cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Plumbing

Bluedog
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the unpleasant experience of the shower drain connection breaking at the P trap joint which I found out is not uncommon due to stress.
However, what idiot would install a P trap that is not removable on both ends, especially in a location where you only have a few inches to work. It has the removable end at the shower drain and is hard piped at the other end.

Just venting my frustration as it goes back to the manufacturer's old saying "We engineer for installation and not repair"
12 REPLIES 12

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I broke an ABS plastic elbow connecting the sink to an 8 foot run in the floor. Too long for an elbow with no bendability. I replaced it with a rubber elbow from the local hardware store.. Easier to install and works perfectly.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Sorry to burst your bubble but all glue traps are routinely/always used on showers.
It's easy enough to cut the pipe and reinstall a new drain and trap if necessary.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bigg_Al
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Bluedog wrote:
Sorry if I offended anyone which is easy nowadays.

Ain't that the truth? :B

Amen.
Tow Vehicle:
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 DRW Laramie Crew Cab
6.7 Cummins Diesel

Race Car:
Pro Mod 1969 Chevelle
Jerry Bickel Chassis
525ci BAE Hemi Twin Turbocharged
3 Speed Lenco Transmission
Best E.T. 5.62 seconds at 265 mph

Take me to your Golf Course!!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Bluedog wrote:

Ain't that the truth? :B

Bluedog
Explorer
Explorer
The "idiot" I refer to is the manufacturer that tells the installer what to use.

A house may have both ends glued but it is both accessible and not twisting and turning in a trailer frame.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drains are one thing, pressurized supply another. Forest River, specifically Rockwood, has a bad habit of taking pex fittings and crimping per to one end, then attaching pvc tubing on the other with a hose clamp. No concerns on their part that a pex fitting is not a barbed fitting that everyone but the RV Industry uses for flexible pic tubing. Leaks you say?

I also have the fine Amish crafted goobered and boogered glued joints on drain traps.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Shower floors often are supported poorly and the plumbing takes a load when you step in. The genius that installed mine apparently used a chain saw to open the floor. When repairing the plumbing, make sure that the shower floor has proper support, or you will be doing it again.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bluedog wrote:
However, what idiot would install a P trap that is not removable on both ends ...

Why would you label the person who installed the P trap an "idiot" when all he (or she) is doing is installing a part as they've been instructed to do, just as any assembly line worker would do? So easy to cast dispersions when that person isn't you. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with an occasional slow leak. With no way to fix it I put one of those large foil pans used for cooking turkeys under the P trap. I replace the solid access cover with a vented grill.
The leak is so slow I never emptied the pan, it evaporates.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you crawled under your Sticks and brims house likely you would find the same, or glued on both ends.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Hey....I only get $1.00 per 'P' trap install. I just wish I could glue both ends on. Aligning,screwing that ONE end is time consuming......I could increase my installs by a third per shift if I could just glue/slap it in place and GO!"
"As it is I only made $100 today by 2PM"
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We just had the same break fixed at our dealers. They had to order parts since some of the piping is glued together.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)