cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interior door latch upgrade

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a lot with my Bigfoot TC in Baja where some roads are brutal - dirt, potholes, topes (speed bumps), etc etc. For years I've been frustrated by interior doors (and fridge doors) flying open while driving. My current latches are pics below (factory-installed) - they are woefully inadequate.

Does anyone here know where I can get upgraded door latches that will not fail no matter what? I'm guessing it might only be available as a sailboat hardware part. Anyone done this or can recommend something? Thx, Rob

11 REPLIES 11

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
I had those RV latches on the motorhome and they still would come open occasionally, but worse than that they broke frequently. I have these in my boat (blue water cruising sailboat), haven't had one come open even in rough weather. Made by Southco, I think this is what Northstar is using. There is one version that is a simple pull over center and another more secure one that requires twisting the knob.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
Depending on how much of a project you want to make out of it there are better latching hardware like this concealed push knob lock you could install. This is what Host is using now.

Concealed push knob lock

Thanks! Definitely superior to the latches I have now. However, I've opted to upgrade with the RV Designer H316 latches only because they don't require drilling a hole through the door which I'm afraid I would "screw-up".

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
These work....

Locking door and drawer latches
Your link is for the H315 which requires 5lbs force to open. I opted for the H316 which requires twice the force.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
ab257 wrote:
We put in little brass hook and eyes that you can pick up at Lowe's. This way we know the cabinet doors won't pop open no matter how rough the road.

Did that to my wet bath door that kept opening. Looks cobbly but works.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
We put in little brass hook and eyes that you can pick up at Lowe's. This way we know the cabinet doors won't pop open no matter how rough the road.
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
These work....

Locking door and drawer latches
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II

As Dan posted above, Northstar uses the push button latches. 12,000 miles so far this year over some very rough roads in the Yukon and Alaska and have yet to have an unintended opening.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Sea Dog isn't all that salty, just slightly but they look nice. I'm going to order a couple and see how they do.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be watching this thread. I also have the same issue but not with every door. My fridge door has a positive latch and my drawers have set in detents. Only the cabinet doors have issues and not all the time. Depends on how much rock and roll I do.
2015 Backpack SS1500

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
work2much wrote:
In the past I have just doubled up on the hardware by adding a second similar latch. I have also added magnetic latches in some cases like bath medicine cabinet.

Depending on how much of a project you want to make out of it there are better latching hardware like this concealed push knob lock you could install. This is what Host is using now.

Concealed push knob lock

That's similar to the style Northstar uses in their campers.

Sea Dog makes a marine version that's a little more salty, err expensive. ๐Ÿ™‚
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
In the past I have just doubled up on the hardware by adding a second similar latch. I have also added magnetic latches in some cases like bath medicine cabinet.

Concealed push knob lock

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.