZ customer service, which gave me the phone number for Lippert (chassis supplier). I called Lippert, and they can not help me without the frame number of the frame the unit is built on. I will try one more time thru KZ customer service to speak to someone in the engineering group. If do not get the info needed, the frame number or a definitive answer from KZ regarding the Atwood coupler used, I will just go back to the dealer and look at the trailers on the lot. Most likely would have been my best bet. Saturdays seem to be the only time I can get there, provided my Saturday is free.

As for the Andersen hitch, the design is simple, lighter weight, no grease, no bouncing, no noise, etc. My past experience with the spring bars was not great, but that was the only thing available then, or at least I knew about. I hope it lives up to the advertisements. The dry hitch weight of this small unit is less than 400#. Add two 20# LP bottles and a battery, I may be up to 500# + cargo.
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
By the way these type WDH hitches work is that very unlikely your hitch is going pop off your ball. To much down force. I have an Andersen and love it.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like there is little chance your trailer has one of those hitches. Find out from the dealer or manufacturer and rest easy. By the way, I have that hitch and love it. So much easier to hitch and unhitch plus absolutely no jerk, jerk, jerk when on a concrete road with those dreaded cracks. My Equal-i-zer was a great hitch but it sure did jerk me around on those concrete roads.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
i believe those are a smaller ball coupler or a single beam couopler.

Neither is the case, the Atwood 88007 being an example.

Not sure I understand the OP's concern, this Andersen Alert spells out exactly what the issue is with these specific couplers. Since you're so concerned ask your dealer if this new trailer you're buying has one of these couplers ... if not, forgettaboutit. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yup, it's right there to read. "Because of the unique design of these Atwood couplers, when they are combined with the Andersen Weight
Distribution system there is a potential issue where some couplers can become unlatched over time (due to wear on
the internal latch system). We are currently working with the folks at Atwood to come up with a permanent solution."

A potential TT buyer can easily look at the coupler on the model he's considering. The brand (and type number, if applicable) should be stamped on it.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
i believe those are a smaller ball coupler or a single beam couopler.

Neither is the case, the Atwood 88007 being an example.

Not sure I understand the OP's concern, this Andersen Alert spells out exactly what the issue is with these specific couplers. Since you're so concerned ask your dealer if this new trailer you're buying has one of these couplers ... if not, forgettaboutit. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380