cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog first aid kit?

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We have just rescued a shelter dog from kill shelter...sweet thing too.

What do you all carry for first aid for pup? We are going to desert south west with
her shortly...so tweezers and pliers for cactus... What else do you bring just for dog.
Benadryl I have in children's dosage.

ANY ideas on how to introduce her to cactus...as in ny, we don't have any...except for the hard way.

Mali thanks you.
21 REPLIES 21

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I've picked out some items to add to my list.
Liquid bandage/super glue was one of them and my afro comb
might be of use on Cholla...which was one of my concerns as they
seem to be laying about.
Mali thanks you.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing I do that I consider part of my first aid safety for the dogs.

When I pull into a CG as I travel the first thing I do is look up the nearest vet to the CG. The phone number AND directions are then put on the fridge door. And repeat at every CG stop all the way.

Nothing worse than panicking when you dog needs emergency care and you don't have the phone and address right there in front of you so you can take them in asap.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We also carry super glue in our kit; had to use it once when our greyhound sliced open his back leg on the bottom corner of the screen door to close up the cut before wrapping.

For dosing we know our dogs' weights and know the link to the Merck Veterinary Manual.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Walgreens has a store version of Bufferin.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

dturm
In small animal practice, we deal with patients from less than 1# up to near 200#, so most medication is dosed according to weight.

For those of you who want to use aspirin, I'd recommend you talk to your vet to make sure that is appropriate and to get a recommended dose.

As far as brands, I'm not real particular - I use bufferin personally.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
"Regarding aspirin, buffered is preferred. Most people tremendously under dose aspirin in dogs to the point where it probably doesn't work as needed. If you are giving a low dose aspirin to anything larger than a 10# dog, you are under dosing."

Assume you can adjust the dose based on the weight of the dog? I use baby aspirin because it's something I take myself (convenient) and my vet says that the company that used to make the buffered product for dogs stopped making it because the demand wasn't large enough. Do you have a specific product your recommend - I know that some of the common product we use as human's are harmful/lethal.
Kevin

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Multi-tool is fine. I carried a miniature leatherman, However, I'd highly recommend carrying a afro, or teasing (?) type of comb. It's a comb with five or six long spread apart teeth. This is used if your pal gets a piece of Cholla cactus stuck to him/her. Place the comb under the piece of cholla, then flick it off. A plier is not as effective in this situation.

Pops

dturm
Pawz4me wrote:
Hopefully Dr. Doug will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought "baby" (low dose) aspirin wasn't particularly useful for dogs as it's almost always enteric coated and the coating doesn't dissolve at the appropriate point (or at all) in a dog's digestive tract for it to be absorbed well? My vet has always said that buffered aspirin is best for dogs. Of course that makes it tough for small dogs, as buffered aspirin is typically 325 mg. (and even that is getting harder to find).

While aspirin will work in dogs (don't use in cats without specific instructions from your vet), it is not my preferred method of control for pain/inflammation. There are nsaids that work better and are safer, and I prefer that my patients/clients keep a small supply of another nsaid on hand for those times something is needed.

Regarding aspirin, buffered is preferred. Most people tremendously under dose aspirin in dogs to the point where it probably doesn't work as needed. If you are giving a low dose aspirin to anything larger than a 10# dog, you are under dosing.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully Dr. Doug will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought "baby" (low dose) aspirin wasn't particularly useful for dogs as it's almost always enteric coated and the coating doesn't dissolve at the appropriate point (or at all) in a dog's digestive tract for it to be absorbed well? My vet has always said that buffered aspirin is best for dogs. Of course that makes it tough for small dogs, as buffered aspirin is typically 325 mg. (and even that is getting harder to find).

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Carry one every time out. Most used items used were those that deal with cut paws.Also may want to include a vomit inducer.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some things we use too, but for a dog specifically, our has long hairy ears so is prone to yeast infection when it's hot. I carry a bottle of prescription ear wash to clean her ears on a regular basis, antibiotic cream, benadryl gel and liquid, as well as grooming supplies. We always have peroxide, rubbing alcohol, tweezers, small scissors and bandaging of all kinds and baby aspirin ( our dog is little and a senior)

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Vet wrap, Vetricyn, saline solution (the stuff for human eyes works really well), Imodium (for diarrhea), benadryl. All of this works really well for humans also, and will get you to the nearest vet. (I use Vetricyn for my own scrapes, it's great stuff.)
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
We travel pretty light. We're rarely very far from civilization, so all we need is enough to cope until we can get to a pharmacy, vet, etc. Basically it's vet wrap and some gauze pads, a pair of hemostats, antibiotic ointment, artificial tears, Benadryl, Rimadyl and Endosorb (for diarrhea).

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Our old boy only 'peed' on the cactus once. Since we often travel in snake country. Both the pups get their reg. 'RattleSnake' shots. Just gives you a little longer to get to the vet. Hvae not found 'avoidence' classes but are still looking. TakeCare ~ TravelSafe ~ HaveFun.