cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How fast do you drive your Class A?

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious what others have found to be the magic point between rig capability, speed, and fuel efficiency. I'm not talking about when you are sauntering along just enjoying the scenery, but rather when you just want to Get There. My last class A was an underpowered DP that could barely get up to 65 on the interstate. I haven't pushed my current (gas) rig because I haven't had all the mechanical issues fixed, but it did 65 on the state highway and didn't seem to be straining. Haven't had it long enough to see what the mileage is like.

If you feel like sharing how you selected your preferred cruising speed, that would be great too.
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'
79 REPLIES 79

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
You can drive up to 7 MPH over the speed limit in most states before you get a ticket. I have driven 5 over for the last 20 years. I do 80 across Mt, Wy, Ne, Tx, Ok, Ks and Eastern Co. It's mine, I'll drive mine you drive your's.

Passin Thru, I think you have been lucky. Even though you 'might' be able to drive over the speed limit, it puts you at risk for a stop. I find that stressful as I find myself constantly looking for a police car.

Driving the speed limit is relaxing as I have nothing to worry about except the crazy drivers! LOL!

Here in TN, they have started using Ford Escape speed catchers. The cars are unmanned and will snap a picture of you and send it to the license plate address. I'm not sure how much 'over' it allows but I can say it's not the spread that you have been driving.

People have complained about it calling it a 'speed trap' but if you don't speed, you don't have a problem.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
55 mph. Is this ok?
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

et2
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^^^ :B

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
You can drive up to 7 MPH over the speed limit in most states before you get a ticket. I have driven 5 over for the last 20 years. I do 80 across Mt, Wy, Ne, Tx, Ok, Ks and Eastern Co. It's mine, I'll drive mine you drive your's.

hahaah -you crack me up! Here is a your quote from the thread on "what would you have done":

Passin Thru wrote:
GOOD for the Trooper. I tell my wife all the time to move over and she won't. You deserve a ticket for following too close, you should have been far enough back to be aware of whats going on and you should have been able to slow down. I hate the old BS, "I couldn't see". Drove truck 4 million safe miles since 1966.

Sounds a bit hypocritical to me. I guess you just pick and chose the laws you think are important and blow off the rest.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
RandACampin wrote:
Look at the speed limit signs. Anything from zero to that is ok. After that it's criminal activity.

"Criminal activity" eh? Care to cite that in the CRIMINAL code?

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen 75 at times if conditions are good - more often 70 - in congested highways 60-65. Weather, trucks, road, mood all play a role.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

doublev
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on conditions. Bumpy rosdโ€”slower. Very windyโ€”slower. In ideal interstate conditions I like to go speed limit + 5-10mph to keep up with traffic. Off interstate โ€” speed limit. Iโ€™d like to go slowerr and enjoy but I know the feeling driving a car behind a slow MH.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The cruise control on my Dutch Star/Spartan will allow the speed to drop 2 MPH, THEN it will command more power in order to bring it up to 67 mph(my selected cruise speed). For me this is a safety feature which can help me in event of a front tire blowout, BUT ONLY if I keep my feet OFF the pedals, AND only if I instantly give it heck with the steering wheel in order counter the detrimental lateral frictional force that's initiated by the blown tire.
IMO it should go like this: all within the first 2 to 3 seconds, blowout/immediate steering wheel action and NO action with my feet,....on about the 4th second later the cruise control adds power and speeds up to 67 mph while I'm staying in control keeping it in my lane. I already also know the proper steps for slowing it down, so I catch my breath and execute the proper slow-down drill.
If I wasn't confident that I can do this, I would quit driving my big rig.
I train and train and train for ONLY the two most important initial steps: firm and immediate/PROPER steering wheel STEERING, AND NOTHING with my feet!
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide.. I can fall to 50 and it will stay in 6th. I can keep it there if I don't push too hard.

Once it downshifts, it will shift to 6th at exactly at 55 mph.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
The "sweet spot " idea is over rated in my opinion. I understand "torque curve" but I don't think it's necessary for the motor to be developing maximum torque just cruising down the road. It makes more sense for racing or pulling tough grades. And I doubt best MPG will be obtained at an RPM high enough for max torque but rather at lowest RPM possible without causing downshift. You could cruise along at 65 and convince yourself that's the sweet spot but slow down to 55 or 60 and it will cruise along just as well. Since I'm not an expert I would like to hear from some automotive engineers on this topic.
Jayco-noslide

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
55 in California, in the real world 60-63. Going up grades whatever she wants to do. I'm always towing. Over the past 88,000 miles I've averaged 7.3 mpg.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:
wind resistance against the big box we are driving will affect the mpg to the greatest degree. I drive about 65 most of the time and on a windy day where I have head on wind or a cornering wind I drop down a bit to save fuel.

Me too! Dang headwinds are about the worst for MPGs.....

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
60 MPH +/- 2 MPH. I usually blend in with smooth truck drivers.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner