Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire chains questions

jpratt2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all:

We have a 29' Bigfoot on a Ford E450 chassis with dualies in back. Plans are to head out Oct. 1 for a month in the Southwest from home in NW Washington State.

While I wont seek it out, I know the possibility of hitting snow and ice exists over some of the passes we plan to travel.

What do you all recommend for tie chains? Also, do you chain up only the outer rears or all 4?

Thanks in advance!
29 REPLIES 29

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
BTW - some of the high elevation roads in Oregon and WA definitely have snow

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Or you could run with winter rated tires.

Gary Haupt

Snow tires do not meet the traction device requirements for vehicles of 10,000 pounds. However I run them, as does my brother on his 30' C, for poor weather conditions when chains are not required. Last winter I was commuting over the Cascades weekly, and while most weeks did not require chains, there was still plenty of slick areas. When chains were required, they absolutely were needed with last year's storms. I had a couple trips where I almost stalled out WITH chains, and many of the heavy trucks did stall out!

https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/minimum-chain-requirements.asp
2015 Ford Focus ST

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gonzo42 wrote:
I once had a VW Westfalia. My father gave me a pair of STUDDED tires. I ran those on the front and chains on the rear. Also, the only time I used them was at Mammoth Mountain, CA on a year of epic snowfall. When I left, I went back to all standard tires. Studded tires are illegal on pavement, and probably dangerous too.

Studded tires. As a lad I used to install studs into tires in the winter months working after school at the local repair shop and many times pull them back out of the tires in the spring. Jersey eventually banned them.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Why do so many people talk about "just return the chains" if you don't use them? If you needed them once (or had to have them in your vehicle), you may need them again -- why not just keep them?

How long will a store keep the "no questions asked" return policy if people just keep returning stuff?

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I once had a VW Westfalia. My father gave me a pair of STUDDED tires. I ran those on the front and chains on the rear. Also, the only time I used them was at Mammoth Mountain, CA on a year of epic snowfall. When I left, I went back to all standard tires. Studded tires are illegal on pavement, and probably dangerous too.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Or you could run with winter rated tires.

I would say no to chains...it's October, right? Not January. I haver made countless trips to Az and Nevada from BC in October and in November and not once had an issue. Watch the weather and if you need to stop for a bit? Better than chaining. Not so much you chaining...but if the roads are that bad, it's the other drivers that will get ya.

But..if you insist? Les Schwab so you can take them back in spring.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
T18skyguy wrote:
... A lot of guys say once you run chains on the RV, the rig is never the same. The intense vibrations loosen up the cabinetry and everything else in the rig....

I've never had to use chains. I always assumed it would be a temporary, slow speed situation just to get to where I could pull off and wait for the roads to be clear.

Do people actually tow long enough and fast enough that vibration is an issue? (obviously they do, from you post) I think it would be a terrible trip, using chains for any length of time.

Actually, now that I think about it, I am thinking of the chains that I have for my truck just in case we get caught in the snow for late season trips up to Vermont. These are BIG chains, with welded on "V" chunks for added traction. Are people talking about smaller, thinner setups like cable "chains"?

I've never chained up myself, but have heard plenty of stories from people with rigs that do. I just don't drive the thing on ice. I use Tripcheck and Noaa.gov for an accurate forecast over the pass, then I pick the right time to leave on the trip. Kind of threading the needle between bad weather. Once I saw an RV in front of me start to slide toward a cliff when it was stationary and the family inside. There was ice and the road had a steep slant toward the cliff side. It was really scary, but they avoided the disaster when the driver, myself, and another guy all hand shoved the back of the rig sideways across the ice. You wouldn't believe that could be possible, but when ice is wet the back end of a motorhome can be pushed around. That incident kinda sticks with me. Sorry I digress.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
^x2. I forgot to mention that the quick-fits don't add any vibration at all.

BTW - In Oregon and WA the fine is based on being over 10,000 pounds, commercial or not. In Oregon, it's $550. And most rigs I saw get themselves in trouble last winter didn't wreck, they just got stuck on a hill, usually due to slow traffic.
2015 Ford Focus ST

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
I use the Les Schwab heavy duty quick fits. They don't require much clearance, and are easy to put on, as long as you remember to hold the yellow with your left hand. I only chain the outer tires. I also use a set of "spider bungees". They keep things tight so you can effectively drive a little faster, and it negates the need to stop and re-tension, besides the initial re-tensioning after you roll forward 50-100 ft.

Chaining all fours requires a set of double-ladder chains, which are a bear to put on, and really only needed if you end up on un-plowed roads. Even when I was running wreckers on snow days, I never needed the doubles if I stayed on marked roads, plowed or not. I did however sometimes need front chains.

Bryan is correct.

The Les Schwab chains are designed for less vibration. There is a chain row running up the middle on every other loop over the tire. Oregon and many other western states require you to "carry" tire chains that will fit. If towing, you are required to put chains on the rear driver axle and also the towed rig. The state police do patrol and if (god forbid) you got in an accident and chains were required it wouldn't be good for the wallet.

With dully's, you can drive up on a 2 x 6 and strap on the chains to the outside tires.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Only time I ever considered putting chains on an RV was years ago with a 25 ft class A going North from Susanville CA to I5. Snow was getting deep enough it was hard to see the road, stepped on the brakes to pull over to put on chains and back end tried to pass front end, Changed mind and kept going. No problem weight was enough to keep us out of trouble and we made it with no problems.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Les Schwab heavy duty quick fits. They don't require much clearance, and are easy to put on, as long as you remember to hold the yellow with your left hand. I only chain the outer tires. I also use a set of "spider bungees". They keep things tight so you can effectively drive a little faster, and it negates the need to stop and re-tension, besides the initial re-tensioning after you roll forward 50-100 ft.

Chaining all fours requires a set of double-ladder chains, which are a bear to put on, and really only needed if you end up on un-plowed roads. Even when I was running wreckers on snow days, I never needed the doubles if I stayed on marked roads, plowed or not. I did however sometimes need front chains.
2015 Ford Focus ST

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If we didn't have and occasionally need chains/cables, a good portion of our rv'ing just wouldn't happen! 😉 For some of us, fall/winter is the best time for using the RV.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"note saying that you cannot use chains"

Photo, then in chain happy California you might be sitting a while.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a set of chains for my dually rear and toyhauler axle. I will never use them, I'll just camp out. I have them for "Show and Tell", i.e. required to carry chains!!
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!