cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago Vista LX 27N

wyocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Think I just bought a 2015 27N with under 15k miles. We went and drove it this evening and checked it over pretty good. The rattles going down a rough dirt road were just a few loose things in the galley that need battened down.

We started out looking at B+'s, then looked at C's, then landed on a small A gasser. Couldn't find anything about the Vista we didn't like. We liked the Thor Axis 24.1 too, but I wasn't sold on the quality. The Winnie seems like a much better quality coach to me.
2015 Winnebago Vista 27N
13 REPLIES 13

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
How about an update a year later? Hope everything is ironed out.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

wyocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't been here in a while but thought I'd throw up an update.

When we did a walk through the day we bought this, the dealer service tech said he'd make sure the unit was winterized before we picked it up. Cool, one less thing to worry about.

That was in late September. When I finally got the repaired unit home in early November I didn't really think that much about it. A few days after I got it home we had a pretty good cold snap. Guess what? When it finally occurred to me to check, I found a 1/3 full water tank frozen solid. I opened the drain and faucets and turned the furnace on and set it to 82 and let it sit for a few days, then was able to blow out all the lines with the exception of the kitchen sink. I was never able to get air out of those lines, but hopefully they'll be ok come spring.
2015 Winnebago Vista 27N

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
wyocamper wrote:
Finally picked this unit up today, complete with a brand new motor. Longish story coming.

Wish I was making this up, but I don't think I could really. When we first looked at the unit there was no oil filler cap, so we asked service to put one on. We scheduled a test drive a week or so later and the sales guy said service told him they'd taken care of it, and we didn't look until we got back from the test drive and opened the engine cover. Still no oil filler cap. I bought the unit anyway and they changed the oil and put a new filler cap on.

When I picked it up the oil pressure was low, but it came up when I accelerated. I asked about this and was told it was normal for this engine. Got about 2 miles from the dealer and the low oil pressure warning came on and the gauge went to zero. I pulled over and checked the oil level, then called the service department. The service manager said it was a faulty gauge, that a tech had tested it and found the pressure to be good.

I was skeptical but the oil level was good so I kept going. *Idiot* About 20 miles down the road the engine made a horrible screaming sound and I just barely got onto the shoulder before it died on me. Called the dealer and they sent a tow truck to pick it up and tow it to a truck service center. Got their report today when I picked it up. The tech pulled the valve covers and found a nitrile mechanics glove in the valve train that had possibly caused some oil starvation. He pulled the engine and did a complete teardown and found nitrile mechanics glove plugging the oil pump intake tube. The engine was destroyed.

So, rather than screw on a $5 filler cap some brainiac had stuck a nitrile glove over the filler tube. What could go wrong? Cost the dealer almost $13k for new long block and towing. But I got a really nice coach with a brand new engine.

15K isn't a lot of miles but a fresh build is better...good luck with the new unit
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love our 27n. It has only had a few little problems. We have noticed that the paint on the exterior around the slides is starting to change colors.
Easy fix, but annoying,
Hope the new rig works out for you.
Bill

lostscout
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Winnebago 27 and have had too many problems to mention. Winnebado has helped with none of them. If I could afford to get rid of this unit I would.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
WOW
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

wyocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Finally picked this unit up today, complete with a brand new motor. Longish story coming.

Wish I was making this up, but I don't think I could really. When we first looked at the unit there was no oil filler cap, so we asked service to put one on. We scheduled a test drive a week or so later and the sales guy said service told him they'd taken care of it, and we didn't look until we got back from the test drive and opened the engine cover. Still no oil filler cap. I bought the unit anyway and they changed the oil and put a new filler cap on.

When I picked it up the oil pressure was low, but it came up when I accelerated. I asked about this and was told it was normal for this engine. Got about 2 miles from the dealer and the low oil pressure warning came on and the gauge went to zero. I pulled over and checked the oil level, then called the service department. The service manager said it was a faulty gauge, that a tech had tested it and found the pressure to be good.

I was skeptical but the oil level was good so I kept going. *Idiot* About 20 miles down the road the engine made a horrible screaming sound and I just barely got onto the shoulder before it died on me. Called the dealer and they sent a tow truck to pick it up and tow it to a truck service center. Got their report today when I picked it up. The tech pulled the valve covers and found a nitrile mechanics glove in the valve train that had possibly caused some oil starvation. He pulled the engine and did a complete teardown and found nitrile mechanics glove plugging the oil pump intake tube. The engine was destroyed.

So, rather than screw on a $5 filler cap some brainiac had stuck a nitrile glove over the filler tube. What could go wrong? Cost the dealer almost $13k for new long block and towing. But I got a really nice coach with a brand new engine.
2015 Winnebago Vista 27N

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't want to have to pay for work on the Mercedes down the road.
bumpy

wyocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the things that I read on this board made me lean toward Winnebago/Itasca, whether it was an A, C or B+. The steel lined wheel wells, fiberglass roof and overall build quality were big factors.

There are still a few of the B+ Sprinters that I think I'd rather have, but they all cost 20-40k more than I'm paying for this Vista.
2015 Winnebago Vista 27N

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
You increased your odds! Enjoy!
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
non rubber/tpo roof. better choice
bumpy

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Think I just bought a 2015 27N..."

Are you missing a check? That might confirm a purchase.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Class A...Much better choice.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic