cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need an add-on reading lamp

Flatfive
Explorer
Explorer
Our TT has a light above the bed but it's too far in front of us. We need to wear ballcaps with brims for shading our eyes to read in bed. I want two LED lamps, maybe gooseneck type or just circular disc type that are 12V. Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2014 TT came with a 1/2 size LED pancake light on each side of the bed adjacent to each closet. Ugly as sin IMO and a poor choice for a reading light. The upper cabinet has a false bottom so I removed the original lights and installed a pair of low lumen recessed puck lights and they work pretty good. Way less side glare compared to the pancake lights. Looks factory original too.

I used a pair of them so that the screw holes would be covered up. DW often reads before going to sleep and the lights don't bother me at all and I need a darkened room to sleep. I also installed a switch on the side of the closet on each side of the bed while in there.

Best location for a reading light would be in center of the bed against the bed head wall and aimed to each side. I used an aircraft style reading light like that in a previous TT. One option would be a recessed or surface adjustable LED puck light like in the photo.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one with a 16" flexible neck.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We use dollarstore puck lights on the wall at the head of our bed. DW has one that tilts a little.
For reading at the dinette, I made little holders for 36 LED boards:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26180105/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The web site says they are 190 lumens but that doesn't mean much to me.

Thanks, Barney!
Yeah 190 lumens is fairly bright. No eye strain there.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is the reading lamps we installed in our Creek Side. Dang! $38.00 each!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flatfive wrote:
Our TT has a light above the bed but it's too far in front of us. We need to wear ballcaps with brims for shading our eyes to read in bed. I want two LED lamps, maybe gooseneck type or just circular disc type that are 12V. Any ideas?

Any chance you have a Creek Side! That's what I have and we had the same issue. I purchased two "push button" LED reading lights from Camping World. I think they may have called them Compass Lights. I had to cut a two inch hole with a hole saw and they popped right in...after I tagged a ground and hot wire off the original blinding light. I put one at each corner of the cabinet....perfect.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
We don't read in bed but I am sure they would be bright enough to read by comfortably. I use ours frequently when I need to get out of bed for some reason in the early morning and my wife is already up. The web site says they are 190 lumens but that doesn't mean much to me.

Also use them anytime a bright light is needed while sitting on the bed doing some task. They are much brighter than the overhead light and the light is focused. They are also a very convenient reach to turn on or off rather than having to get up and go to the wall switch or reach up to the ceiling.

Edit: I just went to the website and read some of the reviews for the light. Most loved it and said it was perfect for reading. Maybe I should start reading in bed!:B
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

westend
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
These are very similar to the ones over the head of our bed. They can be mounted on the back wall or on the underside of a cabinet if desired.
Barney

Barney, Have any idea about lumen output of those lights? The Amazon page doesn't reveal the output level. Is it good for reading?

The fixture, itself, looks attractive and durable.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
even if you don't buy them here it a good place to see whats available there is a wide variety to choose from rv wall light

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
These are very similar to the ones over the head of our bed. They can be mounted on the back wall or on the underside of a cabinet if desired.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure this will work for you but we replaced our original reading lights with two from Amazon made by Gustafson Lighting. The number was 51AM-559XY for $38 each. They have a swivel neck so the light can be pointed in almost any direction. Our lights on our back wall above the twin beds.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
It depends on the layout around your bed, but in my case an LED license plate light was just the ticket.

Very small, pretty bright, very inconspicuous and best of all, very inexpensive.

I put it off to the side and facing down, it only shines in my eyes if I look 90 deg to the side.

I used a few under the curb side of the coach too, they're (obviously) weatherproof and light up the ground nicely but you're not sitting under a spotlight.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered battery operated LED lights? Possibly with rechargeable AAs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad