cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dryer sheets

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
What brand of dryer sheets do you put in drawers to deter mice from entering your trailer?
32 REPLIES 32

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
To date we have never had a mouse. We put bait blocks in the plastic containers by the rear tires and front of the trailer. We normally set a small portion of a 6x6 on top so dogs, cats, etc. can't take it as a chew toy. We keep the bait blocks out all year round, while the trailer is parked and have never had an issue. From time to time we do have to replenish the bait, but have yet to see a mouse anywhere, dead or alive.

Graycat
Explorer
Explorer
We've never done anything and have never had a mouse. Now that we have an RV garage, we probably will have one.
Marti, Lee, and an old gray cat

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
I have camped in various travel trailers and a 5er since about 1990. I have always parked them next to the woods near the house. Never had a mouse. My parents had two motor homes which was parted closer to their house than the woods and seemed to battle them every winter, even to the point of mice chewing thru wiring. They finally tried some electronic sonic rodent repelers. Something like that. It fixed their problem. Of course, they where plugged into 120 year round.
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
1) Seal all potential entry points
2) Make sure there is no brush or other growth under or around the trailer. In other words no place for them to hide from predators when looking for a new home.

We've been parking trailers next to our garage for nearly 25 years. The garage gets mice all the time. The trailers have never had mice.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
As you can tell, dryer sheets, peppermint oil and all the various elixirs have margin results.

At our house in the country, unscented sheets did nothing, scented sheets worked one year, my DW does not like moth balls so they were out. One year we did absolutely nothing and had no mice. It is really the luck of the draw so to speak.

Living in the country we learned a long time ago, that mice can walk through walls. ๐Ÿ™‚
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
A mouse only needs an opening the size of a dime to get in. Good luck finding all of those! While camping at Squaw Leap many moons ago (yes, bad taste, and the name offends the Native Americans who live there), we were invited to check out their food storage areas and the traditional sleeping quarters. Both were lined with the local version of bay leaves to keep out the rodents and bugs. They said that it is very effective. Not such a bad smell either.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
So far, we have not had mice in a camper. All entry points are sealed and periodically checked. Only the tires and tongue jack touch the ground. All food is removed, floors and counters cleaned after every trip. Also throw a couple of TomCat blocks in the underbelly twice a year.
I've also heard that Irish Spring soap works. We use it, so that might be a factor.
Now, ants, is a whole nother thing. Always have a supply of Terro baits spread out.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
Rubber Ducky1 wrote:
Since most of you are saying NO to dryer sheets, I guess that I will get 3 or 4 bottles of fox urine and leave them open in my trailer ALL winter. That should keep the mice away!! :S

Of course I'm joking about using fox urine. I have heard that some use dryer sheets and others use moth balls to deter mice from entering their camper. You can try and seal up ALL the openings but it doesn't much of an opening for mice to find their way in. My original post was to get suggestions on what works for most.

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
Since most of you are saying NO to dryer sheets, I guess that I will get 3 or 4 bottles of fox urine and leave them open in my trailer ALL winter. That should keep the mice away!! :S

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
Using dryer sheets to deter mice is a joke. If mice could laugh, they'd be laughing. They only method that's ever worked is sealing up the spaces that are allowing them to get in in the first place.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
LOL...my youngest bil uses dryer sheets by the boxes and swears he doesn't have mice. However his wife says they didn't have mice to begin with.
I tried Bounce sheets many years ago in a '84 5th wheel trailer. I found three mouse nests made of Bounce dryer sheets.
Since then I mouse proof my rv's by eliminating holes/cracks with aluminum roofing and expanding foam where needed. I also use TomKat bait blocks in the trailer shed
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Addy15 wrote:
mike-s wrote:
Addy15 wrote:
Well, contrary to the general opinion in this thread so far, we do use regular Bounce in our trailer before putting it into winter storage, and we have never had a mouse enter our trailer.
Works the same to keep unicorns out too. Bet you've never had one of those, either.

Wow. You are funny...not.
I'm not the one who's logically challenged, and confusing correlation with causality.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
LAJMINNIEPLUS wrote:
How do you seal the area where your slide enters/exits the inner bottom?
Store with the slide IN.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Well....I've stored a car for the past 12 winters and my trailer for one.

I, too, empty a box of dryer sheets and moth balls...liberally spread everywhere.

I've had no issues....and it smells GREAT in the spring!:)