cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Truck for my Mammoth

brinson
Explorer
Explorer

Well, since my F350 had 4 feet of water in it I went and found a 2015 F450 with 7000 miles on it. If I only had a house......
23 REPLIES 23

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
brinson wrote:
NRALIFR, what is the advantage of installing upper stableloads vs lower stableloads. Just trying to figure out what this truck will need.

Your F450 has both an upper and a lower overload spring. Take a look at this page on Torklift's site for a good explanation of your rear suspension.

Upper Stableloads replace the thin contact pad that your upper overload spring engages after the truck squats approx 2-3". The Stableload pads are very thick, and cause the overload spring to be engaged almost immediately, so the truck doesn't squat as much with a heavy load.

Lower Stableloads do the same thing for the lower overload spring; bringing it into play sooner so you can take advantage of its load-carrying capacity without squatting as much.

One advantage of the uppers vs lowers (so I've heard, anyway) is that the lowers can be noisy on rough roads. I've never had the lowers though so maybe someone who does can comment on that. The uppers are probably easier to install on most trucks. Some trucks require drilling to install the lower Stableloads.

:):)

I have both, no noise from the lowers that I've noticed.

Worth noting - the lower fronts fit in the plastic rub patch hole. The rear required drilling the spring. OMG... What an ABSOLUTE beyotch that was! I lost count how many drill bits I went through. I started with 1/8" and worked my way up 1/16th at a time till I got the size needed.

I ran out of beer during that particular project.... It was a sad day.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Well that's just silly... Why would anyone buy an F450 just to haul a camper around...?

:B
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
brinson wrote:
NRALIFR, what is the advantage of installing upper stableloads vs lower stableloads. Just trying to figure out what this truck will need.

I will chime in on Upper stable loads install. I had a little more squat that I liked with TC loaded. Little over 4,000 lbs. wet. The upper stable loads noticeably helped with my trucks squat.

Before:

After:

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
brinson wrote:

Your F450 has both an upper and a lower overload spring. Take a look at this page on Torklift's site for a good explanation of your rear suspension.

Upper Stableloads replace the thin contact pad that your upper overload spring engages after the truck squats approx 2-3". The Stableload pads are very thick, and cause the overload spring to be engaged almost immediately, so the truck doesn't squat as much with a heavy load.

Lower Stableloads do the same thing for the lower overload spring; bringing it into play sooner so you can take advantage of its load-carrying capacity without squatting as much.

One advantage of the uppers vs lowers (so I've heard, anyway) is that the lowers can be noisy on rough roads. I've never had the lowers though so maybe someone who does can comment on that. The uppers are probably easier to install on most trucks. Some trucks require drilling to install the lower Stableloads.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

brinson
Explorer
Explorer

ggoat___
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work truck!

Finished in "delivery-truck white" no less.

Congrats!

2006 Airstream 19ft International Bambi 75th Anniversary Custom Prototype Handbuilt by David Winick

2006 Chevrolet SSR LS2 400+hp V8 6spd Manual Final Production Run 1-of-7 Convertible Pickup

1997 Scamp 13ft Deluxe ... 2480lbs(!!!) of Solid Oak and HEFT!!

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
I love your truck, good luck with it.

I'm glad you made it okay with the storm
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

brinson
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Best of luck recovering from the storm. Glad you have the Host to fall back on.

You'll love the F450. The only suspension mod I put on mine is upper Stableloads.

Rangerman40 wrote:
What's the payload capacity on that bad boy? 14k GVWR or 16500?

All of the 2015+ F450 pickups are 14K GVWR. 16500 is for a cab and chassis.

onekg wrote:
I need to find one of those. I have been looking for about 6 weeks and they want as much as a new one costs or they 50K miles on them. I'm jealous!

Look in Texas. You'll get a better deal on a truck in the south.

They are available in Texas and Louisiana. I paid 55k for mine with 7100 miles. I could have bought a new Lariat for 72k.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Best of luck recovering from the storm. Glad you have the Host to fall back on.

You'll love the F450. The only suspension mod I put on mine is upper Stableloads.

Rangerman40 wrote:

All of the 2015+ F450 pickups are 14K GVWR. 16500 is for a cab and chassis.

onekg wrote:
I need to find one of those. I have been looking for about 6 weeks and they want as much as a new one costs or they 50K miles on them. I'm jealous!

Look in Texas. You'll get a better deal on a truck in the south.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Glad your OK! Nice truck!
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

onekg
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Ford F-350 DRW KR
2015 Lifestyle

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerman40 wrote:

(In best Dr. Evil voice)
One miiiiilion pounds...
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
That was a close call. Good you have flood insurance. You will likely be out of pocket some bucks but its is better than the SBA loan I had to get.
Y'all take care of yourselves. Be careful with the repairs.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive