cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ballpark cost to rebuild engin/tranny; Roadtrek 190 popular

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. I'm sure there are a million variables, but I'm looking for an average price to pay a shop (not a DIY) to rebuild 5.7L V8 and tranny in a Roadtrek 190 Popular, Chevy 3,500 chassis, say year built from about 1998 to 2005.

I don't know if one would buy a rebuilt motor and transmission and swap them out, or have the existing ones rebuilt. The engine and transmission in the used 190 that I'd buy would run ok, (not blow up or missing) but I just would not trust it for my intended use.

The use would be as a second RV to be shipped to and left in Europe for 3-5 years. It would be climbing many mountains, etc. I am aware of the modifications required to make is suitable for European electrical and mechanical standards. Also, I have considered buying something over there, but have elected not to do go this route.

I like the 190 due to it's larger payload, as I'd want to add solar, a generator and upsize the LP storage.

Thanks
2011 F350 6.7L, 4WD, DRW, 8' bed, Reese Elite 25K
2011 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5, MOR/ryde IS, 8K disc brakes, 17.5" wheels/G114s
Solar: 960 watts, 3,000 hybrid inverter, 830 AH bank, 2 controllers
IT: weboost 4G-X, WiFi Ranger Elite Pack
6 REPLIES 6

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
A small class C would cost a bundle less than the roadtrek.

It's the sizing for Europe roads. Wider than 7.25' is a real issue over there, especially if one wants to visit the smaller villages. Narrower is better. I think the Sprinters are only 6'8" wide. The mid size "class C"s in Europe, called semi-integrated, are about 7'3" wide max (like the Hymer 522s). That's about as wide as I'll go and no longer than 22, with 20 being better. Less is more over there.

My goal is to get a Mercedes or VW basis so it could be worked on anywhere in the world, as I might also drive this one down as far as I can get in South America. But I'm not sure I'll find a Mercedes in my budget of around $30-40 all in, including solar, generator and a few toys.

I've been reading about the Winnebago Rialta on the VW basis, which seems interesting.

sodajerk
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 73 Superior Coach wide body van, Chevy 350 (5.7). The whole body is 18 inches wider, bumper to bumper. A pretty rare van. In 2012 the engine died. I wanted to get away from the quadrajet that I could not keep adjusted. I bot a 91 van $800. Had engine rebuilt $1100 and trany $1200. Swapped out the wires and computer and installed engine & tranny myself. Swapped out other stuff like steering wheel. Now I have fuel injection, overdrive tranny, tilt wheel, variable speed wipers and such. Went from 8-9 mpg with carb to 11-12 mpg with fuel injection. Now have 30,000 miles on the new engine. I am a happy camper. Hope that gives you some help with cost.
Happy Camping
Jim & Jo Ann
1973 Wide Body Superior Class B on a Chevy 1 Ton Van. 350 Fuel Injection
"Oldie but goodie"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
A small class C would cost a bundle less than the roadtrek.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

outwestbound
Explorer
Explorer
deleted

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Generally it is only economically viable to rebuild an existing engine if there is a specific problem, such as one or two cylinders with damaged pistons. If instead you are talking about preventive engine and transmission replacement, I suspect you will be looking at the $12,000+ ballpark. It would probably be a lot easier and cheaper to find a low mileage coach with detailed maintenance records and you would likely get something with comparable reliability.