cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel issues in Georgia

WildfireB7
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw on GMA Georgia gasoline tainted by rainwater from Irma. Does anybody have any local knowledge. We leave for Georgia Oct 1.
17 REPLIES 17

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Gasoline doesn't mix with water. Water floats on gasoline. Water is also easily detected in an underground tank. Your chances of getting water are pretty remote from any brand name operation. And if you did, it would be all water not mixed.

Wrong. Gasoline floats on water.

If the tank output is on the bottom (which I doubt) it could get water to the pumps. But if it's being aggressively checked, I wouldn't worry too much.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

WildfireB7
Explorer
Explorer
Wow thanks for the responses. Looks like we are headed south in a few weeks. Thanks again

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Specs allow so many inches of water in the tank. It varies by state. When that spec is exceeded the bottom is pumped out and no problems are encountered.

Correct! And that spec is lower than the pickup pipe.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Specs allow so many inches of water in the tank. It varies by state. When that spec is exceeded the bottom is pumped out and no problems are encountered.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Gasoline doesn't mix with water. Water floats on gasoline. Water is also easily detected in an underground tank. Your chances of getting water are pretty remote from any brand name operation. And if you did, it would be all water not mixed.

Oh boy. :R

#1. Water is heaver than gasoline, so it sinks.

#2. Gasoline now days has up to 10% alkie in it. The alkie will make the water mix with the gasoline. That's why in the old days if you had water in your gas you would buy a bottle of heat and pour it in the tank and all your water troubles would go away.

OP if there is any great amount of water in any gas station it would get pumped into the cars and you would have a line of cars conked out a block away from the station. I think you would know if this happened.

Enjoy your vacation! ๐Ÿ™‚
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
If any water is in the tank, it will be pumped out long before you get there.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:

All very true. But if I ever see a tanker unloading at a fuel station, I pass it by as any water that is in the underground tank will be mixed up for a time. Why take chances?
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most states have rules which specify a level of water when they test the tanks. NOW The number I will give are "Out of thin air" not out of regulations.
But say for a specific size tank,, the State may allow say six inches of water in the bottom of the tank.

AMOCO back before they sold out to British Petrolum (BP) only allowed 3.. I have no info on the rules for other companies. (My source sold Amoco).

One station (NOT AMOCO) in Battle Creek MI was caught topping off his underground tanks with a garden hose.

ONE of the Advantages of modern E-10 Gasoline is alcohol will take the water out of the tank so as time passes even if there IS water in the underground tank, it will go away.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:

Actually gas is lighter, so it floats on water. The water will be in the bottom of the tank.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Teh Google reveals that 20 stations across the state were found to have water in some of their tanks. There has been one complaint of tainted fuel from the public.

State inspectors are on top of the problem. Sure sounds like a non issue to me.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
I don't consider GMA as a credible news source. I don't go to TWC for weather either.

All are "Fake News", huh. I prefer to listen to the radio and avoid TV. :h

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
I don't consider GMA as a credible news source. I don't go to TWC for weather either.

X2!!
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox