cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

East coast couple looking to wander the west

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
This somewhat follows what Allentc2 was asking but. We have camped extensively, TT's up to 28', TC, and a Class C (also 28') but we always stayed in state parks COE or commercial campgrounds. And all of it was east coast.
We now want to full time for a couple years but are somewhat torn on what to buy. DW has leg issues which make a cab over bed out, so no TC or likely no 5er. We want to be able to reach as many remote areas as possible and are most likely going 3/4 ton and a TT but had considered a Phoenix or BT cruiser type motorhome.
We intend to boondock for periods from a couple weeks to a month or more, (yes we will add solar), and we do plan some summers in AK and Canada. Winters back down to Az or RGV,
Since we have never wandered the BLM lands would we be better served with a TT such as the black rock 24 or with a bt cruiser with a small toad? I know fuel consumption will be similar, I'm looking at flexibility in location selections. Typically are the dispersed camping areas accessable with the class c or is it a trailer / TC proposition?
TIA
12 REPLIES 12

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what size bed you need? But our 25 foot class c has cabover bed (hubby) and i get the full sized in the back.
We have not been towing a car; we will do that this year when we go west/jeep.
Try and get something with as high clearance as you can if boon docking...some units can be lower.
We almost totally free camp on BLM lands while out west for 2 months.
Enjoy...

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
The accommodations might feel a little cramped after a while, but it would be ideal for creature comforts while getting well off the beaten path.
Oliver Travel Trailers

I think you're on the right track with a short in length, and high ground clearance trailer behind a 3/4 ton 4x4.

We are planning on a little longer trailer next time. Set up camp as far out as we can go, then explore a little farther with the truck, or an ATV/scooter/electric bike.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
going with good truck and smaller tag along
I think that gives you alot of options when out and about.
Like others said your tanks and power are more of a concern than what you are driving/towing in reality.

SOUNDS LIKE A WONDERFUL ADVENTURE COMING!! COOL!

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Being an easterner I found the most limiting factor is not knowing the dirt roads. Need to be able to scope them out before you go down them with the camper, many are in poor condition, wash board, pot holes, side berms, and such. If you go the BT route you might want to get a toad that is dirt road compatible. As impractical as I think they are in everyday driving, a small jeep would sure come in handy.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"...is it predominately due to preferences for facilities with more amenities?"

I find the bigger the RV the less likely the owner wants to go boondocking...even though those usually have bigger tanks.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say truck and trailer is the best option.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The smaller the vehicle, the more access you will have to the most primitive areas. If you want to bring your living accommodations with you, a small trailer and a 4 wheel drive truck will afford the deepest penetration into the back country. This assumes that truck campers are off the usable list.

If you just want to pull off the road and park or are looking into the designated BLM camping areas, any rig will meet the grade.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Other than CA, size does not matter out West. Boondocking with little tanks would be a pain. We do three months out West without reservations staying mainly in Public CGs that do not take reservations, but do not show up Friday thinking you will find a site, even with a small rig. FT in a little camper for a couple of years...NOT.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
The Q is accessible to Class C and has dispersed camping as well as long term areas. The town of Quartzite has everything you need to spend some time.
Tonto National forest has dispersed camping that is Class C accessible very easily in many different areas Some on the lake some on 4 wheel trails.
The beaches of Texas and Louisiana are Class C accessible (PM me for spots)
Specially Bolivar peninsula and Galveston Island
So I think the BT would be just fine.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that, we were planning on carrying extra water since nothing in my size range carries enough, black we are trying to keep over 35 gallons and grey hopefully at 70 or more.
What I guess I am asking is if the dirt roads through the majority of these areas are such that a class C or even an A could travel them. When I have google earth viewed many the only campers I see are TC's or vans with a few trailers thrown in. So is it unpassable for most motorhomes due to clearance or is it predominately due to preferences for facilities with more amenities?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Either will do just fine IMO. Class C will work In most areas. I've dropped the trailer a number of times and driven ahead to check out a road or area. Saved my bacon too. Consider US 395 from Ridgecrest, CA to the Canadaian border.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
In my personal experience of the West, there is no "typical" dispersed camp area. forests or deserts, good or bad roads, etc.

Your possible limit to boondocking will be the size of your water and waste tanks. Where I go, sometimes there are zero facilities within miles.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed