cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weekend at a "dry" campground

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
What a difference it makes staying at a "dry" campground.

P J Hoffmasters park in Muskegon, big NO ALCOHOL signs everywhere, I was kind of impressed. I didn't notice them when I stayed a few years back. They also had Michigan's new for '18 NO FIREWOOD ALLOWED signs up at the entrance, and an armed DNR police checking vehicles and warning people for next year. Hopefully concertina wire and K-9 units will be the next upgrade.

There were still many nightly campfires, but the campers, rather than sit around the fires drinking and whooping it up all night instead went for walks, and mostly went to bed or at least inside a few hours after dark.

It was eerily quiet despite being a sold out campground.

Are dry campgrounds something new, something old, or just something odd?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
23 REPLIES 23

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
If there are drunks causing issues, then the campground should throw them out (most, if not all, campgrounds have rules that could be used to do just that), without infringing on responsible drinkers. What's next, not allowing RVs that are older than 10years...oh wait...:D
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably propane firepits are not prohibited anywhere yet(?)

We use one of these on our RV trips - they put out lots of heat to snuggle up to and you can roast hotdogs and smores on them ... just like with wood fires: https://www.amazon.com/Outland-Firebowl-Mega-Propane-Fire/dp/B00FWKVGQ0/ref=lp_9001138011_1_18?s=law...
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
I'd have more issues with the no campfires policy (if that is the policy) than the no alcohol. To me, a campfire is a vital part of the camping experience.

You would have a problem with most of the northwest. Fire bans (even charcoal grills) cover many of the campgrounds. They have good reasons; you can see smoke in the air in most of Oregon!

It makes sense to have fire bans during times of drought and high fire danger. Not sure anyone would argue against that.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
All the MA state parks are supposedly booze free, doesn't stop anyone of course.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
I'd have more issues with the no campfires policy (if that is the policy) than the no alcohol. To me, a campfire is a vital part of the camping experience.

You would have a problem with most of the northwest. Fire bans (even charcoal grills) cover many of the campgrounds. They have good reasons; you can see smoke in the air in most of Oregon!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Off the top of my head. Sorry, math comes easy to me... ๐Ÿ™‚

Just pointing out that many of these regulations aren't about eliminating the problem, but rather trying to minimize it to a treatable level.

Just having fun on this Monday morning... :B

Agree that this is a rule that is in place KNOWING that some will bend, or break them...

I figured that. I get it a lot when I spout numbers off the top of my head. ๐Ÿ™‚
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes wrote:

Just pointing out that many of these regulations aren't about eliminating the problem, but rather trying to minimize it to a treatable level.

Just having fun on this Monday morning... :B

Agree that this is a rule that is in place KNOWING that some will bend, or break them...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
From Great Smoky Mountain NP website (similar restrictions found on many public lands here in the southeast)

"Firewood Regulations: Only heat-treated firewood that is bundled and certified by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) or a state department of agriculture may be brought into the park."

Note: There is a difference between 'heat treated' and 'kiln dried'.

I don't have a problem with this given the effect the Emerald Ashe Borer and Woolly Adelgid have had on our Ashe and Hemlock forests. These restrictions along with the increased cost of legitimate firewood led us to purchase a propane campfire although I still prefer real wood when possible.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II

toedtoes wrote:
I think with the firewood ban, it's more an "if we can keep the majority from doing it, we've decreased the risk significantly".

If the campground has 50 sites and those are filled with 50 different guests per season, then there are 2500 opportunities for buggy wood to be introduced.

With the firewood ban, 3/5 of those will get wood at the campground, 7/20 will get it nearby, and only about 1/20 will bring it in from elsewhere. That reduces the risk from all 2500 guests to only about 100 guests.

And if the majority of those 100 guests pays more attention to their wood source, then it could reduce it even more.

WAY TOO MUCH MATH for a Monday Morning ! !

Did you whip up those estimates up off the top of your head? Or is it something you have been watching?
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think with the firewood ban, it's more an "if we can keep the majority from doing it, we've decreased the risk significantly".

If the campground has 50 sites and those are filled with 50 different guests per season, then there are 2500 opportunities for buggy wood to be introduced.

With the firewood ban, 3/5 of those will get wood at the campground, 7/20 will get it nearby, and only about 1/20 will bring it in from elsewhere. That reduces the risk from all 2500 guests to only about 100 guests.

And if the majority of those 100 guests pays more attention to their wood source, then it could reduce it even more.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
For years, the state parks in Connecticut were "dry", no alcohol. As other have stated about some campgrounds, the Rangers were very discretionary about it - using that rule to kick out jerk campers. It was great!

They've started officially allowing alcohol the last few year, and again as someone else posted, it will probably be banned again due to jerk campers.

Firewood bans are odd to me... seem to be random. In New England, most of the firewood bans refer to out-of-state firewood - as long as the firewood comes from nearby the campground (like nearby roadside stands), it is okay. Have these firewood bans actually helped or prevented anything?

We were camping last year near Lexington, Massachusetts. The campground was selling bundles of firewood, as Mass has the no outside wood ban. Okay, great. We go to the camp office to get a couple bundles, and I happen to notice that the bundles are from.... New Hampshire!

Yea, yea, I read that they were supposedly "insect free", but it made me laugh.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I daughter's family camped at a private campground that happened to be owned and operated by a church organization. It was NOT a "church" campground. No on site services or prayer meetings.

Rules did say no guns or alcohol and bathing attire should be "modest", but that was it. They had a great time and looking forward to returning.

X2
I was in a pinch looking for a CG near my storage unit when I sold my house to go full-time.

I found one that said it was christian owned. Didn't have a clue what all that meant but signed up for a month.

Gotta admit it was THE nicest CG I a have ever stayed at. VERY friendly campers, WELL BEHAVED kids, wonderful owners. And night time was the quietist I have ever experienced. Whenever I go back up North I make a point of staying there. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I daughter's family camped at a private campground that happened to be owned and operated by a church organization. It was NOT a "church" campground. No on site services or prayer meetings.

Rules did say no guns or alcohol and bathing attire should be "modest", but that was it. They had a great time and looking forward to returning.