cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

T-Mobile Vs Verizon??

marc515
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have Verizon, but T-Mobile has a great plan for us slightly older folks. With the "55 Plus plan", you get 2 Lines of Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data for $60/Month, and that price includes all fees and taxes, which is a significant savings over Verizon.

How many of you guy have T-Mobile, and have you had any problems with coverage?

Thank you
m
Best Regards,....marc & joan
24 REPLIES 24

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our Tracfone/Verizon Android smart phones cost us on average $16/month for voice, text, and data, and our AT&T "Connected Car" (Mobley) unlimited 4G/LTE hotspot data plan costs $20/month. Plus we have a 3rd-party grey market Verizon unlimited 3G hotspot at $5/month we can use if we happen to find an AT&T dead spot, making our total monthly phone/data cost about $45 including fees & taxes.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dennyR
Explorer
Explorer
We have used T for the last decade. There are some coverage gaps, but the monies saved can buy us a couple Iphone X's. Being without phone coverage for a while doesn't matter in the big picture.
2000 Newmar Dutchstar DP
2004 Road King
1994 Jeep Wrangler

Bill_S_1
Explorer
Explorer
I just switched from AT&T due to price and poor cust serv. My DH went on MINTsim.com, which uses T-Mobile and AT&T towers, and I went with RedPocket, where you pick which carrier you want (ATT, Ver, T-Mo or Sprint). All same low price... one third of ATT's price.

I chose ATT, so I still have exactly the same coverage as I had, which was good, but at a much lower cost.

If we don't like this setup, I can swich our Moto G5 phone to ANY carrier, using RP, as they, and the phone are compatible with them all.
Bill, (aka Capt.Bill)
2002 Horizon 36LD, Cat 330
RVing since 1987
First State

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We have Verizon via Tracfone for our phones, and AT&T as our primary data provider with Verizon as a backup. We also have VOIP apps on our phones, so even if we should happen to find a non-Verizon area where only AT&T works, we still have phone service. We have previously had both Sprint and T-Mobile services, and dumped them both due to poor coverage. T-Mobile is better than Sprint, and T-Mobile has even better coverage if you have a new enough device that supports all five of the frequency bands T-M uses now, including band 71 that they're rolling out this year. Verizon and AT&T still beat it on overall coverage though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

marc515
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
I have had Verizon for over 10 years. It. Just. Works.

Agree!
m
Best Regards,....marc & joan

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I have had Verizon for over 10 years. It. Just. Works.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Our area is rural and Verizon hands down... Also we have had great customer support.
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

MrWizard
I have had no problems with Verizon customer service
Whether it was a billing error, service change, or replacing va broken phone
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ya....T-Mobile showed us "their" map - looked great, very impressive...until you actually get out and on the real road. The places we go were covered by the T-Mobile map, but we got little or no coverage.

Verizon worked great in these same places.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am going to talk to my T-Mobile person about that 55+ plan.....

For many years Verizon had the best coverage map. I mean most all the nation was covered by V, some gaps, but nobody is 100%.... My reason for not going with V has to do with previous bad experiences with the companies that merged to form it (Cuss-Some-More Service you see) I'm told they are good for Personal Cells but. Well. why risk it. TOo many stories where I am actually involved.

However AT&T a couple years ago made a MAJOR improvement in their coverage map and last I checked T-mobile had an agreement with AT&T since back in the day T-Mobile, well it was Omnipoint then, had the only GSM network and AT&T changed to GSM as well (The Codec for the phones,.. Or how they talk to the tower)

Today the maps all look a lot alike.. So I'm sticking with T.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have T-Mobile. We moved as coverage at our home was very poor with both ATT & Verizon (still is). T-Mobile had wifi calling first and now we have a 4g antenna in our home connected to our cable internet. Service is perfect. On the road coverage is a bit spotty at times but can always make calls if we find wifi. Coverage is not that critical for us and we are staying with T-Mobile. Of course coverage in the city is just fine. Has not been a problem at all. I am perfectly OK off-grid.

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. Switched to T-Mobile and had the same experience. In Metropolitan areas phones work fine, but in rural areas, you will have better luck with "smoke signals".
We are on the road now, but once we get home, will not consider leaving town until I switch from T-mobile:S
Dr Quick

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am no fan of Verizon, switched from AT&T years ago due to the terrible service. Verizon is expensive and a PITA to deal with but....they have the best coverage anywhere, period. If you RV and since you are here reading this I assume you do... you will have a better result with Verizon.

:C

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I can only think of a few spots deep in the Rockies that I had a T-mobile signal and not a Verizon. It is often I have Verizon but no T-Mobile.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator