cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing level indicators.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer only has the side to side level indicator. It does not have the back to front level indicator. How hard is it to install one? Why would it only come with the one?
20 REPLIES 20

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
In a pinch If you have a smart phone there is a level with the compass. When you open the compass slide left and theres a level..
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Just an FYI, if you do use the stick on level indicators, make sure you screw them down too if heading down south. The southern sun and heat caused ours to eventually move a little, and they are no longer accurate. I'm sure that a screw would keep them more in place. We just use a three foot level on the floor.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Level the stove. It's the only thing that needs to be level if you want the cook to be happy.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Agree! Most RV don't come with levels. To have one already is quite unique.

Where is level on an RV? Do you level by a shelf in the refrigerator, from the floor, from the walls, ceiling, stove top, inside of oven, counter top, tongue, frame. Every spot will give a different "level" point. You have to figure out what needs to be level and get the camper set there first, THEN add the leveler.

Modern RV refrigerators have a bit of tolerance built into them. You can be off some and they still work fine. So, what was most important to have "level" for us? Personally, I HATE having doors swing and cabinet doors swinging. When I open a door or a cabinet door, I want it to stay right there, and not swing open or closed, or move at all.

I found, the best place to level is the outside door frame. The door frame works great as it's square to the entire build of the camper, frame, floor, ceiling, cabinets, everything!

By turning a simple carpenter's to level side to side, and then front to back, I could get everything else level, including the refrigerator, counter tops, stove, and all the cabinet doors. Nothing swings open or closed, eggs don't slide off the skillet, and the water in the toilet bowel is level.

I use the same one on my 5th wheel. Once setup it's great.
If I could use the Andersen Levelers it would be even easier.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
drsteve wrote:
I use one of these:

I had one of those and lost it a couple of years ago. Must have left it on the frame underneath.

Mine has a magnet the length of the edge. It has ridden hundreds of miles stuck to the A frame on more than one occasion...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

WA4HTZ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the answer, Sound Guy. Guess I'll go get that big guy because what I have now is no use from the driver's seat.

Ken
Ken and Jeannette
2015 FunFinder 266KIRB - Traded in
2006 Ford F-250 "Super" Cab Long Bed - Traded in

2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
I use the iHandy Level App on my iPhone.
It's simple and accurate. No cell service required.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
WA4HTZ wrote:
Sound Guy, how big was the Level Master you used? I was in an RV parts place today and they had a Level Master which proclaimed it was a 5th wheel level kit. The thing was huge! Must have been 8 or 10 inches wide. I think the guy in front of me on the road could have read it in his rear view mirror.:B

Yeah, 11" wide. The idea is you can see it from the driver's seat. 6" or 7" would be good if you're standing in front of it but I haven't found any that size so other than this Level Master they're all too small for me.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

WA4HTZ
Explorer
Explorer
Sound Guy, how big was the Level Master you used? I was in an RV parts place today and they had a Level Master which proclaimed it was a 5th wheel level kit. The thing was huge! Must have been 8 or 10 inches wide. I think the guy in front of me on the road could have read it in his rear view mirror.:B

Ken
Ken and Jeannette
2015 FunFinder 266KIRB - Traded in
2006 Ford F-250 "Super" Cab Long Bed - Traded in

2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
I use one of these:

I had one of those and lost it a couple of years ago. Must have left it on the frame underneath. It was fluorescent orange to make it more visible too, pffft. Replaced it with a yellow one and haven't lost that one. Color apparently matters.

My DW bought me a couple of those big Hopkins levels for Xmas a few years back. I was like "wow sweetheart, these things are great and always wanted them!!" They're still in the drawer beside my side of the bed... I'll probably install them one of these days when I run out of other more challenging/interesting/fun mods.

Used to have a bubble level on the top of a tongue jack on a previous TT. Worked just fine as I recall. Trailers don't have to be accurately level, esp. for fridges nowadays which can be somewhat out of level and still work properly.

Our bedroom door had an annoying habit of swinging open a lot if we weren't level or angled a tiny bit in the wrong direction. Cured that by installing a magnetic door stop.

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
Jim2007 wrote:
I agree with dutchmansport. My 5th wheel does not have level indicators. I have been doing this for over 10 years and it works for me.?..Jim2007

X2

Travelon
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with dutchmansport. My 5th wheel does not have level indicators. I have been doing this for over 10 years and it works for me.?..Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Agree! Most RV don't come with levels. To have one already is quite unique.

Where is level on an RV? Do you level by a shelf in the refrigerator, from the floor, from the walls, ceiling, stove top, inside of oven, counter top, tongue, frame. Every spot will give a different "level" point. You have to figure out what needs to be level and get the camper set there first, THEN add the leveler.

Modern RV refrigerators have a bit of tolerance built into them. You can be off some and they still work fine. So, what was most important to have "level" for us? Personally, I HATE having doors swing and cabinet doors swinging. When I open a door or a cabinet door, I want it to stay right there, and not swing open or closed, or move at all.

I found, the best place to level is the outside door frame. The door frame works great as it's square to the entire build of the camper, frame, floor, ceiling, cabinets, everything!

By turning a simple carpenter's to level side to side, and then front to back, I could get everything else level, including the refrigerator, counter tops, stove, and all the cabinet doors. Nothing swings open or closed, eggs don't slide off the skillet, and the water in the toilet bowel is level.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
My trailer only has the side to side level indicator. It does not have the back to front level indicator. How hard is it to install one? Why would it only come with the one?

Lynnmor wrote:
Usually they have none.

Level the trailer side to side using spacers under the tires and front to back using the tongue jack. Use a large level on the frame, checking in multiple places and get the best average. Do not use the stabilizer jacks. When it is perfectly level, install the levels with screws or a good VHB tape, do not use the foam junk. I install two levels on opposite corners so I can see any twist.

I spent a bit more and installed this oversize level which includes both side-to-side and front-to-back, securing it to the trailer's front wall with LePages No More Nails super sticky tape ... in 4 yrs hasn't budged in the slightest. Installed high enough and the bubble can easily be seen from the TV's driver's seat. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380