cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need new SMALL Propane Grill

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I most often cook on a Charcoal grill. However, next year I will camping at NPs in the west and a number do not allow charcoal grills because of fire hazard (?). Propane grill are OK.

Can you suggest a propane grill that will fit in the basement storage?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
30 REPLIES 30

JT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Q1000; it's well contructed and works pretty efficiently overall, but is less satisfactory at 'grilling' steaks (than chicken or pork cuts). The porcelain-covered grates can be difficult to clean, and the inside of the grill 'box' needs cleaning after each use. (I know that some may not do this, but I don't like the grease buildup.) I use a 14.1 oz. propane canister because the 'fit' is better with this than with a 16.4 oz.

The biggest issue for me is the same as others have mentioned, i.e., if compartment space is limited, the unit can be difficult and awkward to store, primarily due to the rounded lid. I remove the lid, store it in one compartment (with the cotter pins in a little zip lock bag), and store the bottom of the grill in another compartment. This is a bit of a nuisance, but it's doable.

(Note that the Q1200, the Q1000 with fold out 'shelves' and a thermometer in the lid, has a slightly *higher* lid than the 1000.)

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
CADAC safari. Very versatile as well as compact.
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
I've had a Weber Q for 10 years now. It has been great. I love the cast iron grate, it holds heat very well, and gives a good sear. I connect it to my onboard propane, so I've always got plenty of gas.

Cooks great, even heat, not hotspots, or flare ups.

X2, but mine is going on 14 years old. Built like a tank, never wears out.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
If there is a Gander Mountain near you that hasn't closed for good, see if they have of the Camp Chef stoves on close out.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

Harley_Dude
Explorer
Explorer
Napoleon Portable....Dual burnershttps://www.amazon.com/Napoleon-TQ285-BL-Portable-Propane-Grill/dp/B00LA0Z5QS/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qi...
"You're a long time underground!"

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
Vintage465 wrote:
.... Ultimately it depends on how into BBQ and Grilling you are ..

No doubt the weberQ is popular but Sometimes the space a bbq takes up in an RV bay trumps all the bells and whistles. :W

What the OP wanted was a 'small' BBQ. And for some that have small bays there are other items that need to fit in those bays also!

I had a WeberQ and I have pretty large bays but that Q is bulky to store and just doesn't fold up flat the rounded top prevents you from putting anything on top of it. I found it a pain to store in the RV bay and gave it away. And ax I stated I went with a rectangular fold flat BBQ and then one step further to a cook stove BBQ with a laptop footprint in the bay.

The longer you are on the road RV'ing the more the KISS theory comes into play. :C

"What the OP wanted was a 'small' BBQ. And for some that have small bays there are other items that need to fit in those bays also!"

I consider the Q-1000 I have to be a small gas grill. I think there is 1200 and 2000? You could go smaller than a Q-1000, but you may start to lose quality.........but sometimes there may not be space for what you want
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
HTElectrical wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
TenOC wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
For me Weber is overrated and overpriced for what you get. Academy Sports has a 20,000 btu stainless steel grill for $100.00 Works great sits on the picnic table. Gets hotter and 100 bucks less

Can you supply more info on this grill. I did not see it on Academy Sports web page.

Can't post link. Just not that good. however it connects to a 20lb bottle, or could use the camper tank. The add says it is on sale at stores now. It is a "Outdoor Gourmet" 20,000 BTU 2 burner grill with folding legs, and latching lid.

There is another one just like it named the Pit Boss, and Home Depot has similar grills.

I really like it. Best camp grill we have ever had. Our camping buddies use 12,000 BTU Weber Qs. This is better. Remember. More power / BTUs is always better, and stainless is great

No such grill on Academy Sports + Outdoors for sale.

could be a regional thing. Came right up for me when I punched in Outdoor Gourmet, portable grill
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
TenOC wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
For me Weber is overrated and overpriced for what you get. Academy Sports has a 20,000 btu stainless steel grill for $100.00 Works great sits on the picnic table. Gets hotter and 100 bucks less

Can you supply more info on this grill. I did not see it on Academy Sports web page.

Can't post link. Just not that good. however it connects to a 20lb bottle, or could use the camper tank. The add says it is on sale at stores now. It is a "Outdoor Gourmet" 20,000 BTU 2 burner grill with folding legs, and latching lid.

There is another one just like it named the Pit Boss, and Home Depot has similar grills.

I really like it. Best camp grill we have ever had. Our camping buddies use 12,000 BTU Weber Qs. This is better. Remember. More power / BTUs is always better, and stainless is great

No such grill on Academy Sports + Outdoors for sale.
2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
.... Ultimately it depends on how into BBQ and Grilling you are ..

No doubt the weberQ is popular but Sometimes the space a bbq takes up in an RV bay trumps all the bells and whistles. :W

What the OP wanted was a 'small' BBQ. And for some that have small bays there are other items that need to fit in those bays also!

I had a WeberQ and I have pretty large bays but that Q is bulky to store and just doesn't fold up flat the rounded top prevents you from putting anything on top of it. I found it a pain to store in the RV bay and gave it away. And ax I stated I went with a rectangular fold flat BBQ and then one step further to a cook stove BBQ with a laptop footprint in the bay.

The longer you are on the road RV'ing the more the KISS theory comes into play. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, like pretty much everyone else here I use a Weber Q. It is a very good and easy to use grill. It make amazing burgers. But beyond burgers it is pretty unrefined. You can't turn off one of the burners cause it only has one. It is adjustable but it only goes so far down and cooking something like a tri-tip you have to really watch it as it can get pretty crusty on the out side trying to get the middle to medium rare. The Q also has no option for generating smoke for a nice flavor. I made a "snap on" smoke generator for mine and it definitely helps the taste of a longer cooked product like chicken thighs or a small roast like a tri-tip. I am thinking of getting one of the units pictured below. It has three separate burners: one for a smoke tray, and two for cooking. Any of them can be turned off to manage temperature and heat location. I would think you could do a small rack of baby backs on this little guy and get satisfactory results. I've read all kinds of reviews on it and they range from "it's the greatest things since sliced bread" to "this thing is a piece of Chinese junk" or "it came all banged up and got no customer service" and "It came all banged up and they sent me a new one and it's great". Ultimately it depends on how into BBQ and Grilling you are. If you're a guy like me that likes the option of putting some baby backs on indirect heat, feeding them steady light smoke over a 4hr period @ 225-250 degrees, you will see the short comings of the Q. If you just want to cook a burger, steaks or a piece of boneless chicken, the Q is definitely the ticket...it's a great, well made unit.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had a Weber Q for 10 years now. It has been great. I love the cast iron grate, it holds heat very well, and gives a good sear. I connect it to my onboard propane, so I've always got plenty of gas.

Cooks great, even heat, not hotspots, or flare ups.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will stick with my Weber Q200. Had it thru three campers now and best grill I ever had.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
TenOC wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I have used all of these small portable BBQ's and they all work great for grilling.

Home Depot Stainless Steel

Walmart legs fold flat underneath for storage.AND
Stainless steel burner.

Walmart wire legs fold up to secure lid for storage.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.