Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eastern Ontario, Canada, to LRGV in January

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions?

It's our first time snowbirding so no experience to rely on.

Thanks,

Tim & Jo
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT
14 REPLIES 14

Lorne_Lorraine
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at the KOA several times. Drove downtown with our small Class B once and took the bus at the stop right across the street from the KOA a bunch of times. Was only $1 to ride each way.
Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Travelers World is a great location. Also play a round of golf at Riverside Golf Course that is next door to Travelers World. Or rent or ride your own bike along the Mission Reach trail on the San Antonio River. Have a safe trip!

BobnCath
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info everyone!

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
My route:
Cross at the Thousand Islands Bridge and take I-81 South
I-81 ends in Tennessee at I-40. Take that West to I-75 South.
Near Chattanooga, TN change to I-59 South.
When I-59 crosses I-20, Take I-20 West
In East Texas take State Rd 43 South to Henderson.
In Henderson change to US 79.

Go Thru Palestine and follow the rest of Padredw's directions
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Travelers World. Take the bus to the river walk.

This is also where we have stayed for visits to San Antonio, though we did not take the bus. We drove downtown and parked in a lot, but I hear the bus is convenient. Mexican restaurant across the highway.

In case you might want to visit the Texas Hill Country (Fredericksburg, Kerrville, etc) there is a big RV park out north of San Antonio at Boerne (pronounced BURNey). I believe it is "Alamo RV."

Since you are staying in San Antonio you can probably drive right on down to the Valley, but we often bypass San Antonio and stay at the Choke Canyon State Park (Callaham Unit)--lots of wildlife and on a lake.

Explorer II
Explorer II
BobnCath wrote:
Thanks!
I figured 21 would be OK but didn't think about I-35.
We would like to see the river walk and that area of San Antonio.
I'm thinking the KOA would be logical.
Any opinions on parks in or close to San Antonio?

BobH
Travelers World. Take the bus to the river walk.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

BobnCath
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!
I figured 21 would be OK but didn't think about I-35.
We would like to see the river walk and that area of San Antonio.
I'm thinking the KOA would be logical.
Any opinions on parks in or close to San Antonio?

BobH

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Here is one good possibility:

Take the route above following US 77 from Rockdale, but at the intersection of 77 and TX 21 take TX 21 through Bastrop to San Marcos where you pick up I-35 into San Antonio. I certainly advise avoiding Austin.

The alternative to TX 21 would be to follow 77 all the way down to I 10, but TX 21 would be my choice. There is a nice state park at Bastrop, strangely named "Bastrop State Park" ๐Ÿ˜‰

BobnCath
Explorer
Explorer
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but we are also going down to that area(Mission,TX)
in Jan/18, but want to spend a couple days in San Antonio.
I followed padredw's route but as we're going to San Antonio, what would be a good route
to bypass Austin?
Pulling a 35" fifth wheel.

Thanks
BobH

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for all the responses.
I'll likely have more questions as I digest the info submitted so far.

Tim & Jo

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
OK, I will make come comments about a possible route for the last 650 miles of your trip to the Valley, assuming that you will come into Texas at Texarkana.

From Texarkana, you could take US 59 to the town of Linden, Texas where you would pick up Texas 155 (As many Texas highways, this is a very good road without much traffic). Stay on TX 155 all the way to Palestine, Texas (where I lived for 13 years).

At Palestine pick up US 79 South all the way to Rockdale, TX. Where you would turn directly south on US 77. You could stay on 77 all the way to Harlingen or, if you are headed to McAllen, you could take Farm to Market (FM) 285 at Rivera over to Falfurrias and then US 281 on down. FM 285 like many Farm to Market roads in Texas is entirely suitable for RV travel.

This route avoids Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston--which, in my opinion, is a good thing. I have towed a 34' fifth-wheel trailer over every mile of this route--a good many times.

There are many options along the way, but I give this as a starting point. Tyler State Park is a wonderful place for overnight--or for a week for that matter. If you wanted to stop there I can give the route for that (In short Big Sandy to Hawkins then FM 14 to the Park.

Another good state park along the general route is Choke Canyon State Park. I won't go into the detail, but an easy adaptation of the route can be made.

Where are you staying in the Valley? I'll be glad to respond to any questions you might have about the route.

We made the 5000 (round trip) trip up to Banff in July/August this year. Several years ago we crossed over from Port Huron to Sarna and camped at 50 Point Conservation Area and met friends from Ontario there.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I won't get into specifics about most of the route, there's too many variables and I don't go that way very often.

In your case though, and especially at that time of year, I'd highly recommend you cross the border at Hill Island and take I-81 quite a way south before you start heading west. This will get you into warmer weather sooner and get you a long way clear of any lake effect snow coming off Lake Ontario and Erie.

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for routing suggestions - cities/highways to avoid, or to aim for.
LRGV is the Lower Rio Grande Valley, the area around Harlingen/Mission Texas.

Tim

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
What information are you looking for and where is LRGV?